PDA

View Full Version : Main Pulley Repair (LTR Motor)


wakescene
04-16-2007, 01:55 PM
So this past weekend I removed the main pulley off the crank of my Maristar 210VRS LTR motor. Over the last two seasons I began to notice that I was chewing thru serpentine belts. At least 2 per season. I guess the saltwater boating is beginning to show a little. I finally decided to take care of things...

Getting the main pulley off is a chore even though I am mechanically inclined and have plently of tools for a simple job like this. AFter attempting the regular paths with no luck...I ultimately had to resort to tapping the bolts with a hammer and flat head chisel to attempt to loosen their kungfu grip, then scrap off the paint from the head of the bolt and inside the hex key area just to get the hex key in the bolts. Then gently(read as hard as I could with the limited travel space I had) tap the hex key end with a 4lb hammer for 30-60 raps till the bolt finally moved. Then due to space, could only move the 1.25"long bolt 1/4 to 1/2 turn per action till it was completey removed. Then I got to repeat it two more times. This was all because if you have very tight bolts and you try to move them...the crank moves as well so you have to isolate the actions. Even with the belt attached it made no difference.

Once removed...I cleaned it real well, sanded the pulley to removed the loose paint then hit the bench grinder's wire wheel. After about 20 min she was sparkling clean. Cleaned real well with carb cleaner. Wrapped the important stuff in tape and proceeded to paint the pulley. Painting went well and she looks shiney new again!

If you notice, the impeller housing is also tied to this pulley. I repeated the process for the Impeller houseing as well. Both units look great and now all I have to do is reinstall the pulley and housing and were back in business.

Just wanted to share.
KG

kskib046
04-16-2007, 11:11 PM
wow, i got mine off in 15 minutes, salt must make a difference. i upgraded to the new pulley because i was shredding' belts also, it was a $200 waste of money. the next thing i did was put on a new alternator bracket (indmar recommendation), it looked the same as the old but the posts measured 1/8" different in a couple of places. that was in the fall so i don't know how much it helped.

wakescene
04-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Hey thanks for sharing. I'll say if any bracket they should update it's the chinsey one that holds the impeller housing.

wakescene
04-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Here are some pics of the final result. (fyi, I didn't do the impeller cover b/c is bronze whereas the casing is cast and suscetable to rusting/pitting)

http://www.wakeboardnj.com/pictures/Image01.jpg
http://www.wakeboardnj.com/pictures/Image03.jpg
http://www.wakeboardnj.com/pictures/Image05.jpg