PDA

View Full Version : Lake Grew FL - Skiing for AWSA Members

BuoyChaser
04-16-2007, 02:05 PM
here's a video of the building of Lake Grew... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tliy2m5t8Bc
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tliy2m5t8Bc)
has anyone heard an update, is it open all season long???isn't there a deal for AWSA skiers to ski there???heard they have a 197 ProStar Promo Boat...

atlfootr
04-16-2007, 02:32 PM
I heard they were working on re-grading the shallowness of the lake, there was h2o in it the last time I was there but it was very very low.

In fact, when they held the '06 Barefoot Nationals I remember guy's falling in the middle of their Trick Run and standing up in below waist deep waters.

Where you plann'n on going there anytime soon?
I live 40 minutes away from there, USA WaterSki HQ's that is 8p

BlackwaterMC
04-16-2007, 04:05 PM
where is lake grew

Jim@BAWS
04-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Grew has ALWAYS been a shallow lake. It should have been dug deeper at the outset. I am really pleased that they are digging it deeper. When we picked up the 197 in Dec/Jan, Roger S. at USA WATERSKI HQ had not driven the lake for almost a month. The MC boat owners reunion in Oct was WAY TO SHALLOW. Really glad to see it is being deepened

Jim@BAWS

PS Lake Grew is located behind USA WaterSki Headquarters in Poly City Florida right along side I-4

BuoyChaser
04-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Lake Grew was built by USA Waterski and it located at the Hall of Fame Museum...click here to find out more details: http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/LakeGrew/LakeGrewUsagePolicy.pdf

VII. Water Ski Experience Club, Ski Procedures
USA Water Ski Active Members (call for appointment)
Single Set $25

Water Ski Experience Club Members $20

NON USA Water Ski Members
Single Set (Guest Membership Included) $50

Additional Sets (same day) $20 ea.

hacker
04-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I know a little;) about what's going on at Lake Grew. The video at the beginning of this thread is one I shot (4/15/07) and posted on "YouTube".
What most people never realized is the bottom of the lake was not flat and contained many berms and other "high" spots, also the shorelines were never sloped. For the most part it was OK when the lake was full. However since central Florida has been in drought conditions for quite some time the lake didn't stay full for long. As the water level went down it became apparent the lake would have to be closed for safety reasons, which occurred last fall. Finally earlier this spring they got around to hiring someone to fix the lake.
What started out as just a repair to the lake has turned into a total "re-dig". They put a dam in the middle of the lake and pumped the water out of the east end. Go to Schnitz's site (http://www.schnitzskis.com/tournaments/lakegrew.html) to see pictures of how bad the bottom of lake was. Once the east end of the lake is done, they will pump the water back and fix the west end. When the re-dig is done we won't have to wait for a hurricane to fill it back up, as they plan to punch a couple of wells for the water supply.
In the interim USA WaterSki members can still get skiing sets (including their free set) on an alternative site near the headquarters/HOF building. Unfortunately there is only a Nautique there now! (Jim?)

SkiDog
04-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Looks to me like whoever built that lake didn't really know what they were doing. Too many stumps & high spots.:confused:

atlfootr
04-23-2007, 11:59 PM
I know a little;) about what's going on at Lake Grew. thanks hack for the pics :D

hacker
06-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Pictures taken on Memorial Day (credit to gchapman-tt)

hacker
06-01-2007, 10:12 AM
It's my understanding the west end of the lake won't take as long to complete. Also, they put some wells in for water. Here is another shot:

hacker
06-01-2007, 10:43 AM
First shot was looking east, second shot is looking west. This is looking NE (about):

#47of100TeamMC
06-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Anybody know when they pull sets for USA waterski members? I'll be there next weekend, Do they pull on the weekends? only weekdays? do you need an appointment? I have tried to get additional info by emailing the supposed coordinator, but no response yet.

hacker
06-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Anybody know when they pull sets for USA waterski members? I'll be there next weekend, Do they pull on the weekends? only weekdays? do you need an appointment? I have tried to get additional info by emailing the supposed coordinator, but no response yet.

Wish I could give you better news, but they laid off the Lake Facilities Coordinator till the lake is done. Don't know why, he was pulling people at an alternative site while Lake Grew was closed and he was supervising the construction crew.

Once the lake is finished everything should be back to normal. Pretty much ski anytime during the week, weekends by appointment only.

#47of100TeamMC
06-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Wish I could give you better news, but they laid off the Lake Facilities Coordinator till the lake is done. Don't know why, he was pulling people at an alternative site while Lake Grew was closed and he was supervising the construction crew.

Once the lake is finished everything should be back to normal. Pretty much ski anytime during the week, weekends by appointment only.

So I should just call there instead probably to set something up huh?
Thanks for the info.

#47of100TeamMC
06-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Unfortunately found out that skiing isn't an option for USA members because of the construction on the lake, and their doesn't seem to be a site elsewhere that they are pulling sets either. Although, I did get the cell phone # for Lucky Lowe... Talked to him for about 10min. That was pretty fun! he said he might be around this weekend sunday, but wasn't sure. Said to give him a call back this weekend when I'm down there... That would be pretty fun to hang out with Lucky for a day.