PDA

View Full Version : Prop Preference for a 86 prostar

Scot
01-24-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm tying to advantage of the lull between the Christmas holidays and Valentine's Day spending sprees and thought I would sneak in a new prop. I currently have a 13x13 3blade.... I would like to get a little more top end.... should I get to the 13x12? 3blade or 4blade? Brand?

BTW, I love this place!

east tx skier
01-24-2005, 07:00 PM
If you're looking for more top end, neither reducing the pitch, nor going four blade is your answer. I don't know what your answer is, but Bill Weeks might. www.acmemarine.com

Ski-A-Rees
01-27-2005, 06:37 PM
I'll have to check my prostar on the prop size but I know my 84 -19 skier has a 13x13 LH.

east tx skier
01-27-2005, 06:48 PM
A prostar with a 1:1 gear ratio and a factory prop will run a 13x13. If the prop is a CNC prop, i.e. acme, or OJ XMP, then the same target RPM/HP can be achieved with less pitch.

Andyg
01-28-2005, 11:56 AM
On skiertoskier.com website they claim a 2 mph gain with the 3 Blade XMP. I am planning on trying either an OJ or ACME CNC 3 blade prop this spring. I will post my results on which prop I select.

Tom Wortham
01-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Scot,
I have an 86 as well.. I have always keeped with the OJ 13x13 LH that came with it. What is your top end now? If you are like me I'm spoiled having a smooth surface behind the boat... I mean there is zero wake. :D I wonder if you would loose a little of that by changing props. Keep us posted. :popcorn:

east tx skier
01-28-2005, 12:28 PM
What rooster tail I had at 22 off seemed to flatten out a bit with my prop change. The before picture is a frame grab and poor quality, but will give you a little basis of comparison, albeit a different hull design. Pics to follow.

east tx skier
01-28-2005, 12:29 PM
This is with the stock OJ 13x13 3 blade at 36 mph.

east tx skier
01-28-2005, 12:31 PM
This is after the change to the Acme 13x12 CNC 3 blade. Also 36 mph.

Tom Wortham
01-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Doug, Is the second shot at 36 as well?
I'll get some wake (or lack there of) pics out as soon as I get her back in the water.

east tx skier
01-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Edited above. Sorry. Yes, both are at 36 mph using perfect pass and checked by GPS.

JohnnyB
01-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Absolutely love the website and got online tonight to specifically post a similar question to the discussion in this thread. My 92 PS 190 has an annoying rooster tail and turbulent middle wake. For slalom it's no big deal....I love the slalom wake on this boat. However, for footin' it is more of an issue. I'm hoping that I can change props from the stock 13 X 13 to something that will minimize this without speed loss. East Tx Skier, how did you arrive at switching from stock 13X13 to 13x12? Was there something you gave up with respect to top end, hole shot, etc. Your wake looks like what I'm hoping my end result will be.

Here's a picture of my wake at 40mph, note the rooster tail. I'm on a 100ft line. The boat is moderately loaded with driver, spotter and some gear. This is on a '92 PS190 w/ 285HP 351HO, stock 13x13 3-blade prop.

André
01-29-2005, 10:53 PM
JohnnyB
Welcome!Took you a while to post but...!
My 94 rooster tail is not that big and at 40 mph almost dissapear and we have the same hull.Stock O.J. 13 x 13.
Doug went with a C.N.C. machined prop.He didn't lose any top end and gain a bit on holeshot.He only slalom and his boat is always lightly loaded.
ACME seems to have a good reputation on the board.
I would like to change mine too...Anybody wants to give me an early birthday gift?

JohnnyB
01-29-2005, 11:12 PM
2 posts down, 1000s more to come. Dealing with the depression of ski season ending in early November and putting my beloved MC away shortly thereafter was rough.....didn't have much to say but enjoyed the daily reading. With upcoming boat shows, recent Waterski Mag Boat Buyer's issue, etc the next season seems to be in reach again and I'm back to thinking about maintainance and upgrades. Hoping for an early thaw to put me back on the water in late april or early may!!!

André
01-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Yep,that's the time of year where we all go nuts!!!
Where are you?

JohnnyB
01-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Just north of Green Bay, WI....Born a Packer Fan!!! Just realized that was part of the profile and updated it!! The picture in the post is from mid October....36deg air temp, 52 deg water temp.....but, couldn't resist the glass!!!!

How far are you from Montreal?

André
01-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Now i live full time on the lake but i'm from South shore of Montreal.It's a 1 ¾ hours drive from where i live now.
Going there on friday for the boat show...

Footin
01-30-2005, 04:56 PM
JohnnyB,

I am in the same prediciment. On my 94 PS 205 I have a stock OJ 13X13 and will use the boat primarily for footin, I am thinking about the Acme 13X12 (larger blade area thus lower pitch) and this should hold the same top end; however I would give up some bottom end to gain more top speed so I might go with an Acme 13X13.
I am curious what the Acme would do to change the turbulence of the wake.

So by all means, go by one and let me know! hehehe.

Footin.

André
01-30-2005, 05:40 PM
I think there also a 13 x 12.5 or12.65 not sure.
Could be an option if you're affraid of loosing top speed.

east tx skier
01-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Acme has an online form that you fill out with info such as horsepower, boat weight, max. rpms at WOT, max speed WOT, etc. They also will want to know what the boat is used for. In my case, slalom and I was pretty satisfied with my hole shot, but could always use a little more. With that information, they recommended the 13x12 (or the 13x11.5 with a little loss in top end, but more hole shot).

I have lost absolutely no top end with the loss in pitch, but have gained a bit of hole shot. You can drop pitch without losing top end because of the CNC finishing process and the larger surface area on the acme 3 blade as of a few years ago (or so I've been made to understand).

east tx skier
01-31-2005, 11:50 AM
Just read some more. By all means, call Bill Weeks at acme as he can tell you exactly what to expect. I believe Farmer Ted has the 13x12.65 on his boat.

Andyg
01-31-2005, 03:55 PM
This is the actual response I got from ACME when I contacted them about getting a new prop for my boat. I have a 2003 PS197 MCX 1:1 tranny.

"I am suggesting that you purchase the Acme part # 843 13 x 12 three blade
nibral spline bore .080 cup. This propeller sells for $369.00. This three
blade will give you the extra speed for barefootin that you are looking for.
Pleae feel free to e mail your shipping address & call with your credit card
information."

It sounds like they give out some conflicting information based on what you ask them you are looking for. You never know I guess until you try it.

east tx skier
01-31-2005, 04:20 PM
It sounds like they give out some conflicting information based on what you ask them you are looking for. You never know I guess until you try it.

I guess I don't understand your post, what specifically is conflicting about the information they gave you?

G-man
01-31-2005, 04:29 PM
when I got a prop from them it didn't have the rpms I was looking for. I called them and told them what I was getting and they sent me a different prop. It was perfect for what I wanted. I shipped back the other prop and got a credit. I put a 13X11.5 on a 93 285HO. It turned 4600rpms 44.something mph. I chose this one for more power when pulling up my 235lb friend on a short setup slalom course.

Andyg
02-01-2005, 01:06 PM
East tx skier,
It sounded like they recommended the same prop for both of our applications, 13X12 CNC 3 Blade. You were looking for hole shot and I am looking for top end. Based on your experience you did not get any more top end with this prop but a better hole shot. Now how can this same prop give my boat more top end. It seems contradictory to me.

east tx skier
02-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Ah, I see. Sorry. I suppose it depends on what prop you're running now. On one website I checked, they had the OJ XMP props labled for MC at 13x11.5 (don't know if that's stock for the XMP). Also, if you're running stock (be it XMP or OJ Force), you're running a four blade, right? If you go to a 3 blade, you ought to see more top end than with a four blade even if it's not a CNC prop.

What do you have on there now?

The fact is that there's probably (and this is sort of a guess) only so much a propeller is going to do for your top end. I'm not a barefooter so I ask this legitimately, how much speed do you need? I always thought it was about 45 mph. A lot of footers go for the Malibus because they tend to top out at around 50 from what I've heard.

Andyg
02-01-2005, 01:46 PM
I forgot about that fact of going from a four blade to a three blade.

The faster the better. I was really used to footin behind my PS190 with the Lt-1 and that hit around 46 MPH. Now that I am footin behind a 2003 with an OJ 4 blade and MCX I max out around 41-42 MPH. It actually feels like I am sinking, granted I also could stand to loose a few pounds. What is easier, dropping 15 lbs or getting more speed, sometimes I wonder! Also I am the smallest guy out my friends that barefoot and I weigh about 210 so I am sure they would appreciate any top end gains I can get.

Ski-A-Rees
02-01-2005, 02:21 PM
I checked that prop on my 89 PS 190 and it has a 13x13 LH prop

east tx skier
02-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I forgot about that fact of going from a four blade to a three blade.

The faster the better. I was really used to footin behind my PS190 with the Lt-1 and that hit around 46 MPH. Now that I am footin behind a 2003 with an OJ 4 blade and MCX I max out around 41-42 MPH. It actually feels like I am sinking, granted I also could stand to loose a few pounds. What is easier, dropping 15 lbs or getting more speed, sometimes I wonder! Also I am the smallest guy out my friends that barefoot and I weigh about 210 so I am sure they would appreciate any top end gains I can get.

I was always told you lose about 1-2 miles per hour going 3 blade to 4 blade. So, the converse ought to be true. It's always surprised me that the newer boats don't hit higher speeds at WOT with approximately 60 more horses than my twelve-year-old boat. With slalom, it's really all about torque, which I don't doubt you've got coming out from every angle. Is it the extra weight, more wetted surface, what? :confused:

Oh, and it might be easier to lose 15 lbs. Try The Zone. I dropped 25 lbs in two months this time last year and have kept it off with no trouble (and have since abandoned the diet).

Andyg
02-01-2005, 03:50 PM
I actually contacted MasterCraft about this shortly after I bought my boat. I was really surprised that the boat was running in the low 40s. They said that it was due to the wetted hull. You can only push so much hull through the water. I did discover they had the wrong prop on my boat after having the boat for about a week. I got an extra 1 mph when I got the correct prop.

I always get a kick out the fact when people ask me how big a motor is in my boat and I say 350 HP and there next question is how fast does it go. Then I tell them 43 mph and you should see the look on there faces.

east tx skier
02-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Hey, I'll trade you straight up for it. :)

I've been trying to join the 300 hp club over the winter. I think I'm just going to settle for some more torque and go skiing though.

PeteS
02-03-2005, 10:26 AM
I have a '88 PS 190, with a relatively stock 351 in it. I went from the stock 13 x 13 OJ I believe, to a reccomended Acme 13 x 12 #541.

My observations were that I gained torque, kept the same top end (which is slow due to a carb issue), and eliminated vibrations -- it is the smoothest running prop I've ever felt. The wake flattened out substantially as well, on all line lengths.

East TX and myself had similiar positive experiences. You will pay for it mind you, but since it sounds like you are going from a 4-blade to a 3-blade, you'll gain top end there as well. Do some internet searches as well, as I found out after my purchase from Acme, you may be able to find it cheaper somewhere online. Good luck!

east tx skier
02-03-2005, 11:20 AM
You can definitely find it cheaper somewhere else? The part number for mine was #541. 543 is the 13x11.5 I believe.

Schnitz got me mine for $293 delivered. The Propellers Online link above has them for $317 or so. Acme sells some cosmetic blems (nothing wrong with them) for around $300 or so.

BrianM
02-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Pete,

Glad to see your results from that prop. I posted awhile back that I was thinking about trying one but was hesitant going to the 13x 12. Sounds like you had exactly the results I am looking for and we have the same boat. Just bought the Perfect Pass but I think I am going to buy the prop as and early birthday present to myself.

Can you double check what your model number and pitch is. It sound like there is a descrepence between your number and Doug's. Thanks......Brian

Andyg
02-03-2005, 02:48 PM
I believe the 843 is a splined shaft prop for new Mastercrafts.

east tx skier
02-03-2005, 06:51 PM
That was my thought.

541 is a 13x12 for a 1" shaft LHR.
543 is a 13x11.5 for a 1" shaft LHR.

Keep in mind that I haven't looked at these for a year now, so the part numbers may have changed.

PeteS
02-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Brian,

Sorry to have misled you, I stand corrected. Doug was right on target, my part number is #AM541, and the prop is a 13 x 12, 1" shaft diameter, LHR, with a cup of .080.

Andy is right also, the #843 may be for a splined shaft, but other than that all of the dimensions should be the same on the 843 and 541. Hopefully that helps. I'm also sorry I didn't see your post looking for info on the prop, I would have surely jumped in letting you know my experiences. Anyway, you should love it -- it'll be the perfect early birthday gift.

I'm refinancing my house (already), so therefore I won't be purchasing the PP system for 2 weeks or so. Is everything still working great on yours? I can't wait myself. I'll let you know when I do.

Thanks,
Pete

east tx skier
02-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Pete, that month or so mortgage grace period after the re-fi should give you a good opportunity to get that Perfect Pass. 30 year rates just went down yesterday. Make sure you've still got a good rate. I did it last year and pushed my 30 to a 15 with 4.75%.

BrianM
02-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys. I double checked with Bill at Acme and the 13 x 12 non splined is the #541. I am going to drop Schnitz an e-mail and try and get one ordered.

JohnnyB
02-05-2005, 02:44 PM
BrianM, you should be out with your new prop setup long before the ice is off the lakes here. Let me know what your results are. It would be interesting to see before and after pics as well. As I said way back in this thread, I'm looking for a less turbulent wake and no drop in holeshot or top end...

What is the HP of your 88PS?