PDA

View Full Version : How to remove dash on '98 Prostar?

alpine740
04-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Anyone know how to remove the dash from a '98 Prostar 190? I just want to remove it far enough to replace a rocker panel switch and put a depth finder in place of the volt meter. Does the steering wheel / column have to be removed? I have removed the tach/speedo panel to install a PerfectPass and it looks like there are two angle brackets towards the front that would need to be removed. Not sure what else.

captain planet
04-16-2007, 10:24 AM
You have to remove the steering wheel and pull out the assembly. From what I can remember, this will free up the dash that is closest to you. Now is where it gets tricky, and a little hard to explain.

If you lift up your dash just enough to see all the way back up underneath towards the front of the boat, use a flashlight and you will see two plastic "straps" that connect the dash with the deck. The side of the strap that is connected to the deck is attached with screws. The side of the strap that is connected to the dash is GLUED. If you lift up too far, YOU WILL BREAK THE STRAP! Trust me I know. :mad:

Now if I recall correctly, if you lift up the dash far enough to get your arm in to get a screwdriver on the screw, you will break the strap. What you need to do is crawl up underneath the front of the deck and find these two screws and twist them back out with a pair of pliers. This isn't easy. Once out far enough they will pop out. Once these are out, your dash should be free.

Now when I reinstalled my dash, I scrapped the screws and installed real small bolts and used "wiz-locks" on the head of the bolt so while I was tightening the nut the bolt wasn't turning. It is not a fun job, and I could possibly be an idiot, but this was what I encountered in my 98.

Hope this helps.

BrianM
04-16-2007, 10:40 AM
The dash on your 98 is the same as my 97. You should be able to just remove the screws on the panel that has the rocker switches and pull it out by itself. Same with the small panel that holds the volt meter. No need to pull the entire dash off. Here is a pic of the panel removed that holds the ignition switch and rockers on the left side of the steering wheel. I had to replace my temperature gauge and that panel had to be wiggled a little to get it out but pretty much did the same thing.

captain planet
04-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Brian,
I just looked at the pics of your boat and your dash is different from mine. He may be able to replace a rocker switch with out pulling the dash, but there is no way to change out the volt meter with a depth finder without pulling the dash. Now my boat is the Anniversary so the dash may be a little different from other 98 prostars, but that is what I encountered. On my boat there aren't those separate panels like on your boat, but I wish there were.

BrianM
04-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Hmmm! I looked in the marketplace to confirm my thoughts and found a '98 Prostar and the dash was the same. I thought they didn't change to that intigrated dash until 99. I could be wrong. This is the '98 from the marketplace. Same dash as me.

BrianM
04-16-2007, 11:12 AM
And here is a pic of a 30th. Same dash.

BrianM
04-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Did they maybe just make those top three gauge panels not removable in 1998?

BrianM
04-16-2007, 11:21 AM
This is the '99 and up dash. Maybe it was a mid year '98 change.

alpine740
04-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. My '98 dash is the same as pictured above; it is not the '99 style. Looks like the '97 rocker switch panel has screws you can access from the front; the '98 has wingnuts that have to be loosened from the backside. I can loosen three of them but cannot loosen one of the top ones.
I have figured out that the small tach/speedo panel can be removed easily by reaching underneath and flipping four latches that hold that panel in place which gives you pretty easy access to the straps that captain planet describes. Thanks for confirming that the steering wheel needs to be removed.
Any idea if the original style rocker switches are still available? If I get it installed, I'll post some photos.

BrianM
04-16-2007, 09:14 PM
My '98 dash is the same as pictured above; it is not the '99 style. Looks like the '97 rocker switch panel has screws you can access from the front; the '98 has wingnuts that have to be loosened from the backside.
Any idea if the original style rocker switches are still available? If I get it installed, I'll post some photos.
Nothing like progress! :rolleyes:

Any idea if the original style rocker switches are still available?
Don't know if the originals are still available but West Marine has rockers that look to be identical.

captain planet
04-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Sorry if my memory was a little fuzzy, it has been 8 years since I installed my depth finder and haven't had my dash out since.

It is nice to know that the tach and speedo panel comes out. I will keep that in my head for future reference.