PDA

View Full Version : just got back from the lake and

rem_p
08-03-2004, 10:08 PM
dang did i have a good time. ive been tinkerin with the old boat tryin to fix all the little things that were wrong and since i had those fixed i figured id like to go out on the lake when i got off work today and give it a whirl...well me and my parents and the girlfriend all went out and rode four about 4 hours...i didnt get to ski because my ski's are in a friends hurricane...but i did get to take my kneeboard and ride it for a while. that boat has some power man snatched me up out of the water as soon as i told dad to go. about the time we were getting ready to go i did experience some problems with the boat starting to skip...i think its possibly bad points, or plugs, or wires, or coil or....? :confused: any way ive decided to go on a do away with the points and put a pertronix kit on it...also have decided to change the plugs/and wires since i have still yet to do this...im gonna try to get all this done tommorrow so hopefully i can let yall know how it all turns out by thursday or at least the weekend....any way done got excited again and had to share before i busted :dance:

lakes Rick
08-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Always a great feeling to "solve " a problem and get your "diagnostics" correct... Makes the boating even more pleasurable.. Be sure to post after you have completed the above..

east tx skier
08-04-2004, 11:29 AM
We had a great evening on the lake last night, too. This is so, even despite the morons we encountered. We can always overcome the rough water with two things: (1) the happiness we get from just being on the lake, and (2) the fact that I have an 8 foot wooden water ski that rides at 40+ mph and don't need no stinkin' smooth water. Take that tubers!

Actually, one really irritating thing was the Malibu response overstuffed with about 10 teenagers. They were ahead of us to load their boat, and once they got it on the trailer, they pulled up ten feet, almost completely blocking the ramp, and proceeded to start wiping it down.

My wife simply threaded the needle with our trailer and one of them said, I guess we're in the way?!? No kidding. The guy in the nautique behind me had to squeeze his trailer in like we did. Fortunately for him, it took us approximately 20 seconds to get that boat on the trailer and pull it up to one of 20 empty parking spaces 50 yards away from the ramp. We wiped down our boat, got our gear sorted, and were on our way; they were still blocking the ramp when we left.

If I ever have kids, and they become teenagers, who somehow talk me into letting them take the boat out by themselves, I'd better never hear of them doing something so inconsiderate.

Happy place, happy place. Sorry for the rant.

bcampbe7
08-04-2004, 11:45 AM
For the past few weeks we have been putting in at a ramp that flourishes with rednecks and their children. This is the ramp where everyone, including their brothercousin, swim. This past Sunday night my wife let me off at the dock and I backed the trailer in while trying to get the people to move off the “concrete beach.”
Another ramp we use quite often is big enough to unload 2 boats simultaneously. A few months ago some brain child decides to back down the center, unload his fishing boat and drive down the lake, leaving his non-running truck on the ramp. Had it been unlocked, it may have “accidentally” rolled backwards so just the front end was out of water. :)

bonedoc
08-04-2004, 12:09 PM
I especially like the PWC and jet-boat owners who like to practice their dough-nut spinning technique 25 feet from the loading ramp. Last weekend I watched the Tige owner loading up ahead of me turning redder and redder as his boat bouced off his guide poles and bunks as 2 seadoos "played" in the no wake zone around the ramp. As I was loading, I watched as one seadoo rider pulled in to shore and walked past the Tige owner wiping his boat down on his way to the bathroom. The Tige owner stood up and punched him full square in the lips and had a few choice things to say. The funniest thing was, the look on the guys face as he was sitting on the ground totally said he knew he deserved it...thoughts several applauding boat owners echoed.

But, with every outing, I become convinced more and more that PWC and most other boat owners must have frontal labotomies performed at the time of purchase. Why is it that a boat load of rednecks pulling 3 kids in inner tubes behind a 1974 peterborough has to drive past 10' off the starboard side when you are just chillin in the lake, listening to some tunes, all grinnin and wavin like they just saw the pope? Maybe the other 420 square miles of lake just isn't quite the same. :mad: Hopefully the mandatory marine liscencing coming into effect here will fix some of these problems.

oh well, just my :twocents:

OhioProstar
08-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Unfortunately there are all sorts of drivers out there with different levels of boating experience and without someone who knows how to drive to teach them. I would think a mandatory training class would make sense. I grew up on a lake and was taught by my dad who grew up on Lake Huron. Most of the major things were taught to me, but many of the small etiquette things have to be learned, especially loading/unloading.

jake
08-04-2004, 01:33 PM
I agree. Seems wrong that just anyone can go buy a boat and go directly to the boat ramp where they are free to endanger the lives and good times of everyone else on the lake.

I grew up on the water. When I turned 14 my parents had me take the Coast Guards boater safety course so I could use the boat without them. It's done through the mail (at least it was 15 years ago) and after passing the test you get a license that allows you to operate a boat over 40hp.

I'd recommend the course to anyone who is new to boating. I've gone back to the book that I got several times just to remember things. It's a good reference on basic rules of the road and safety topics.

jake
08-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Whoo-hoo...finally a regular!!

mastercraft1995
08-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Here in Oregon we have to take a boaters safety course. The only thing it teaches is the rules. It doesn't teach you Boating Etiquette and how not to be a Knuckle Head.

OhioProstar
08-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Looks like they suggest a bunch of different safety courses. Maybe some of you guys with soon to be drivers can take advantage of this:

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/safety_courses.htm

jake
08-04-2004, 01:51 PM
I agree...etiquite is lost in today's world, but that's true everywhere, not just on the water.

east tx skier
08-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Thanks for feeling my pain. Love the story about the Tige owner.

bonedoc
08-04-2004, 02:36 PM
No Probs....yes, the Tige owner hauling off on that idiot provided a perfect ending to an otherwise fantastic day at the lake :dance: