PDA

View Full Version : FREE College inside Maxium Prison ....

atlfootr
04-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Bart College, it's college education in todays prision society were Murders get freely educated
and recieve a college degree while serving time. :rant:

Good Idea? Bad Idea?
Let's hear it :rolleyes:

88 PS190
04-15-2007, 08:11 PM
well good idea, an education for some of the people would do quite alot as far as enabling them, though they will never get to use the degree to quite the extent as a person who had a clean record because the employers won't like their past.

atlfootr
04-15-2007, 08:18 PM
I'll wait awhile before posting added responses, as I'd like to read more of yours first.

TMCNo1
04-15-2007, 08:39 PM
:popcorn::uglyhamme:popcorn:
I can see it now, Einstein gets arrested for shoplifting a Diploma frame for his B.S. Degree in Criminology while on probation after he gets out, cause he doesn't have a job or any money!

Monte
04-16-2007, 09:11 AM
If they are never going to get out, what is the point? If they are. They have a lot of time to burn anyway. Why not use the time to actually rehabilitate... I can see some negatives and some positives.

Evan Jones
04-16-2007, 10:16 AM
I agree that an education is a great idea, but free ? That's crazy. They should at least have to work their butt off working on a chain gang for four years before getting a benefit like a college education.

jmac197
04-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Haven't they stolen enough from society? I guess it's not stealing if we are giving it to them.

I say if they want to enroll, they must agree to have their wages/welfare garnished after release until they have repayed their tuition.

Leroy
04-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Education would be great. For most it probably means getting high school first. Anything would be better than turning out even more hardened, more violent criminals.

Incremental cost of school for these guys adds probably 10-15% to the total cost and I would expect makes repeat criminals less likely.

One of the scandinavian countries has a goal to never have a repeat offender and assigns personal psychologist and counselor to each inmate. The repeat rate is <5%.

TMCNo1
04-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Education would be great. For most it probably means getting high school first. Anything would be better than turning out even more hardened, more violent criminals.

Incremental cost of school for these guys adds probably 10-15% to the total cost and I would expect makes repeat criminals less likely.

One of the scandinavian countries has a goal to never have a repeat offender and assigns personal psychologist and counselor to each inmate. The repeat rate is <5%.

IMO, in this country it will never happen, too much money and jobs involved in the big picture.

BriEOD
04-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Prior to finishing my undergrad in CJ I would have found this outrageous. However, it is important to rehabilitate these guys. While the recidivism rate is high, the reason they commit crimes is because they don't have any other oppurtunities or see Jeremy Bentham's utilitarianism theory.

Also, the majority of folks incarcerated are for drug and property crimes. Violent crime is not the forerunner. Check the UCR.