PDA

View Full Version : squealing belt at idle

BCBlazers
04-15-2007, 07:12 PM
:confused: i cranked my X-2 on the trailer earlier for the first time in 3 weeks just to get it running. It previously ran w/ no squeal. This time it ran normal for about 5 minutes then my belt (as far as i could tell) went to squealing a little, it wasn't a harsh squeal, but not a sound that it's supposed to be making none the less. as soon as i throttled up a little, the engine ran normal and then went back to squealing when back at idle.

Is my belt just a little loose or something else? any thoughts?

Thanks guys

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Do you have the serpentine belt with a tensioner? It doesn't seem to take long and the belts get checked on the inside and glazed on the outside. That may be the cause of your noise.

BCBlazers
04-15-2007, 07:32 PM
yeah to the serpentine, its got the MCX 350horse. i bought it about a month and a half ago and it has 317 hrs.

88 PS190
04-15-2007, 07:35 PM
You could try replacing the belt, there is a product to spray on there to quiet them down.

Or there is a possiblity that it could be coming from a bad bearing.

BCBlazers
04-15-2007, 07:39 PM
but if it was the bearing, wouldn't it be doing it all the time instead of just at idle? i haven't fooled w/ anything yet, haven't tried tightening it or anything. but from just looking, the belt seems to be in good shape

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Or there is a possiblity that it could be coming from a bad bearing.
Lets hope that a belt can solve the problem......check on the belt's condition. Sometimes they look OK from the outside but you need to twist it to see the inner surface with the ribs. If you see a lot of cracking there, I'd go ahead and get yourself a new belt.

BCBlazers
04-15-2007, 07:52 PM
ok, well i'll see what i can work out in the next few days and get back to ya'll. preciate the help

jrcarte78
04-23-2007, 07:01 PM
A couple of squirts of belt dressing might do the trick. Mine(different motor and belt but...) always squeels a little on start up, so I keep a can in the glove box.

BCBlazers
04-24-2007, 12:32 AM
got her runnin fine now, i think it was my alternator squealing a little...not a good thing, but it ran fine when we put her in the water