PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding Behind a 1983 Stars and Stripes

CODY_YARBER07
04-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Hello. I have a 1983 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes. I used to only slalom but now I have taken a liking to wakeboarding. The wake that this boat produces is made for slalom and I understand that but I was wondering if anyone could help me make this wake a little bigger and more wakeboard friendly. I included a pic of the boat and a pic of my cousin wakeboarding. I also have a very crappy wakeboard. I was wondering if a new board would help.

http://a431.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00783/03/45/783445430_l.jpg

http://a400.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01460/99/38/1460458399_l.jpg This is as high as we can get

nuckinfutz
04-15-2007, 06:04 PM
I know I will get scolded from fellow TMC owners but have you considered fat saks? or something that adds weight to the back? I wouldnt do anything perminent to this boat, from what I understand, its a classic.

As far as boards go, its all about personal preference. Just like shoes, your not going to strap on a new pair of bowling shoes and expect to be better at track! Ive seen some of the best tricks pulled off by a so called "crappy" WB. I have a crappy one and a expensive one as well and sometimes feel better on the crappy one.

Personal preference!!

Welcome to the Board!!:wavey:

CODY_YARBER07
04-15-2007, 06:12 PM
ive tried "fat a$$es". some of my friends. it doesnt seem to do anything except make the wake break.

nuckinfutz
04-15-2007, 06:29 PM
hmm. Im sure someone with a similar boat will be here soon and have a better answer. Kind of a tough situation. The boat was designed to not produce wake. Sounds like your issue is a real tribute to MC success!!

88 PS190
04-15-2007, 08:11 PM
weight distribution is key. You don't just want to throw a ton of weight in the rear, but rather the sides and into the bow. as well as the rear to shape the wake add height and balance you out.

how fast are you running the boat?

better boards can help put keep in mind that boards can be optimal for certain tricks more than others, some would be better for getting pop.

Learning how to take and hold your edge and direction is key to making height, and taking a wider approach as well as popping off the wake will get you higher.

To be honest alot of new riders can't go higher than that behind an X-Star off the tower until they learn how to hit a wake.

88 PS190
04-15-2007, 08:14 PM
by the way, there is nothing about these boats that is going to really limit large wake sizes, wakeboard boats got their start in boats exactly like that.

they added some width and length, deeper V to the hull, and the V drive configuration, but that can be very intimidating to new riders... your wake can be narrower which is easier to clearn.

Another thing you can experiment with is line length, to find an area of the wake shaped like you want.

CODY_YARBER07
04-15-2007, 09:48 PM
i have tried many different speed but i usually stay around 19-21 MPH. Thanks for the help

thomas.w.williams
04-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Sweet Boat!

SKI*MC
04-15-2007, 10:34 PM
awesome looking boat, i have an 83 too, its my baby, i think when its properly weighted it throws a pretty nice wake.

Leroy
04-15-2007, 11:09 PM
I think this is becoming a trend based on the number of how to use a 190 for wakeboarding threads lately!

sberry3827
04-16-2007, 10:50 AM
I have any 85 and its all about the wieght. I can get a decent wake runnin about 19 - 21 mph. Three fat sacks - one on each side of the motor box running longways with the boat and one running longs with the back of the boat in front of the rear seat. I also have a 12" sub and box plus an extra battery under the bow. All that and a boat full of people and I "think" that is the about the best you can do with that boat. Nice looking 83!

sizzler
04-16-2007, 11:03 AM
it could be worse........me and my girls were boarding behind my brothers 'smoker'....a seadoo.......wake???...no.......froth???...yes....

but ,at least we were on the water......salt water at that

H20skeefreek
04-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Hello. I have a 1983 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes. I used to only slalom but now I have taken a liking to wakeboarding. The wake that this boat produces is made for slalom and I understand that but I was wondering if anyone could help me make this wake a little bigger and more wakeboard friendly. I included a pic of the boat and a pic of my cousin wakeboarding. I also have a very crappy wakeboard. I was wondering if a new board would help.

http://a431.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00783/03/45/783445430_l.jpg

http://a400.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01460/99/38/1460458399_l.jpg This is as high as we can get
Give the boat to me, and buy and Xstar, you'll be much happier, and so will I.

funk
04-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Like previous posts, weight and distribution is key. I have an 86 prostar 190.. I throw 1 400lb sack on each side of the motor, left and right. I used to have a bag of sand up under the bow but ditched that, just make sure you have at least one other person in the rider watch seat. Length of the rope is something to play with also. A extender pylon or tower helps get you up as well. I just happen to have a pole that I will let go for $100 plus shipping if interested, I upgraded to a tower last year.

hit it hard,
funk

CODY_YARBER07
04-16-2007, 05:21 PM
what type of pole is it?

RobertT
04-16-2007, 07:32 PM
I cannot help but to think that the number one boat, the boat that pulled the first 1080, was the 205 ski hull.

Fat seats are great, but filled may be too much for that boat. Fat seat in back, and a few hundred pounds worth of lead or fat asses in front.

Fill or drain the fat sac to get the lip where you want it. Some like it a bit mellow, most of our guys like it crisp right on the ragged edge of curling over.

RobertT
04-16-2007, 07:36 PM
PS...

Nick and Julz use a X7/197 at their wakeboard school. I have complained mightily about the wake behind my boat only to have somebody come out and throw HUGE backflips and ralleys behind my boat with no weight at all.

I just shut up, open another beer, and concede that I am too old and fat at this point. I feel better after that moment of humiliation and the peace that follows it:)

Shaun Murray grew up on my lake, not far from my house, and learned behind old school ski boats. I wish I could blame the boat, but its the rider.