PDA

View Full Version : Henderson wetsuits anyone

rstitson
04-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Have been looking of a shorty for my son to use wake boarding in the northeast(maine). Hoping to extend season a few weeks on each side. I had pretty much settled on an Oneil assault 3/2, but have a hard time finding one local. Want to have him size it by trying on if at all possible. Ran into a shop that promotes Henderson suits. They are not in-expensive . They have a all 4 way stretch material 3 mil that they promode but to not have the sealed seems, which give me pause. Anyone have experience with this brand? And are the sealed/taped seams that much of an advantage. This is a dive shop they suggest sealing the seams my self with a product they sell. Is this reasonable. What are opinions on Hederson vs. Oneil?

06' X-2 R8R H8R
04-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Get a sealed on for sure.

bigmac
04-15-2007, 10:59 AM
I own only Oneill wet suits over the last 10 years or so, after almost 30 years of multiple other brands of suits. I haven't ever had seams tear out on any suit since the Dacor 1/4 inch unlined two piece that I owned when I was 17. I sealed the seams on that one with yellow neoprene mainly because that's what Lloyd Bridges' wet suit looked like.

It would help to know how old your son is. Mine went from normal height-for-age at 12 years old to 6' 5" at age 21. I'll bet I have three or four of his wet suits still sitting around here somewhere.

Personally, I see little advantage of an Oneill over a cheapie. Especially in the shorty category and especially if your son has any growing left to do. For at least a couple of years, my shorty for water sports was a $30 2 mil Stearns that I bought at Fleet Farm. I busted the zipper frog on that one last year and replaced it with a $100 Oneill, but I gotta tell ya, other than looking cooler, I don't believe it keeps me any warmer nor is it any more flexible. More durable? Probably, but the seams were never a problem. And I note that the zipper frog on my Oneill is plastic too. Besides, I could have bought 3 of those Stearns suits for what the Oneill cost me.

:twocents:

ski_king
04-15-2007, 11:06 AM
.......... I sealed the seams on that one with yellow neoprene mainly because that's what Lloyd Bridges' wet suit looked like.
YOu just dated yourself with that line. I bet only a handful of us know who Lloyd Bridges is.

bigmac
04-15-2007, 11:22 AM
YOu just dated yourself with that line. I bet only a handful of us know who Lloyd Bridges is.
You're right. Instead of referencing Sea Hunt, I should have mentioned Ron Ely in Malibu Run (its successor).

Speaking of dating myself, however, I will additionally admit that I learned to scuba dive using double-hose regulators in an era where there were no bouyancy compensators, no PADI, no aluminum tanks. My instruction was about 4 times longer than a PADI course, and we actually had to memorize the US Navy dive tables for both decompression and repetitive dive. Instead of a dive computer, the decompression tables were silk-screened on the sleeve of my wet suit. I get funny looks from most divemasters when they look at my card and see that I've been diving far longer than they've been alive.

Ironically, the local PADI guy tells me that the only qualification I have left to complete for my Master Diver card is First Aid.

rstitson
04-15-2007, 12:42 PM
My son is 15 by end of week. Is 6'2 195 and runs a lot to keep under 200. Still has a bit of baby fat but way more "man" than I am. I think flexibility is his biggest concern as his lower body thighs, knees, legs dwarf me, but upper body is still catching up. So to get a suit that is confortable lower body means that the suit upper body is may not be optimal fit. It sounds like sealing the seams if neccessary is not a big deal. Am still holding out for a in store fit for him

JohnE
04-15-2007, 01:11 PM
My son is 15 by end of week. Is 6'2 195 and runs a lot to keep under 200. Still has a bit of baby fat but way more "man" than I am. I think flexibility is his biggest concern as his lower body thighs, knees, legs dwarf me, but upper body is still catching up. So to get a suit that is confortable lower body means that the suit upper body is may not be optimal fit. It sounds like sealing the seams if neccessary is not a big deal. Am still holding out for a in store fit for him

FWIW,

I just bought some O'neil products from Erk. They can be returned if they do not fit properly I believe.

BriEOD
04-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Haven't bought a suit in a few years. Stocked up on a few when I lived in Hawaii. Excel wetsuits always had a huge clearance sale at the end of the season to make room for new suits. Could get great deals.

nuckinfutz
04-15-2007, 01:24 PM
RS,
I have 3 Henderson wetsuits, I am also a SCUBA instructor so if I may offer some advice...

Im not sure what you mean by the term "sealed". I am assuming you are refering to a drysuit?

The henderson wetsuits provide great warmth as far a wetsuit can go. No wetsuit will be sealed, as for its name states "Wet". the principal behind wet suits are to allow water in and body heat will warm up the surrounding water.

The henderson wetsuits are a great buy if your planning on growing (outwards). They are considerbly easier to get into and out as well. The material that they are made of is durable and has lasted me along time. I currently have 3 suits, A shorty (spring suit), 3 mil full and a 5 mill full. I can say on the full suits, Im not pleased with the knee pads coming off. I think they could have used a better glue if you ask me.

Jason

rstitson
04-15-2007, 03:48 PM
nuckinfutz, By sealed I mean the seams taped, supposedly so they don't flush out easily through the seams. Got me if it really makes a difference. Thanks for the info, makes me think I would be okay which ever way we go. Ease of enty and confort is a big deal for Toph (my son)

Johne, I didn't know you could send back a suit for not fitting, makes it a lot easier to take the chance. thanks. I see a lot of support here for Oneil. The cost difference in a shorty between higher end suits and lower end suits, is way less than a tank of gas so price is probably not the determining factor.

JohnE
04-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Johne, I didn't know you could send back a suit for not fitting, makes it a lot easier to take the chance. thanks. I see a lot of support here for Oneil. The cost difference in a shorty between higher end suits and lower end suits, is way less than a tank of gas so price is probably not the determining factor.

Yeah, based on the advice here, I'm going with O'neill. I'd rather not risk getting less for paying less. I'm buying neo shorts, jacket, shirt, and vest from Erk, and I was concerned about the off chance that something doesn't fit. I'm pretty confident all will fit based on the size charts, but just in case, it's nice to know I won't be stuck with it. And frankly, I'd rather buy from someone here on the forum than anywhere else. (I don't have a local pro shop. If I did, I'd want to support it, though.)