PDA

View Full Version : How do you change the belt on this thing?

hz900
04-14-2007, 02:35 AM
1992 Prostar 205

So whats the trick to changing the belt on this boat. I loosen the alternator and go to take the belt off only to find out that 2 hoses, a bracket, and something on the crank pulley is in the way. It looks to me like all this needs to be taken apart.

Is the some trick to this that I'm not seeing?

Or do I just need to quit being lazy and start taking stuff apart, because the belt is starting to squeal a bit and the alt. is adjusted pretty much all the way out.

SkySkiSpokane
04-14-2007, 03:47 AM
I am not sure the differences in motors but on mine, there is a bracket mounted to the bottom of the raw water pump that needs to be taken off to get the old one off and the new one on.

That is all that needs to be taken apart on my LT1. It comes off with an Allen screw on the bottom. Hope this helps.

JohnnyB
04-14-2007, 10:42 AM
I think that's the case on most MCs. You need to take the bracket off at the raw water pump and possibly the two hoses at the pump to get the belt off.

That being said, I read a good suggestion on this board some time ago but have not done this yet. The suggestion was that was when changing your belt, put two belts into the area when you make the change. Tie wrap the second one to the raw water pump bracket. That way if you break a belt while on the water, all you have to do is cut the tie-wraps, loosen the alternator, and put the new one on.

I would say a belt that has been bunched up and tie-wrapped will only be good for a short while as it will become slighly deformed. however, it'll probably be enough for you to finish your day on the water and get you back to the dock.

JohnE
04-14-2007, 11:42 AM
I think that's the case on most MCs. You need to take the bracket off at the raw water pump and possibly the two hoses at the pump to get the belt off.

That being said, I read a good suggestion on this board some time ago but have not done this yet. The suggestion was that was when changing your belt, put two belts into the area when you make the change. Tie wrap the second one to the raw water pump bracket. That way if you break a belt while on the water, all you have to do is cut the tie-wraps, loosen the alternator, and put the new one on.

I would say a belt that has been bunched up and tie-wrapped will only be good for a short while as it will become slighly deformed. however, it'll probably be enough for you to finish your day on the water and get you back to the dock.

That seems like a good idea. In his case, he could just leave the old belt tied tied in there as the spare, and not even spend the money on a new one which may get deformed.