PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Car

Evan Jones
04-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Thinking of getting a high mpg hybrid/electric car of some sort as a company sales car for our Kitchen Design people to go to jobsites with. We pay mileage to them now for their cars. It could also be used for business trips to Boston... 180 mile round trip. I want to get this car to help reinforce our "green" image to our customers. It will be lettered up for maximum exposure. I was thinking Toyota Prius...any suggestions ??

Monte
04-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Got a long thread about that one:rolleyes:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14989&highlight=hummer

Naste Craft
04-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Get the New Lexus LS 600h L with 430hp

captain planet
04-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Thinking of getting a high mpg hybrid/electric car of some sort as a company sales car for our Kitchen Design people to go to jobsites with. We pay mileage to them now for their cars. It could also be used for business trips to Boston... 180 mile round trip. I want to get this car to help reinforce our "green" image to our customers. It will be lettered up for maximum exposure. I was thinking Toyota Prius...any suggestions ??
I've been looking into a new car for a little over a month and I am looking for the most efficient vehicle possible. By research, and some people on this board, I have narrowed my search down to either a Prius or a VW Jetta TDI (Diesel). I have driven an 06 and an 04 Jetta TDI. They get between 45-50 mpg and really have a lot of zip to them. Both I drove were stick shift and if you told me they were only 90 hp I wouldnt' have believed you. Mileage on the expressway can go slightly above 50 mpg. Really nice cars and fun to drive. I am going to drive a Prius next week either Monday or Tuesday.

I am leaning toward the VW because it is going to get better mileage on the expressway than a Prius, plus it is stick shift and is more fun to drive.

cmack, you want to add your :twocents: on the VW?

If your set on a hybrid, the Prius gets the best mileage of the group (45 mpg). The Honda Civic Hybrid is second with around 37-40 mpg.

milkmania
04-13-2007, 05:17 PM
I've been looking into a new car for a little over a month and I am looking for the most efficient vehicle possible. By research, and some people on this board, I have narrowed my search down to either a Prius or a VW Jetta TDI (Diesel). I have driven an 06 and an 04 Jetta TDI. They get between 45-50 mpg and really have a lot of zip to them. Both I drove were stick shift and if you told me they were only 90 hp I wouldnt' have believed you. Mileage on the expressway can go slightly above 50 mpg. Really nice cars and fun to drive. I am going to drive a Prius next week either Monday or Tuesday.

I am leaning toward the VW because it is going to get better mileage on the expressway than a Prius, plus it is stick shift and is more fun to drive.

If your set on a hybrid, the Prius gets the best mileage of the group (45 mpg). The Honda Civic Hybrid is second with around 37-40 mpg.

good lookin' car
http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/8691_image.jpg

as far as cars go:rolleyes:

jcbatt
04-13-2007, 05:20 PM
I am not an environmentalist by any stretch of the imagination, but I picked up an 07 Civic Hybrid a couple months ago for my 100 mile/day commute. I really like the car a lot, and have been averaging around 42MPG in real world driving. The car does MUCH better at speeds under 60 in terms of MPG. For the mostly back-country 2 lane roads where I live it works great. For highway driving, I only get in the high 30's on the car. I hated the looks of the Prius, and diesel is typically quite a bit more expensive than gas, at least here in the NE, so I didn't really consider the VW, plus they have questionable reliability. The Civic Hybrid looks goofy too with the stock wheels, but I put the wheels from an EX on it, and its a nice looking car now.

Here in CT there is no sales tax on Hybrids, a federal $2200 income tax credit, plus amazing resale basically made it a smart financial decision for me.

sand2snow22
04-13-2007, 05:34 PM
I just picked up a Camry Hybrid last Friday, coming from a 99 VW Jetta VR6, I'd say it's not as fun to drive. Prius is too ugly for me. I'd choose a Civic hybrid over a Prius, but it's a little spacey looking, too. Special order on the Camry last October since we wanted navigation, but no leather. Wife doesn't like leather? It was supposed to be here in February, but finally got here the first of April.

The VW diesels will probably be a lot more fun to drive, they have a ton of torque!! I don't know for sure, but aren't they really changing the emissions on diesels this year or next year? I know a lot of people were buying the VW's and Freightliner's before the emission's changed.....

I do find myself feathering the gas in the Camry, trying to run on the batteries and electric motor as much as possible. I've been averaging 37 MPG, 550 miles per tank. It's nice when you turn off the car and the display says Eco Drive 42 MPG, excellent!!

88 PS190
04-13-2007, 05:46 PM
There was a run down of the cost of operation of different vehicles over their lifetime, determined you'll spend more using a hybrid electric than a suburban, based on cost, insurance, repair, and expected longevity of the vehicle...

I vote TDI as well.

captain planet
04-16-2007, 08:58 AM
IThe VW diesels will probably be a lot more fun to drive, they have a ton of torque!! I don't know for sure, but aren't they really changing the emissions on diesels this year or next year? I know a lot of people were buying the VW's and Freightliner's before the emission's changed.....

Actually, VW does NOT have a diesel for 2007. The emissions regulation has changed and their engines don't meet these new emissions standards. The guy at the dealership in Canton said they bought as many 2006 diesels as they could because it may be a year or two before they come back out with them. They had 6 or 7 Jetta TDI's sitting on the lot when I was there. VW is working on the TDI engine to meet the new standards. Which is fine because if you have a diesel engine that is 2007 or newer you have to have Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel (ULSD) fuel (15 ppm max sulfer) or you can ruin the particulate filter in the engine. As of now this fuel is hard to find. Most stations around me have Low Sulfer Diesel fuel (500 ppm sulfer).

As for the cost for battery replacement in the hybrids, I have been reading that they are not really having trouble in them. I guess Toyota had an issue in 2000 or 2001, but have corrected it. The majority of what I am reading is they are getting 150,000+ miles out of a battery pack. If anyone has links to info on the troubles being encountered with the batteries, please post them.

bigmac
04-16-2007, 09:30 AM

The advantage of Prius comes more in stop and go driving where a lot of braking takes place. If your commute is mostly freeway or highway without a lot of braking, I suspect you'd be better off with the VW. Besides, it's capable of biodiesel.

Evan Jones
04-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Is there an electric alternative that would be sensible? I saw something on the Smart car being imported recently. 150 mile range is a little too short for our sporadic trips to Boston. Otherwise perfect for our daily short runs around the area.

http://www.ecoautoinc.com/?gclid=CP3ohISnx4sCFSc8UAodWkwpAw