PDA

View Full Version : New tow vehicle...

M-Funf
04-13-2007, 04:31 PM
So my '97 Jeep was a total loss. They're sending me a check. :( My wife has been sending me links to other Jeep GC's for sale. So far, this is the best one I've found within my "constraints". It's a year older than my last Jeep, but has part time 4WD, which is nice. Other than that, it's almost identical. The money I got back from the total will pay for this and then some.

Any thoughts?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/308037919.html

PendO
04-13-2007, 04:38 PM
I've got an 07 Suburban that should be ready to sell in another week:)

The fact that it is 1 owner with the service records definitely sounds like a plus.

Sodar
04-13-2007, 04:41 PM
So my '97 Jeep was a total loss. They're sending me a check. :( My wife has been sending me links to other Jeep GC's for sale. So far, this is the best one I've found within my "constraints". It's a year older than my last Jeep, but has part time 4WD, which is nice. Other than that, it's almost identical. The money I got back from the total will pay for this and then some.

Any thoughts?

Looks very clean. I did not realize that those things had a 5.2l in them. They say for used sales that you have 10% negotiation room, so if you can walk with it for $6,000, that would be awesome!

Archimedes
04-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Looks nice, but FWIW my neighbor had that exact GC and it was an absolute total POS. For a minute there I thought I was looking at his car, but then it said one owner. My neighbor sold his with about that mileage on it and he was ecstatic watching it drive away.

Monte
04-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Here you go! Since you are paying cash! It's only 2500 mi away though!

http://www.erepairables.com/my_pages/1029/vehicles/393058/2004_dodge_durango.html

M-Funf
04-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Here you go! Since you are paying cash! It's only 2500 mi away though!

http://www.erepairables.com/my_pages/1029/vehicles/393058/2004_dodge_durango.html

Holy C***.... :eek: $10k for a salvaged vehicle???

Monte
04-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Holy C***.... :eek: $10k for a salvaged vehicle???

I do what I can;) :)

BrianM
04-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Looks clean and the one owner with service history is nice. Obviously you know the quirks of the GC. My Dad had a '93 GC with the 5.2 and it was a great vehicle. Put Just over 180k miles on it with only a few minor issues in the later years. Seems like those GCs were either dogs or bullet proof. If the records look good go for it.

M-Funf
04-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Looks nice, but FWIW my neighbor had that exact GC and it was an absolute total POS. For a minute there I thought I was looking at his car, but then it said one owner. My neighbor sold his with about that mileage on it and he was ecstatic watching it drive away.

I've owned two Jeep GC's, and they were both great. The first was a '94 that I purchased new. It had the 4.0L I-6. It towed my old boat just fine, but when I bought the MC, it started to fail me. I really hated to give it up, but it would stress me out every time I towed the boat. I sold the '94 to a bartender I know :rolleyes: She's put another 100k on it, and it is still running great.

I bought a '97 with the 5.2L V8 to replace it. I purchased it from one of my wife's co-workers. It was a great vehicle, towed the MC fine, and suited my needs.

Now that it's gone, we thought of changing to something else, but we were both really happy with it, so we're sticking with what we know and like...

M-Funf
04-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Looks clean and the one owner with service history is nice. Obviously you know the quirks of the GC. My Dad had a '93 GC with the 5.2 and it was a great vehicle. Put Just over 180k miles on it with only a few minor issues in the later years. Seems like those GCs were either dogs or bullet proof. If the records look good go for it.

The newer ones seem to have more problems. The V6 they were putting in them for a while were total crapola. The 4.0 was bullet proof. Proven technology engine for the last 30 years or so...just not enough power. The V8 is powerful, and doesn't seem to have any problems (knock on wood)

BrianM
04-13-2007, 05:37 PM
The newer ones seem to have more problems. The V6 they were putting in them for a while were total crapola. The 4.0 was bullet proof. Proven technology engine for the last 30 years or so...just not enough power. The V8 is powerful, and doesn't seem to have any problems (knock on wood)
The service guys were always amazed that my dad did not have any transmission issues. Especially since he towed with it a lot. I guess that was the weakest link in the 5.2 V8 powertrain. He had the Autotrac (full time 4wd). Was only starting to have a small issue with the front differential when he sold it. Got $3000 for it last year with 180k. Interior and exterior still looked great and everything worked (electronics, windows etc) as it should have. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of that vintage in good shape.

llcamp63
04-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Check the A/C. See if the previous owner replaced the evaporator. If they didn't the A/C either doesn't currently work or will die soon. A new evaporator installed is about $1200.

M-Funf
04-13-2007, 07:12 PM
The service guys were always amazed that my dad did not have any transmission issues. Especially since he towed with it a lot. I guess that was the weakest link in the 5.2 V8 powertrain. He had the Autotrac (full time 4wd). Was only starting to have a small issue with the front differential when he sold it. Got $3000 for it last year with 180k. Interior and exterior still looked great and everything worked (electronics, windows etc) as it should have. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of that vintage in good shape.

I went through 3 transmissions (all under warranty) with my '94 4.0L.

I'm hoping that this '96 has "Command Trac" which is part time 4WD. My '94 had it, and in 2WD I got much better mileage, less tire wear, and easier on the front end during tight turns...

dapicatti
04-13-2007, 11:15 PM

Any thoughts?

My wife had that exact same year and model. It was a great car until we towed our previous boat with it and ripped up the transmission. It was rated for 5,000 lbs towing, boat and trailer were about 4100............50k miles on it when it went. :mad: :mad: