PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Wisconsin mechanic??

PE4ME
04-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Wondering if there are any mechanics in the Green Bay or northern WI area? I would like to get a more qualified eye to look over my 94 PS 205. Bushings, motor and tranny questions. The local shop is crazy expensive and I would rather pay cash at both of our conveniences. Thanks

PE4ME
04-14-2007, 11:47 AM
No one from the Great North Woods? I suppose that is why the local MC dealer gets what ever he charges, whenever he gets it back to ya. My intent is NOT to bash my local dealer; however, I get more accomplished over the phone (with Vince and company @ skidim) and faster service from a Florida (thanks Jim) dealer than I do from the guy up the road. Sad but true. Does skidim need a norhern branch?

JohnnyB
04-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Try Vanstraten Marine in Green Bay.

http://local.yahoo.com/details?fr=dd-local-tl1&id=34437492&stx=vanstraten+marine&csz=Green+Bay+WI&ed=R7r556160SxJhzT5U67JRSOQP_1ZormKTestPVjX71rQoQ3 f0zAXzTYTci5bwqEhVt0fEKOx

He's a SUPRA dealer who just opened. They are a small shop but are very knowledgable and helpful. They've only been open about a year, but are looking to unseat the "local incumbent" by having great service.

JimN
04-14-2007, 01:23 PM
How is paying cash more convenient for the dealer? Assuming he uses parts and pays for the labor to fix your boat, how would he reconcile that for his books if he "takes cash"?

"How much for cash?" is probably going to get you the same price.

BrianM
04-14-2007, 01:33 PM
How is paying cash more convenient for the dealer? Assuming he uses parts and pays for the labor to fix your boat, how would he reconcile that for his books if he "takes cash"?

"How much for cash?" is probably going to get you the same price.

Sounds like he is looking for an independent mechanic that does work on the side for a little extra under the tabe cash.

JimN
04-14-2007, 01:45 PM
And if the repair isn't done right, what happens? Worst case, someone gets hurt and there's not going to be anyone to go after.

JohnnyB
04-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Try Vanstraten Marine in Green Bay.

http://local.yahoo.com/details?fr=dd-local-tl1&id=34437492&stx=vanstraten+marine&csz=Green+Bay+WI&ed=R7r556160SxJhzT5U67JRSOQP_1ZormKTestPVjX71rQoQ3 f0zAXzTYTci5bwqEhVt0fEKOx

He's a SUPRA dealer who just opened. They are a small shop but are very knowledgable and helpful. They've only been open about a year, but are looking to unseat the "local incumbent" by having great service.

This guy probably doesn't work for cash but will give you good service...

PE4ME
04-15-2007, 05:01 AM
That is the problem with email=hard to get a read on the post by words especially if the poster is vague...sorry about that.
I guess I don't believe I need a major repair, looking for peace of mind more than anything I guess. The thought process was; to potentially trouble shoot and assess the condition of some moving parts, didn't exactly think it warranted the 75$/hour + the local dealership commands or the down time that ALWAYS goes with it. I was hoping to offer cash + maybe a beer for his time. I would bring the boat to a guy willing to look or meet at local body of water etc etc. Hence "pay cash and be convenient" for both our schedules; get paid on the spot and get my boat back the same day- no big deal.
The boys at the local MC shop have been less than impressive in regards to their knowledge of boats; (which leaves me questioning) furthermore, I feel like a second class owner when I am proud of my boat and walk in there and feel like I am bothering them with questions about a '94...like its a POS dinosaur; as if they quit making parts for a 94 or they are incredibly difficult to hunt down...which maybe they are but you dont have to be like about it. Anyway, I have heard mixed reviews about their work, but in all fairness they did an excellent job on a friends boat. Unfortunately, I am still skeptical.

So again, maybe looking for a retired guy or someone who does work for cash outside "the shop". Cash is cash, to a guy willing to do it on the side or after hours...anyone for that matter who owns a business (especially service providers) knows cash dont leave tracks.

At any rate, thanks for the help!

PE4ME
04-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Vanstraten...down by Bay Beach? I might have to call and see what they can do. Really only need a guy who is familar with direct drive components and more knowledgable about motor/tranny stuff.

JohnnyB
04-15-2007, 12:09 PM
I didn't know you were looking for someone that worked on I/Os...I assumed you were talking direct drives/ski boats only.

I'll ask around and see what I can come up with for contacts....I have friends that use non-dealer mechanics in the Oshkosh area for their go-fast boats (twin engine sport boats).

Yes, Vanstraten is down by Bay Beach

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-15-2007, 02:20 PM
I didn't know you were looking for someone that worked on I/Os...I assumed you were talking direct drives/ski boats only.
It certainly sounded that way......he said he had a 94 PS 205 at the start of the thread. Was an I/O some sort of option I've never heard of?:confused:

PE4ME
04-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Oops-
Who's credible now??? My bad there boys, I meant ski/wake boats.
Was supposed to be a 4 reply thread it has turned into a pain...
Really, I was just looking for an honest shade tree guy with some knowledge on boats as I am in not in the same tax bracket as those who drop it off at the dealership and dont care what the bill is...that's all. Wasnt trying mislead, offend or make a mountain out of mole hill...
Trying to get some help from the gurus.
Thanks

JimN
04-16-2007, 09:15 AM
OK, but if you have a shadetree guy do the work, you still need to protect yourself from people who say they know how to fix them but actually don't. If you can find someone who has worked on car/truck fuel injected GM stuff from 1990 onward, you'll be fine as far as the motor is concerned. An outboard guy will be pretty much useless for this kind of boat and other than the motor, a sterndrive guy will be, too. The running gear is totally different and doesn't translate well to inboards. Also, grill whoever you consider about electrical issues. If they aren't good with electrical, they'll be wasting a lot of time trying to diagnose simple problems and if they find them, they probably won't do the repairs the right way, which can be irritating at best and dangerous at worst.

PE4ME
04-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Agreed, you (Jim) were one of the guys I consulted 3 summers ago when I was seeking electrical advise. I think you pointed me to a friend with regards to an ignition module...initially I thought it was the CPU and it turned out to be 30$ vs 1000$+? Thanks to YOUR knowledge.
I like to think I can get a good read on a person, and being that I have 100's of hours in the restoration of this MC I will use descretion when letting guys work on it.
I have some minor vibrations that I think are do to combo of things, I just dont know which part to and to what degree. Some dings/minor bends on the prop I would consider SMALL but...are they enough to affect vibrations? Are the strut bushings wore out? What is the best way to get a rusty knock sensor out of the block? I need help with this nickel and dime type stuff ya know?
I have the upmost respect for the guys that take time out of their busy schedules to help a complete stranger out with a problem. I think that's what these forums are all about. Having my boat stripped down to the deck to replace the carpet, head gasket, risers, cooling hoses, tranny friction plate, ALL skins/some foam, rub-rail, gel and fiberglass in some areas I have a new appreciation for the mechanic trade and the work that goes into accumulating the required knowledge. Could you imagine if you could download Vince (skidim), Jim (BAWS) and your (JimN) brains to a CD-Rom? We could all retire.
That said, I also believe in supporting the local dealer (when it is recipricated) and helping the community; I also feel good about paying an up and comer, or a go-getter 50$ an hour cash (twice his wage) to help a guy out. As a professional educator/coach and summer landscaper I constantly donate my time and let friends save up to 40% by using my account...hoping for some good Karma when it comes time maintain my MC.

CRAIGTHEMAN
04-19-2007, 12:40 AM
you could also try spread Eagle marine in spread eagel wi ( by iron mountian MI) my cousin runs the parts and service...he does good work and been do it for a LONG time...they are a mastercraft dealership...call the up and ask for joe...tell him steven avery told you to call....he will know what it means its an inside joke...715-696-3292

JimN
04-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Nice joke, considering what Avery did.

PE4ME
04-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the lead, trying to line something up before I get home in June. That's a hour and half away from home, actually closer to the cabin...may work out.