PDA

View Full Version : slalom trainer

H20skeefreek
01-24-2005, 11:49 AM
waaaaayyy back, i had seen a slalom training machine in the back of WS magazine. It was a device you could use to practice your form in the off season. does anyone have one? any information on one? did anyone else even see it, or am I crazy?

east tx skier
01-24-2005, 12:15 PM
It's called "Perfect Pull" I believe. Good luck finding one. I've often considered building the bottom part and putting it on the dock with a ski handle tied to a dock post just to warm up.

I seem to remember it either being built or sold by a guy named Mark Kovalcson who often posts on the Water Ski Forum (http://waterski.nicholls.edu/waterski/)

If he didn't design it, I'll bet he can tell you either (1) where to find one, or (2) that you'll have a hard time finding one.

Keep us posted.

Ric
01-24-2005, 12:17 PM
It's called "Perfect Pull" I believe. Good luck finding one. I've often considered building the bottom part and putting it on the dock with a ski handle tied to a dock post just to warm up.

I seem to remember it either being built or sold by a guy named Mark Kovalcson who often posts on the Water Ski Forum (http://waterski.nicholls.edu/waterski/)

If he didn't design it, I'll bet he can tell you either (1) where to find one, or (2) that you'll have a hard time finding one.

Keep us posted.
ya, let us know how that conversation goes!

east tx skier
01-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Mark K, apparently in response to H20's email, has put out a request on the Water Ski Forum (http://waterski.nicholls.edu/waterski/) about anyone looking to sell his Perfect Pull. He was also kind enough to upload some pictures of one.

It's under "Blast from the Past."

Ric
12-13-2005, 01:28 AM
waaaaayyy back, i had seen a slalom training machine in the back of WS magazine. It was a device you could use to practice your form in the off season. does anyone have one? any information on one? did anyone else even see it, or am I crazy?
Freek, ETX has the right guy in mind but he is no longer making the perfect pull.

I recently talked to him and he is the guy who designed the perfect pull slalom training device.

He wants to sell all the gear & the name to someone who's willing to resurrect the device

I can build and ship and distribute them but, who'd be interested in such an item?

east tx skier
12-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Depending on price, I might be interested. I'll save you the trouble of shipping it of course. What's the bottom line $$$?

Ric
12-13-2005, 12:59 PM
I dont know a price yet which I understand will play into demand, but who'd be interested in one at all?
This is very unscientific market research, I know, but just wanted a feel if anyone even thought these things were something they'd want.
(Sorry, I have no link or pics at this time so this is kinda moot I suppose)

BrianM
12-13-2005, 01:21 PM

A friend of mine has a makeshift Perfectpull on the dock that works great. Took a 2 x 6 and a 4 x 4 about 3ft long and cut a 45 down one edge of each. Put the 4x on top of the 6x and screwed the whole thing to the dock just far enough away from the post for the handle. Put your feet on the boards and lean. Works great.

east tx skier
12-13-2005, 01:33 PM
To iterate, if the price is right and baby don't need shoes, I'd be interested. Here's a picture to help generate some interest.

Sodar
12-13-2005, 02:33 PM
To iterate, if the price is right and baby don't need shoes, I'd be interested. Here's a picture to help generate some interest.

What does the machine accomplish? Just stretching? Are there any moving parts or are you stationary?

Ric
12-13-2005, 03:34 PM
What does the machine accomplish? Just stretching? Are there any moving parts or are you stationary?
I dont own one but have seen pics and discussions like this one.
I think there are no moving parts and this "machine" is basically designed to help you concentrate on body position .

Leroy
12-13-2005, 04:12 PM
I wonder how close that would simulate the pull force? seems like it would be pretty close.

Device looks like a pretty easy home project.

Kevin 89MC
12-13-2005, 06:09 PM
I have been thinking about this lately as well. I hate the muscle & hand pain upon starting each spring. I have been thinking of rigging up something in my basement on a 8X8 post (it's an old house) with a 5' handle that I could use to "condition" my muscles and grip. I would think if I get the length and foot platform angle right, I could pull pretty hard in the proper position. If that works, I might try to rig a big spring into the anchor for the rope so I'd get some movement. I thought about it last year, and I will likely do it after the holidays. I'll be sure to post pics if I do it. Gotta do what I can to maximize my short season! I've also thought that it would be useful if I ever have to go more than a few weeks without skiing. If that happens, it can be like starting all over again as far as fatigue. :mad:
Kevin

vogelm1
12-14-2005, 10:25 AM

I believe it was meant for stationary use. You use it to do "pull-ups" of some sort...pulling in at the waist, letting your body fall, then "catching" yourself again with your arms. Simulates the pull of the boat/works the muscles needed. I've put a screw eye into a stud in the basement and attached a slalom handle to do similar...

LakePirate
12-14-2005, 12:19 PM
I think that Ryan has one of these. He mentioned it some time in the past. The principal here is based on this type of training:

Isometric

In isometric contractions the muscle contracts but does not shorten, giving no movement.

Advantages

Isometric exercises develop static strength - the strength you need to push or pull a heavy object or hold it up
They are quick to do and don't hurt
They don't need expensive equipment
You can do them anywhere
Disadvantages

The muscle gains strength only at the angle you use in the exercise
During an exercise the blood flow to the muscle stops, blood pressure rises, and less blood flows back to the heart. It could be dangerous if you have heart problems
Isometric training is not sufficient on its own. You need to combine it with isotonic training.

east tx skier
12-14-2005, 12:32 PM

Stretching and muscle memory. Go Horns!

BuoyChaser
12-14-2005, 03:50 PM
i always thought if you added a rotating end to this device, it would just like being on the water, but would need a HUGE footprint!!!

Ric
12-15-2005, 11:36 AM
i always thought if you added a rotating end to this device, it would just like being on the water, but would need a HUGE footprint!!!
almost like a gimble with force applied to the axis to represent the water and the turn?

Do you wan it to play some music and flash some lights too? :D

east tx skier
12-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Sharper image had a downhill snow ski machine years and years ago. Swiveling base on a track with a slight rise in the center and drop to the outsides. Take that and tilt it about 45 degrees forward. Slap a rope and handle on there and you're good.

Ric
12-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Looks like it aint gonna happen Doug.
I can make them but I'd want to sell them and there appears to be little or no interest(hmmm, wonder why the guy quit making them?)
What little interest I see, there seems to be an equal or greater amount of folks that would just tie a rope to a tree, rather than hassle with the time and $ to get a training device like this one.

east tx skier
12-15-2005, 11:51 AM
And that's just it. Sort of like my trying to sell a bucket and 1.25" hose and call it a flush device. After shipping and tax, you can DIY for $7.99.

I suppose you'll be building one for yourself?

east tx skier
12-15-2005, 11:52 AM
The money's in building a wakeboard trainer. Same notion, but it's a little more upright and there's an attachment for the hookah. ;)

kjohnson
01-10-2006, 02:02 PM
I am interested in buying it. How much?

M-Funf
01-10-2006, 02:30 PM

The trainer or the Hookah? :uglyhamme

kjohnson
01-11-2006, 09:40 AM
The Trainer

Ric
01-12-2006, 01:54 PM
I don't know yet

kjohnson
01-12-2006, 02:19 PM
When will you know?

M-Funf
04-11-2007, 05:29 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I've been thinking about off-season training more, and started looking a bit deeper into this.

I was able to find a patent by a Michael Babcock from Minn. He patented a waterskiing simulator back in '94. I don't know how it works, but I'll keep looking into it. The footprint is small, but I don't know how you maintain balance without forward motion... There are also quite a few references listed. I'll pull those patents as well to see if they're relevant if anyone is interested...

Here's the Babcock patent:

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 05:32 PM
responded to a year old post.

JKTX21
04-11-2007, 05:41 PM

Damn Doug, sweet beard...

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 05:51 PM
That's not me.

M-Funf
04-11-2007, 05:54 PM
responded to a year old post.

you gotta pro'lem wif dat? ;)

Ric
04-11-2007, 06:45 PM
I looked into that awhile back and never really followed up on it
basically the guy had some inventory of parts and decals and such and some jigs made up and some drawings and of course a patent

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 06:46 PM

With me doin' it, yeah. Especially since I'd responded to that year old post a year ago. :o

M-Funf
04-11-2007, 07:11 PM
So the only reference I found on the first patent was to another patent form the same person, but earlier. I'm going to read through them and looks closely to see if there's any chance they would actually simulate anything close to real slalom skiing. At first glance, I think I know the answer, but I'll take a closer look just in case.

Here's the other patent...

Here's a funny looking "trick" simulator:

Ric
04-11-2007, 07:23 PM
So the only reference I found on the first patent was to another patent form the same person, but earlier. I'm going to read through them and looks closely to see if there's any chance they would actually simulate anything close to real slalom skiing. At first glance, I think I know the answer, but I'll take a closer look just in case.

Here's the other patent...

Here's a funny looking "trick" simulator:
20785 Send me a PM if you want that guys contact info
maybe you can make him an offer

I just dont have the time to fool with it now

Ryan
04-11-2007, 07:30 PM

A little slow on the response, but wow, good find! That is one complicated contraption. I've got to believe that you'd spend the same on that as you would on a good running used o/b boat.

I for one appreciate it when people search up an old thread to keep the info in one spot. :toast:

Ryan
04-11-2007, 07:47 PM
The 'other patent' while an even crazier contraption seems to have most of the right movements down. AND you get to use your own ski.

How about you just get some more power in an endless pool, put a pylon in the ground and you're set. While we're at it let's go ahead and make it about 120' wide and 15' long with conveyered boyus at the sides.

Just don't fall :D or wear a harness.

OR JUST MOVE TO FLORIDA.

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 08:13 PM
It's like a ski treadmill.

88 PS190
04-11-2007, 09:13 PM
i've thought of the endless pool thing for use with wake skates, you could do kick flips and stuff

and if you fell you'd just wash to the back.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Ryan, your a genius!!! build it, and they will ski.

Do it man!!! DO IT! you will be a hundredair! you will be rich beyond your lowest expectations!

BuoyChaser
04-12-2007, 02:23 PM
The 'other patent' while an even crazier contraption seems to have most of the right movements down. AND you get to use your own ski.

How about you just get some more power in an endless pool, put a pylon in the ground and you're set. While we're at it let's go ahead and make it about 120' wide and 15' long with conveyered boyus at the sides.

Just don't fall :D or wear a harness.

OR JUST MOVE TO FLORIDA.
i love that idea and think it would work...throw on the "3d" goggles and you could do a video of your own pond so you even get the "VIRTUAL" feel of chasing buoys...like an aircraft simulator...

skibrain
04-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Try this:

1. Go to hardware store.
2. Buy heavy duty screw eye
3. Locate stud in wall in basement (or where ever you work out)
4. Mount stud about 28" from floor (wakeboarders mount near ceiling :) )
5. Attach ski handle section. Experiment to get correct length.
6. Place feet at base of wall (toes both point left or right) find your pulling stance
7. Rip it up until hands are sore and shoulders ache.
8. Optional: cheap caribiner for quick handle hook up.
9. Optional: place 2 x 4 at base of wall at an angle for better foot support.

When not in use, only evidence is a 1.5" eye sticking out of the wall.

Material Cost $5.00
Patent Pending

If you go to my web site you can down load the much more detailed plans for $150.

Jesus_Freak
04-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Try this:

1. Go to hardware store....

When not in use, only evidence is a 1.5" eye sticking out of the wall.

This is what I have done, but if you watch me ski you will realize that something isnt working correctly...:o

MYMC
04-16-2007, 12:41 PM
I have one here in the back of the shop gathering dust...IF anyone wants it PM me an offer (sealed bid auction style).

Used once and that was enough...