PDA

View Full Version : Roller Coaster Freaks

trickskier
04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
I want to take my family to Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sundusky,OH this summer. My entire family loves Roller Coasters and have heard this is the place if you're a Coaster Freak.

Has anyone ever been there? Any recommendations on the on-site hotels or places to eat?

Monte
04-13-2007, 11:58 AM
I want to take my family to Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sundusky,OH this summer. My entire family loves Roller Coasters and have heard this is the place if you're a Coaster Freak.

Has anyone ever been there? Any recommendations on the on-site hotels or places to eat?

Trick I can offer you no pointers about Sandusky, Ohio. You need to check Thunder Road out at Carowinds though sometime during your visit to CSM.. It is special in some way.. which way I do not know. It is wooden though..:)

trickskier
04-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Trick I can offer you no pointers about Sandusky, Ohio. You need to check Thunder Road out at Carowinds though sometime during your visit to CSM.. It is special in some way.. which way I do not know. It is wooden though..:)
Monte, we've been to Carowinds........great park. Top-Gun is an AWESOME COASTER!!! We also go to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure & Busch Gardens several times a year.

Just looking for a NEW ADVENTURE. I believe Cedar Point has 5 of the top 10 roller coasters.

stumbledog
04-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Cedar Point is a great park for Roller Coasters. I have been there too many times to count. We usually stay at the CP Campground, which is very clean and has a nice pool. They also have small "cottages" on the water which are very nice as well. There are a couple of other Hotels on the property, but I have never stayed in them.

Soak City, their waterpark, is also nice. Easily 2 or 3 days of fun. The trip could be extended with a visit to Put-In-Bay, which is on an island in Lake Erie (Miidle Bass or South Bass Island). You shoul dcheck it out if you are in the area.

Monte
04-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Monte, we've been to Carowinds........great park. Top-Gun is an AWESOME COASTER!!! We also go to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure & Busch Gardens several times a year.

Just looking for a NEW ADVENTURE. I believe Cedar Point has 5 of the top 10 roller coasters.

I'm googling as we speak!;)

trickskier
04-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Cedar Point is a great park for Roller Coasters. I have been there too many times to count. We usually stay at the CP Campground, which is very clean and has a nice pool. They also have small "cottages" on the water which are very nice as well. There are a couple of other Hotels on the property, but I have never stayed in them.

Soak City, their waterpark, is also nice. Easily 2 or 3 days of fun. The trip could be extended with a visit to Put-In-Bay, which is on an island in Lake Erie (Miidle Bass or South Bass Island). You shoul dcheck it out if you are in the area.
OK, thanks for the info........:D

M-Funf
04-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Hey Trick,
I was supposed to go to Cedar Point on the 21st during our trip next week to Ohio, but we called our friends and they said it is closed until May 12th :(

Maristar210
04-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Trick,

You will have a blast. be sure to bring your wallet though;)

Jesus_Freak
04-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Dont know jack about Cedar Point, but have heard it is great.

FWIW: We just returned from Six Flags over GA. Better than Carowinds IMHO. However, there were a number of maintenance issues during our visit. So...I guess as long as you like the additional adrenaline rush of not knowing your final outcome, you will like this park.

trickskier
04-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey Trick,
I was supposed to go to Cedar Point on the 21st during our trip next week to Ohio, but we called our friends and they said it is closed until May 12th :(
Yeah, I'm planning on going sometime after the 4th of July. Most amusement parks are seasonal. The only ones that I know operate year round are in FL & CA.

ski_king
04-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Cedar Point is about a 4 hr. drive for me and I have been there many times, but not in the last 4 or 5 years.

My youngest daughter (who is a coaster freak) was there last summer and rode them all. She waited in line for over 3 hours to have front seat in Top Thrill Dragster. I see they have another new one for 2007.

I guess I need to go and catch up on the new ones.

Sorry I can't help on places to stay, as I always drove home the same night. But there are lenty of hotels right there.
As far as food goes, like any park, the $8 hamburgers suck and bottled water was $3. Last time we took our own food and had it in a cooler in the car.

trickskier
04-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Trick,

You will have a blast. be sure to bring your wallet though;)
Yeah, I'm sure I won't get those FL discounts in OH.

Believe it or not I get an annual pass good for an entire year (no blackout date) to Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure for $100

captain planet
04-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Tricky, I have been going to CP for many years. It is about 2 hours away so we have never stayed there so I can't be any help there. As for the coasters, your in for a real treat. :D I was there summer before last.

No matter what you do, make SURE you get on the RAPTOR. It is the best coaster in my opinion. You sit with your feet hanging like on a ski-lift and you get inverted something like 6 times. Incredible ride.

The top thrill dragster is a must just for the simple fact that you get to experience going from 0 to 120+ mph in under 4 seconds. Not a ride for little ones, but don't pass up on it if you can.

Other rides not to miss: Magnum XL-200, Millenuim Force, Mean Streak (wooden, really rough ride), Blue Streak (oldest wooden coaster in park, nostalgic qualities), Gemini (a must ride), Witches Wheel (spinning ride), Wildcat (pretty cool), and Demon Drop.

Rides to pass on: Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, Runaway Mine Ride (longest coaster in park)

I could go on and on about Cedar Point.

Do yourself a favor and leave your champoinship t-shirts at home! :D

Captain Planet

Maristar210
04-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Tricky, I have been going to CP for many years. It is about 2 hours away so we have never stayed there so I can't be any help there. As for the coasters, your in for a real treat. :D I was there summer before last.

No matter what you do, make SURE you get on the RAPTOR. It is the best coaster in my opinion. You sit with your feet hanging like on a ski-lift and you get inverted something like 6 times. Incredible ride.

The top thrill dragster is a must just for the simple fact that you get to experience going from 0 to 120+ mph in under 4 seconds. Not a ride for little ones, but don't pass up on it if you can.

Other rides not to miss: Magnum XL-200, Millenuim Force, Mean Streak (wooden, really rough ride), Blue Streak (oldest wooden coaster in park, nostalgic qualities), Gemini (a must ride), Witches Wheel (spinning ride), Wildcat (pretty cool), and Demon Drop.

Rides to pass on: Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, Runaway Mine Ride (longest coaster in park)

Captain Planet

I knew CP was going to go there, I knew it.

I say wear your Gator shirt proud my brutha. Most of the people in that area can't read anyways:D :D Kidding....

trickskier

Captain Planet
Thanks for the info CP.........My kids are 17 & 15 so I'm sure their going to ENJOY this...........:D

ski_king
CP is right !!

Magnum XL-200: Great view of Lake Erie from the top, fun to ride after dark)
Mean Streak Yes, very rough, makes your guts hurt!

trickskier
04-13-2007, 12:57 PM
I knew CP was going to go there, I knew it.

I say wear your Gator shirt proud my brutha. Most of the people in that area can't read anyways:D :D Kidding....
Trust me I will wear a GATOR shirt at least one day while I'm there.......LOL

captain planet
04-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Trust me I will wear a GATOR shirt at least one day while I'm there.......LOL
Oh man, your going to be there multiple days? I'm jealous. You should be able to ride most everything.

One thing you may want to look into is a thing they have to schedule a ride. You can go to the rides that typically have the longest lines and "preregister" to ride. They set up a time slot and you show up between certain times and get to "cut in line" so to speak. Well worth it if you don't mind riding by "appointment".

MariStar, Hey, I figure we get enough people coming down wearing michigan shirts we don't need florida shirts there as well. Besides, my comment was added purely for entertainment purposes.....and you love it.8p

Maristar210
04-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Oh man, your going to be there multiple days? I'm jealous. You should be able to ride most everything.

One thing you may want to look into is a thing they have to schedule a ride. You can go to the rides that typically have the longest lines and "preregister" to ride. They set up a time slot and you show up between certain times and get to "cut in line" so to speak. Well worth it if you don't mind riding by "appointment".

MariStar, Hey, I figure we get enough people coming down wearing michigan shirts we don't need florida shirts there as well. Besides, my comment was added purely for entertainment purposes.....and you love it.8p

You know I do:D :D

TMCNo1
04-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Visit the "Imus" thread, it a regular rollercoaster ride in it's self!