PDA

View Full Version : 205 Ballast

dh_bennison
04-13-2007, 06:44 AM
Hi,

I am looking to add ballast to my 96 205 Prostar. Any tips on what sort of weight is needed for a good wake and where to place the ballast. Ideally I want to leave the back seat in. I was thinking of adding some weights from the front of a tractor under the back seat as they are thin and heavy, they are also easy to remove if needed.

Any thoughts on up front, I have been unable to find any fat sacs that will fit under the bow seat as the space in small.

Thanks

tommcat
04-13-2007, 08:54 AM
i have 3 sacs in mine. the rear one under the seat is about 400 pounds and one under each bow cushion is about 150 each. with people on board its a damn scary wake.
in reality unless the person boarding is real real good there is no need for that much. i rarely use it. for most people my wake with no ballast and 4 or 5 people on board is great.

dh_bennison
04-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks tomcat. What sacs have you got in the front?

Also when you have the rear sac full does the rear seat have to be raised up to the 'sun pad' position or can you leave it in the lower position (on my boat their is not much room to put anything under the seat when its in the lower position)

Thanks.

tommcat
04-13-2007, 10:33 AM
i have Pro X sacs all the way around with 2 jabsco ballast puppy pumps.
the rear is the underseat sac. if i have human ballast on board i leave the rear seat down and just fill until it starts picking the people up.
if i have nobody on board i put the seat in the sundeck position and fill the sac all the way

dh_bennison
04-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks

I will have a look at which sacs will fit under the seat.

tommcat
04-13-2007, 10:55 AM
no problem. PM me if you need any other help with it

Davross
04-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Get Fat Phil to faint and lay him out on the back seat, that out to do it Dave

alpine740
04-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Who makes a sac to put under the seat?

dh_bennison
04-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Perhaps if we gave Phil some pies he might lie down without needing to faint. I think he defo helped with your ballast today!!:D

However if anyboday can suggest a suitable fat sac for under the seat that would be great.

I have bought a Fat Sofa but as yet have not used it, does anyone have experience with these??

Cheers,

Dave

tommcat
04-16-2007, 11:31 AM
there is a Pro X seat that fits under the seat nicely.

http://fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html

Brazos Bum
04-17-2007, 03:20 PM
i have 3 sacs in mine. the rear one under the seat is about 400 pounds and one under each bow cushion is about 150 each. with people on board its a damn scary wake.
in reality unless the person boarding is real real good there is no need for that much. i rarely use it. for most people my wake with no ballast and 4 or 5 people on board is great.

I run quite a bit more than this in my '97 205. I have a ProX Fat Seat in the back. I believe they claim 1200 lbs for these, and about 500 lbs up front. I generally run 'em full unless I have 6 or more in the boat.

It was a tad hard to hold speed constant before adding Perfect Pass.

tommcat
04-17-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm sure i could run more weight but i rarely fill the sacs all the way. there simply isnt anyone around here that can take advantage of a wake that big.

dh_bennison
04-18-2007, 02:52 PM
I am going to try the fat seat in the back and then add some weight up front aswell.

However I have read some comments on another forum where people have overloaded with ballast and cracked the engine block due to the strain on the motor with the weight etc. Anyone have any ideas on the max an LT1 can handle??

Thanks
Dave

tommcat
04-19-2007, 08:39 AM
if you're looking to try the fat seat i have one for sale in the marketplace section.

and i can assure you that the weight is no problem for the engine, especially if you have a powerslot like mine

dh_bennison
05-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks Tomcat, Im in the UK so shipping would have been expensive.

I have bought a fat seat and filled it to around the 800 lbs mark and I have also added about 250lbs up front. The wake has got abit bigger but the most noticable thing is that it has got wider.

I would like to increase the size slightly, but more than that I would like to make it steeper any tips??

Cheers
Dave

etakk7
05-21-2007, 04:42 PM
the integrated bow sac is a perfect fit for your (and my) hull under the front seats

dh_bennison
05-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi who makes it??

Cheers

dh_bennison
05-21-2007, 05:21 PM
I just found the intergrated bow sac on buy wake. Will it fit the arms look quite big compared to the storage space under the bow seats.

Also if I had 750lbs up front how much would I need in the back.

Finally if I did not fill in completly would the water move round alot causing the boat to list over??

Cheers

JKTX21
05-21-2007, 05:37 PM
I'd put at least 1000-1200lbs in the back if you have that much up front. Maybe a little much weight for the front sack, but it's better to be able to add more weight in the front if needed. Especially if you get some people on board and are having a hard time getting on plane. 205 will put out a mean wake I found out this weekend!

SteveO
05-21-2007, 11:04 PM
I run quite a bit more than this in my '97 205. I have a ProX Fat Seat in the back. I believe they claim 1200 lbs for these, and about 500 lbs up front. I generally run 'em full unless I have 6 or more in the boat.

It was a tad hard to hold speed constant before adding Perfect Pass.

I highly recommend this set up. Having taken many passes behind Bums ride, I have 3 things to say about the wake...Big, firm and nice. For a second this is starting to sound like the swimsuit thread, sorry, I digress. Based on the fact that this hull is the 205V, original x-star and old X2, new X1 hull, when weighted properly, it can throw an awesome wake.

sanjuan23
05-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Okay boys I am game. I have the 400 lb. sack for the ski locker and 600 for the rear. Unfortuantely I have just finished working out the winter bugs and ready to see what this thing does with some wake. Who's in???

dh_bennison
05-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks guys,

It looks like 1200 in the back and 500 up front then.

Im flying out to Florida (Kissimee) on Thurs. Does anyone know someone in the area who will have the bow sac previously mentioned in stock or do I need to order one from Wakside??

Cheers
Dave

Harvey
05-22-2007, 02:20 PM
I used to run a 500 under the seat a 500 in the bow walkway and depending on the number of people I would run 400 on either side of the engine. It was huge.

dh_bennison
06-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Right I have now got back from Florida and have added all the ballast to the boat. At the moment I reckon I have about 1000lbs in the back and about 600 up front. But the wake is not what I want, it just doest seem that much bigger than it was before!

I know my boat is basically an early xstar so Im guessing that Im doing something wrong not the boat!!

I want to make it steeper and a bit higher

I have a friend who runs a 98 Maristar with 600lbs at the back 600lbs in the locker and 300lbs under the bow seats, now his wake is great and its peeing me off that I cannot get the same!! HELP!

dh_bennison
06-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Should I just go all the way and completly fill the fat sofa????

Sodar
06-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Just put a bunch of people in the boat like these guys did!! ;)

dh_bennison
06-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Just put a bunch of people in the boat like these guys did!! ;)

Maybe I need more mates then!!

tommcat
06-29-2007, 02:52 PM
if you are having problems with the shape or width of your wake you will need to experiment with different ratios of weight from front to back. more in the back should give you the steeper wake you are looking for but you may then need to bump speed up a bit to narrow the gap up between wakes. the easiest way is have people in the boat move around to give you an idea of where the weight needs to be. then you can adjust the ballast accordingly.

dh_bennison
06-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks I will have a play tomorrow

dh_bennison
06-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Ok I have been out today and the Wake is looking better. Next on the list is a new prop. The boat has an LT1 with standard tranmisson, and normally carries about 4-5 people plus the ballast. Any suggestions??
Thanks

Brazos Bum
07-01-2007, 08:02 PM
I run an Acme CNC 3 blade 11.5" pitch prop - sorry, can't remember the part number and I'm nowhere near the box.

It does a good job of dealing with the ballast, but killed the top end speed. It's a tad on the slow side for footin' now.

If you don't have Perfect Pass yet you should put your money there first, then worry about the prop.

dh_bennison
07-02-2007, 04:42 AM
After doing abit of research over the weekend, I reckon I need the

Acme 543
Diameter: 13
Pitch: 11.5
Cup Size: .080
Bore: 1"
Rotation: LH

Any opinions??

tommcat
07-02-2007, 08:45 AM
cant help you with the prop. i have a spare for mine but it's a powerslot LT-1.
best suggestion is to call and talk to one of the guys at Acme or OJ. tell them exactly what you have for a boat and what you want it to do better and they will get you what you need.