PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid level

sand2snow22
04-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Checked the brake fluid in the trailer tonight, it's a little over a 1/4 inch low. Am I good, or should I top it off?

TMCNo1
04-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Top it off, I think that would be a good idea!

sand2snow22
04-13-2007, 01:14 PM
OK, thanks #1!! It says DOT 3 on the cap....

TMCNo1
04-13-2007, 01:45 PM
OK, thanks #1!! It says DOT 3 on the cap....

Top it off with what it says, don't over fill or spill, cause it will eat paint!

M-Funf
04-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Top it off with what it says, don't over fill or spill, cause it will eat paint!

^^^ Tru Dat...^^^

sand2snow22
04-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Yes, don't want to eat the paint. It might be hard to judge b/c on the back of the cap is a little air filled ball and I don't want brake fluid everywhere!!

jakethebt
04-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Usually, you dont want to top off the brake fluid. As long as you do not have a leak you should be fine. It is normal for it to drop over time. It is not leaking, but as the brake linings wear, more fluid is sitting in the calipers. It is designed that way. If you continue to fill it, you will have too much in it when you replace the pads. Then if you forget and push the pistons back during the brake job, the excess fluid will be pushed back into the master cylinder and overflow all over. And yes, it is very acidic and will eat the paint off everything. The same is true with your car. A lot of times you take it into the oil change place and they want to top off all the fluids. As long as you do not have a brake fluid leak, dont let them top it off. The master cylinder resivors should be designed to have enough fluid for all the pads to be worn out at once and still enough fluid to operate correctly. Sorry for the long post.