PDA

View Full Version : Friends wanting to bring babys...

SkiEngr
04-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Sorry guys...I have read several other treads (on this forum) about babys in the boat, but I sort of have a different situation. See what you think...

First of all, I just purchased my first MC (2001 X-Star). I am pretty excited and plan on getting a good coat of wax on her this weekend before I hit the water this summer (by the way, this forum has been awesome. I have just been reading your different post non-stop for the past week).

So here's the deal...one of my good friends invited me to his lakehouse next weekend for a get together. He is getting ready to leave the country for 3 years and this is going to be one of the last times we see him. Of course, I am taking the new boat, but today my friend emailed me and informed me that he just purchased his new daughter (3 mths old) a life jacket and they can't wait to get her in the boat. My stomach churned when I read his email. I don't have kids yet and I really don't have a problem with someone taking their kids out (at any age), but should that really be a responsibility I should have to bear? Keep in mind, this is my first inboard, so I am not totally comfortable with it yet. If I tell him not to bring his kid, do I look like a total jerk? Need some help with this one...

cbryan70
04-13-2007, 12:22 AM
I am a recent father and cannot wait to get my son on the boat. My only concern in your situation would be that she is only 3 months old. My son will be 8 months when i bring him out and there is a HUGE difference between those two ages. I dont think you would be a complete jerk especially if you are going to be seeing him and will have other opertunities to bring her out on the boat. Just tell him how you feel about the situation, that you arnt competly comfortable with your boat yet and are very unsure of yourself. Being a fairly new boat owner i can relate to you completly. It is very scary the first few times taking your new boat out. IMO you are just looking out for her saftey and if he were to get mad at that then he needs to try to see where you are coming from. Its not like you dont want the child to come becuase you just want to have a good time its more for her safety and well being

Blair
04-13-2007, 12:24 AM
i would just mention to him that you arent 100% comfortable with the boat yet and that you would feel safer if the baby wasnt on board,

that being said in my opinion at 3 months there is not too much damage that the kid could do, and it would also be 100% the parents responsiblity, but if you dont feel comfortable with it its your boat and your call... if he dosent respect that its not your fault

but deffinatly be respectful about it

JKTX21
04-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Hmmm, 3 months seems a little young for the boat, but I don't have any kids... just my sisters kids.

I think you are money (good to go). If they guy has a lakehouse, he is more than likely used to the water and all that goes along with it. If baby and momma get cranky, drop them off at the dock and go have man time.

EDIT:
Oh whatever, last time I had a three month old on board, he was doing raleys and ripping my vinyl with his fins for fun. Kids these days!

JR34
04-13-2007, 12:31 AM
welcome to the board..I am still in the taking stage on most of these threads too as I am getting used to boat ownership myself. Lots of great help here.

You said they have a lakehouse...so I suspect the mom and baby will be cutting the day short anyway and they probably just want to share a great experience. I wouldn't sweat it too much but I don't know the relationships involved here.

SkiEngr
04-13-2007, 12:36 AM
I should probably clarify the "lakehouse" comment...My friend and his wife are 26 (younger than me) and his father has a lakehouse. Their family just got the house last year and, so far, the largest boat to grace the docks has been a aluminum john boat with a Mariner 35 hp engine.

h2oskiluvr
04-13-2007, 12:37 AM
If the mother is around odds are good she would smart enough to know you don't take a 3 month old out on a boat. There is just no point to it whatsoever. If anything happened there is just no room for error.

I am a complete idiot when it comes to boating and my wife would agree. I am really irrational about getting out on the lake but last summer when my yougest was only a few months old there was no way in heck I would take a chance on taking him out there.

Now when I think back to the first time I took out my boat and how nerve racking it was learning to drive it and then through a newborn into the equation there is no way. I remember being pretty stressed out the first few times I took the boat out.

Good luck.

88 PS190
04-13-2007, 12:39 AM
I'd rather have babies than skiers....

Try to pass one off as a spotter!

WAT8415
04-13-2007, 12:39 AM
I think it all depends upon your comfort with the boat, knowledge of the lake, and what you are going to do while you're out on the water. Also it would be the responsibility of the parents and thier comfort with taking thier child on the water.

TX.X-30 fan
04-13-2007, 12:40 AM
I have had some experience with this(boys 3&7). Both have been on waverunners and on our boat. You will not believe how well the little one's adapt to the boat and water. Both of my boys slept in the boat when they got tired, and all we had to do was put the car seat behind the drivers seat under the top and all was good. I think their baby will do great but, I certainly understand why you want to get to know the boat a little better first (backing up :eek3:). Good luck and have fun.

TX.X-30 fan
04-13-2007, 01:04 AM
If the mother is around odds are good she would smart enough to know you don't take a 3 month old out on a boat. There is just no point to it whatsoever. If anything happened there is just no room for error.

I am a complete idiot when it comes to boating and my wife would agree. I am really irrational about getting out on the lake but last summer when my yougest was only a few months old there was no way in heck I would take a chance on taking him out there.

Now when I think back to the first time I took out my boat and how nerve racking it was learning to drive it and then through a newborn into the equation there is no way. I remember being pretty stressed out the first few times I took the boat out.

Good luck.

I don't mean to offend you, but what is the difference in strapping a 3 mo. old into a car seat and driving down the highway, or taking your 3 mo. old out for a ride on the boat. I'm not talking about a serious wake or ski outing, just boat riding or finding a sand bar the little one's can play on???? I would guess the highway is much more dangerous. This is just my opinion. My boys have been in the boat in their baby carriers from day one.. ;)

east tx skier
04-13-2007, 01:22 AM
Definitely depends on your comfort level. We had our son out at 3 weeks. Just worked out that way for us. Late in the season (low boat traffic), lake with which we were familiar, and grandparents to hold him tight. I actually got to ski (hadn't planned on that). When he was a little older, we'd put him in his vest and set him in a bouncy seat next to the driver. Now, at 20 months, does that kid love to be in the boat. Of course, he always did.

At that age, they just go to sleep as soon as the engine turns over anyway. Got to be safer than the car on the highway.

PendO
04-13-2007, 01:28 AM
Take the kid out in the damn boat or don't go at all ... drive slow so you don't hit something and get in a wreck (sandbar), if they wonder why you are driving slow just tell them you are over-cautious with the kid since you are inexperienced with an inboard ... COWBOY UP!

PendO
04-13-2007, 01:40 AM
Okay, maybe I am a little harsh ... but if I invited someone up to our cabin and they had a new boat and didn't want my kid to come out in it ... I'd probably put them on the "never to invite again" list .... just go for a short ride ... this is my daughter when she was 1-2months old, I can't find the pics of her when we took her out but it was 2-3 weeks after she was born.

PendO
04-13-2007, 01:43 AM
grandpa wakeboarding behind the ole' x9, with my wife and daughter

dapicatti
04-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Take the kid out in the damn boat or don't go at all ... drive slow so you don't hit something and get in a wreck (sandbar), if they wonder why you are driving slow just tell them you are over-cautious with the kid since you are inexperienced with an inboard ... COWBOY UP!
I agree. I think it won't hurt anything to take them around slowly, good will for all and no one will be hurt by it. I think the feelings you would hurt by not taking the kid out would be much much worse.

dapicatti
04-13-2007, 01:49 AM
[QUOTE=SkiEngr]
So here's the deal...one of my good friends invited me to his lakehouse next weekend for a get together. He is getting ready to leave the country for 3 years and this is going to be one of the last times we see him. If I tell him not to bring his kid, do I look like a total jerk?

Yes, you will look like a total jerk. He is leaving for 3 years and will have plenty of time to think about that. Take a few trips out before you put the kid in and you will be fine. Let them know you are nervous, but you want to accomodate them.

sand2snow22
04-13-2007, 01:52 AM
Throw the baby in the water and see if the life jacket works :D

sand2snow22
04-13-2007, 01:53 AM
Pendo, is Grandpa riding close to the Hwy 2 bridge?

PendO
04-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Pendo, is Grandpa riding close to the Hwy 2 bridge?

yup, hwy 2 is paralell to the boat path on his left side ...

PendO
04-13-2007, 01:58 AM

sand2snow22
04-13-2007, 02:02 AM
yup, hwy 2 is paralell to the boat path on his left side ... if we go a few more miles we will be at the priest river bridge

the WA-ID hwy 2 bridge is behind us ... and below the dam, so it is probably 4-5 miles down river

Such a nice spot, coming back from Priest Lake last time we drove from Priest River to Sand Point to I-90, I wanted to show my brother the river. Longer that way!! It was pure glass in the middle of the summer with no boats, granted it was a weekday.

What part of the river is your cabin on?

PendO
04-13-2007, 02:05 AM

sand2snow22
04-13-2007, 02:06 AM
OK, I see from the map. Is the green arrow where your cabin is located?

PendO
04-13-2007, 02:08 AM
OK, I see from the map. Is the green arrow where your cabin is located?

give or take 400meters

sand2snow22
04-13-2007, 02:12 AM
Got it, I see the Xstar with a fat wake in the map pic, too!!

TX.X-30 fan
04-13-2007, 02:27 AM
Okay, maybe I am a little harsh ... but if I invited someone up to our cabin and they had a new boat and didn't want my kid to come out in it ... I'd probably put them on the "never to invite again" list .... just go for a short ride ... this is my daughter when she was 1-2months old, I can't find the pics of her when we took her out but it was 2-3 weeks after she was born.

That is a great picture my friend, I need to find some of the boys when they were tiny. My little one asks everyday (daddy when are you going to bring the boat home). I can't wait to get on the lake. :woohoo:

Fancy
04-13-2007, 05:00 AM
There certainly is always the possibility of an accident on the water. Even an experienced driver can have an accident, but I think if you are on a pleasure ride (not running a course with a skier) there's not much chance of flipping anyone out of the boat is there? I've taken lots of little ones out on the lake. Generally you keep their time short because of the sun and bouncing but I don't see the big deal. At 3 months old the child can't possibly enjoy the ride and its obviously just the parents that want to ALL participate by sharing your new boat with you. Unless you really fear your driving skills are such that you are likely to hit something, give the mom and kid a short ride and drop them off at the cabin. Odds are that's all they plan on doing anyway.

88 PS190
04-13-2007, 06:30 AM
Say no to babysitting...

though if the baby drowns now.... means a lifetime less of pulling the kids... hmmmmm

Leroy
04-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Plan a "baby" trip later after early morning ski or some outing.

bigmac
04-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Hmmm..a good friend, you're invited to his lake house, you won't be seeing him for 3 years...

I'd say you're just going to have to suck it up. The responsibility to keep the little tyke safe will be with the parents. From a personal risk standpoint, you have more responsibility every time you put a wakeboarder in the water.

I put myself in your buddy's shoes...I'm leaving for three years, I invite you up to my lake house for a goodbye party, and you tell me you won't allow my baby on your boat? Sorry...I don't think there's any way you can get out of that one without looking like a d1ck.

tommcat
04-13-2007, 08:51 AM
drive like an animal, they wont want the kid in the boat anymore

Jkelly
04-13-2007, 09:12 AM
I have taken several friends and the babies out in my boat. We just go for a short slow ride. I have had babies as young as 2 months in my boat. Like the rules that were being discussed yesterday everyone under 13 must were a life vest in my boat anyway.
And if it is like the friends I have had in my boat the mother has a death grip on the kid anyway.
I might mention to my friend that I would like to take the boat for a drive with out the wife and kids (all so no one get up set) just to get the feel of it. When we first bought our boat my wife and me took it out and left our kids (they were 4 and 8) at home the first time just to get the feel of it. Then load every body up for a nice slow gentle ride. My :twocents:

Evan Jones
04-13-2007, 09:43 AM
I think he just doesn't want baby puke on his seats and floor !:eek:

Monte
04-13-2007, 10:05 AM
I say take them out and drive slow. Somebody mentioned it before, but momma and baby will grow weary of the boat pretty quick IMHO. At some point it is going to be time to feed and nap. I'd just crawl around for an hour or so, mention to the buddy you'd like to get some runs in, and drop mom and baby off at the house. I can assure you mom isn't going to want to stay onboard with baby when the runs start. Win/win You don't have to seem like a jerk, baby gets a little experience on the water.

#47of100TeamMC
04-13-2007, 10:07 AM
I don't think it would be a big deal. it's not like your going to be doing Power turns or anything. As long as Mom has a death grip and the kid has a lifejacket on you should be just fine.

My brother had his first kid last June 14th. and we were on my boat with her on the 4th of July. lets see... that's just over 2 weeks old. She seems fine now except that little shake and twitch she has, (kidding kidding) You'll be fine. take pics and post them!

twieder
04-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Just my :twocents:

A buddy of mine had a little girl spring of 05,and aginst mommies orders, baby and dad took a boat ride at 4 weeks old! No issues at all! At that age,a baby carrier is the key and will contain any "accidents".

Like others mentioned, baby will get cranky and so will mom and once they are safely back on shore, then the fun can begin.

SkiEngr
04-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Ok, it seems the concensus is that the kid should go. I'm not worried about the baby having an accident or anything...life is too short to be anal about that type of stuff (i.e. it'll clean), but since we don't have kids and most of my friends are just beginning to have kids, I just didn't know what was standard practice on the water.

The comments do bring up another question though...several have said that it would be wrong to be invited to a guy's lakehouse and then tell him I don't want the kid in the boat. That does seam harsh, but does the same logic apply to other rules of the boat? For instance, if I had owned my boat for several years and had a standing rule that kids under 6 months were not allowed, do I toss that rule because I was invited to his lakehouse and it would be rude for me to enforce the rule? What if it was cheetoes (sp?)? What if I had a standing rule that I didn't allow cheetoes in my boat, do I toss that rule because I was invited to his lakehouse? (by the way, I am not that dumb...I just think it makes for good discussion)

So, in the end, the forum has spoken and I'll allow the kid in the boat (assuming the lake isn't swarming with idiots). Again, I wasn't really trying to spite my friend or be a jacka$$ about it, I was just more concerned with safety.

Sodar
04-13-2007, 11:14 AM

RIGHT ON CASEY! That is the FIRST thing that ran through my head! I would literally laugh in my buddy's face and give him the boot right then and there! :mad:

I have been on boats just as long as I have been on land and my kids will be NO different.

Heck, I have pictures of getting bathed in the galley sink, 90 miles off Cabo San Lucas at a month old!!!

I have tons of pictures too, much like Pendo's and TX.X-30's with me passed out under the bimini... actually, my parents tell stories about when I was really being a pain in the arse and would not fall asleep, they would take me out in the boat to get me to pass out... bring the kid up around water and he will love it just as much, maybe even more than you!!

PendO
04-13-2007, 11:17 AM
LIFE JACKETS NOT REQUIRED TO BE WORN IN IDAHO WHEN A BOAT IS ABOVE A CERTAIN LENGTH - PENDO

"Children 14 years of age and younger, on board vessels 19 feet or less, must wear an approved life jacket when the vessel is underway."

http://www.boat-ed.com/id/handbook/pfds.htm (http://www.boat-ed.com/id/handbook/pfds.htm)

SkiEngr
04-13-2007, 11:24 AM
I think that you guys are assuming that everyone has as much experience and is as comfortable around water as most of you are. I wasn't necessiarly going to totally dismiss the kid or anything, I just want to make sure the parents (who don't have that much experience around water) to think thru their decision a little bit before just throwing him in the boat.

#47of100TeamMC
04-13-2007, 11:36 AM
LIFE JACKETS NOT REQUIRED TO BE WORN IN IDAHO WHEN A BOAT IS ABOVE A CERTAIN LENGTH - PENDO

"Children 14 years of age and younger, on board vessels 19 feet or less, must wear an approved life jacket when the vessel is underway."

http://www.boat-ed.com/id/handbook/pfds.htm (http://www.boat-ed.com/id/handbook/pfds.htm)

I wonder why there isn't just a nationwide boating rule book. I'm pretty sure in MN/WI you need a lifejacket under 13.

PendO
04-13-2007, 11:39 AM

#47of100TeamMC
04-13-2007, 11:40 AM

#47of100TeamMC
04-13-2007, 11:42 AM

oh yeah... take this...........................

PendO
04-13-2007, 11:46 AM

jrcarte78
04-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Take the kids! With the kid on board you'll have a chance to poke around and become familiar with your new 'Craft. As alot of others have mentioned, Momma and baby will grow tired of boating very quickly. Once they want to leave, you and your buddy can go back our for a few runs.

And, this is just an inboard ski boat, not a 1000 ft container vessel. It drives a bit different, but you'll pick up very fast.

:twocents:

Monte
04-13-2007, 11:52 AM
I think that you guys are assuming that everyone has as much experience and is as comfortable around water as most of you are. I wasn't necessiarly going to totally dismiss the kid or anything, I just want to make sure the parents (who don't have that much experience around water) to think thru their decision a little bit before just throwing him in the boat.

They won't throw him;) I would almost rather have an infant than a toddler on the boat. The infant is going to lay there in moms or dads arms and be cute. The toddler will sqirm, TRY to get away and want to run around the boat climb on the seats "see the water"reach over the side to "feel the water" pick up stuff like sunglasses and attempt to throw them.. You'll have a good time. Don't worry about it. Just be careful:)

jraben8
04-13-2007, 12:02 PM
From my experience... More than likely, once the sun and wind are on her face for more than 5 minutes, mom will want to get her back inside...

And personally, with a 3 month old on board I wouldn't go any faster than idle speed but that is just me....

#47of100TeamMC
04-13-2007, 12:06 PM
........................aren't these dots hypnotic?

PendO
04-13-2007, 12:23 PM
.................................. Chris and I sorted this out via PM's ...

M-Funf
04-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Looks like you got your answer on the kid in the boat part...I'd just like to add one more thing...

I would always advocate no drinking when taking people out on the boat, but it can't be emphasized enough when you have little ones on board...

Have fun..............Be Safe.

Jesus_Freak
04-13-2007, 12:32 PM
SkiEngr, welcome.

PendO and #47: Gentlemen, we are on the same team.

#47of100TeamMC
04-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Nothing to see here...

#47of100TeamMC
04-13-2007, 12:41 PM
SkiEngr, welcome.

Yeah, Congrats on the new boat. Welcome to boat ownership... it's spendy! you're going to love it.

Jesus_Freak
04-13-2007, 12:48 PM
It is none of my business, but lets consider giving everyone time to take a deep breath and consider our own flaws. I certainly have a multitude of flaws. :)

dpolen
04-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Good luck with the little one on the boat, we had my daughter out at 5 weeks (she was a premie at 5 weeks early, so she was a peanut). Having the car seat in the boat made things a heck of a lot easier. If you've got a bimini top, put the sucker up, it will make the experience a lot better for everybody. My 2 cents...life is short and we work damn hard for our toys, share them with your friends...it beats sitting at the office no matter how you look at it.

bigpack20
04-13-2007, 01:06 PM
3 months there is not too much damage that can be done. If you want to hang with him for the weekend you don't want to push his kid to the side. And he got a vest for the kid so you don't have to mess with not have one that fits his kid. I have a 1 month old and when it is time to hit the water she will be there.

Loffgren
04-13-2007, 01:07 PM
3 months is to yound our doc said at leat 6 months due to spinal development..your call!

dichdoc
04-13-2007, 01:15 PM
My daughter was in her car seat in the boat going through the course at 6 months. It wasn't earlier because she was born in January. But my wife and I are in the bad parent club already because my wife skied while pregnant. She asked the doctor, " can I water ski while pregnant?" His reply, "Well could you before you were pregnant?" As far as spinal development I'm not sure what the differnce between riding in a boat or a car on a bad road would be? But my kid does lean to the left alittle. TB

Sodar
04-13-2007, 01:19 PM
3 months is to yound our doc said at leat 6 months due to spinal development..your call!

That explains sooo much!! That is why I am only 5'7"!!! :D ;) :D

Maristar210
04-13-2007, 01:27 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Willski
04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Wow. I have a 3 & 5 year olds. They were both born in November/December, so by the time the boat came out in April/May they were a little older. I would say as long as it is warm, and you drive carefully, it should be fine. I wonder about a lifejacket to fit the little one though. 3 months is pretty young. Carseat I think is safer if it is fastened in. The boat is not going to tip over!

Diesel
04-13-2007, 01:38 PM

That might be the law but it is careless IMHO to have kids of any age on a boat of any size without lifejackets.:mad:

Natural selection at its best.

dmayer84
04-13-2007, 01:49 PM

On the boat at 2 weeks old. 5'7" as well, the boat did it, thats my excuse and im stickin with it.

east tx skier
04-13-2007, 01:51 PM

My kid has perfect posture. ;) We did check with our doc beforehand though about there being anything we hadn't thought of in taking him out that early.

TMCNo1
04-13-2007, 02:00 PM
OK, ya'll I got it!

I will only allow babies onboard if their diaper rash has been treated and the diaper saturated with Starbrite Teak Oil and they are allowed to sit and play on the platform. No if's or butt's about it!

mitch
04-13-2007, 02:45 PM
I say let your buddy bring the baby, it s/b no problem. He sounds excited and it'll be a nice memory for all.

loeweb
04-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Had our son out last year at about 3 months. No serious skiing, just leisure stuff, but the lake we ski on is pretty narrow. Kept him in a carseat with a lifejacket on. We folded the floatation down behind his back, and put towels under his head so he could ride more comfortably. Worked out well. If he got cranky, the wife would take him into shore. I had no problems, but again my kid and I was driving him. Take your time and drive careful, everything will be allright.

Rockman
04-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Regarding your friend's baby on your boat, like many said...it's a comfort level issue for you. Don't do anything you're not comfortable with...period. If something happens, no matter what, you're going to be blamed as the captain.

Three points I want to make:

1-Make sure the baby has a life vest on...no matter what.
2-Make sure someone has the baby held closely ALL the time.
3-The baby should never be in the front of the boat or the back. The baby should be held next to the driver in the passenger seat.

I have been on boats since I was an infant and are very comfortable as if my wife. So our situation is a little different than yours. We had Olivia out on our boat the beginning of May when she was only 2+ months old. She was not fussy and did not cry. Memorial Day weekend we had her out with a boat load of people footin and she fell asleep in my wife's arms despite all the people in the boat and the noise from the engine. Olivia has taken the boat rides as a place to sleep...I cannot complain.

Olivia is probably used to the motion of the boat already as my wife was on boats up until we put ours away for winter which was the end of November. Olivia was probably used to the motion of the boat...or it could have been Erkle's T Turn at St. Charles that got her excited! :rolleyes:

This year will be different for us as our little one can walk and will probably be more interested in what the boat is all about. She already has 2 different life vests and is comfortable wearing them.

Olivia is already a "water she" and will probably be footin by the end of summer if Dadda, Uncle Sassy or Uncle Erkle can help it. :D

bigmac
04-13-2007, 04:21 PM
3 months is to yound our doc said at leat 6 months due to spinal development..your call!Bah! Those frickin' doctors are full of it. Spinal development...:rolleyes:

PendO
04-13-2007, 04:32 PM
In case some of you are wondering about federal/state life jacket laws, here is a good link (I am not sure if it is accurate or not, check with your local governing authorities):

http://www.kidsaboard.com/life_jackets_age.htm

TX.X-30 fan
04-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Bah! Those frickin' doctors are full of it. Spinal development...:rolleyes:

:shocked: :D

TX.X-30 fan
04-13-2007, 04:37 PM
This is the wife and I out for a ride. Not a very good pic though you can barley see the baby, he is right the in the center. 8p 8p

Sodar
04-13-2007, 04:39 PM
This is the wife and I out for a ride. Not a very good pic though you can barley see the baby, he is right the in the center.

Wow, that boat had a hard fall off the ugly truck!! :D ;) :D

TX.X-30 fan
04-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Wow, that boat had a hard fall off the ugly truck!! :D ;) :D

LMAO, thats funny Sodar. 8p

weskix4
04-13-2007, 06:32 PM
My oldest (who is now 14 and has a good spine) started out on our 88 PS190 at the age of 3 months. Anyone who has ridden in a late 80's MC know that they will beat you to death in rough water. That being said, as long as you use common sense you'll do fine. If the water is rough - go slow. If it is butter, you make the call based on your comfort level. Chances are your buddy just wants to have the opportunity to share the coolest addition to his family like you want to share the coolest addition to yours...your new MC. The keys from my experience is to make sure the vest fits as well as possible (usually fit better at 6 months but the size of the child will make a difference), and make sure to support the babies head and neck. The baby will probably just fall asleep. Also, don't expect to go out and make a huge training run. Just enjoy your friends company and don't let this ruin a good time. The baby will most likely only be on the boat for a short time. Then take you bud out and ski your brains out while mom takes the baby and does the mom thing. Enjoy!!

Thrall
04-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I'll add my $.02 as well.
If you're not comfortable w/ operating your boat safely yet, then I'd suggest not bringing the baby, or anyone else for that matter. If you're talking high traffic water w/ large waves, I'd say no again.
That said, I see no issue in taking the baby out w/ you on the boat. Our first son was 1-1/2 when we got the boat and we took him right away. Our second boy went for his first ride at about 2 months old. Had him out on the water every day for a week, all day, and into the evening a couple times. Infant life jackets will cinch up fine around babies that are 10-12lbs (Jeffrey's weight when we took him).
Just set him in the car seat w/ a blanket over it and he pretty much slept the whole time. Was way easier to control than the older kids and some of the adults.
I'd definatley insist that your friends put their baby in a life jacket though.

rstitson
04-13-2007, 06:59 PM
My two cents is the child will be fine. Take it slow and easy. Make sure you idle into areas where there might be obstruction or just avoid them. Children and their parents thrive on new experiences... As another poster mentioned take a pre-ride to determine what sights to see before going out with the child that way you will be confortable too.

BriEOD
04-13-2007, 09:04 PM
DO IT! Let the kid drive....

Maristar210
04-13-2007, 09:14 PM

Bri-

Your boy especially has a great smile. Gonna be a lady killer, that one.:D

BriEOD
04-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks Steve! I cannot believe the above photo was summer of 2005!!!!!! Time flies. This was 2 weekends ago.

east tx skier
04-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Mine drove up and down the river this evening. He's also a good spotter.

And only 20 months old (when do I get to stop counting in months)?

/the funniest thing that happened today is that he was sitting in my wife's lap and "steering." All of a sudden, he reaches over and buries the throttle. Off we went. Caught us off guard, but he's apparently been paying attention.
//Monkey learn

Monte
04-14-2007, 01:16 AM
/the funniest thing that happened today is that he was sitting in my wife's lap and "steering." All of a sudden, he reaches over and buries the throttle. Off we went. Caught us off guard, but he's apparently been paying attention.
//Monkey learn

Memories!!!!!!!;) :)

PendO
04-14-2007, 01:26 AM
Thanks Steve! I cannot believe the above photo was summer of 2005!!!!!! Time flies. This was 2 weekends ago.

Great looking kids Bri - although I do hate you for having warm weather like that:)

Matt L.
04-14-2007, 02:42 AM
I didn't read every post, but PLEASE DON"T STRAP THE KID INTO A CARRIER OR CAR SEAT IN THE BOAT!!!

God forbid there is an accident, but if there is, the carrier or car seat will serve to do nothing but sink or go face down. Thus rendering the life jacket useless. I think the carrier or seat is okay as a comfortable place for the baby to lay, just don't strap them in! If the baby ends up in the water you want him/her out there with nothing but that life jacket so it can do its job and flip him/her over to a faceup position!

I've got 9, 7 and 2 year old boys. We usually kept them on the dock until they had some head control.

GO slow and play it cool.

My $0.02,

Matt

Matt L.
04-14-2007, 02:42 AM
oops double post

Jesus_Freak
04-14-2007, 03:37 AM

Beautiful child and great shot!

TMCNo1
04-14-2007, 08:53 AM

Never could be the answer!
My wife says I'm still a kid and tells everyone I'm nearly 722 months old!:D 8p :rolleyes:

BriEOD
04-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Great looking kids Bri - although I do hate you for having warm weather like that:)
Thanks Casey. Sorry, but I can offer you the guest room. ;) Anytime brother.

BriEOD
04-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Beautiful child and great shot!
Thanks JF.

Brent
04-14-2007, 09:36 AM
My daughter has been in ski boats from 1 month of age & we often used the boat to help put her to sleep, the sound of the engine is very soothing to them. She will be 12 in May & still loves riding in boats as well as skiing behind them.

JohnnyB
04-14-2007, 10:22 AM
I think the reason for all of the posts is mostly that all of our fondest family memories are of time spent in our boats with our kids and our brothers/sister/friends/??? kids. I could write novels on memories made there.

So, I'll chime in with everyone else here and say that my youngest daughter has been riding in our boat since she was a little over 2mos old. She and my wife were parked in the spotter's seat quite often while we were out skiing and footin'. My older daughter was in the boat at 6mos. Both absolutely love our boat and the water. My youngest has referred to our boat as hers since she could talk. When I was selling my '92 and had both new boat and old boat in the garage, my older daughter who was five, asked me if we could keep the 92 for her and her sister.

I would heed Rockman's advice....put her in a life jacket at all times, sit her in the seat opposite the driver, make sure you support her head/neck/etc, and avoid any bouncing (back off on the throttle if you're taking on big chop). You may just take them on a putt around the lake and find some really calm water for a couple higher speed passes, but all bets are that mom and baby will only be out with you for a short while

Have fun making your own memories!!!!

Doug G
04-14-2007, 09:12 PM
My :twocents: . Don't over think it. Common sense communication and honesty with your friend will work it all out. We vacation with 2 other families. Last year my best friends just had their third daughter she was 2 months old on vacation. She had a vest that fit and did a couple trips on the pontoon with everyone. Common sense, we took it easy, mom was holding on to her, etc... When she had enough we went back.

Just make sure your friend knows your still learning on your boat, talk about what you are going to do with the baby on board, no booze for the driver till it's docked. Take it easy, shoot lots of pics, laugh, enjoy life and your friends. These times only come once, don't let fear and stress take away from the blessings. Above all, assuming you have a good head on your shoulders or you wouldn't be worried in the first place, be smart.

ProTour X9
04-15-2007, 08:55 AM
If it was an older prostar you could attach a car seat to the mirror attachment bar, i know firsthand

SoCalBrew
04-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Here is some food for thought... if your friend has a life jacket for his 3 month old already... have him put it on her a few times - before hand - to see how she (the baby) reacts. Our daughter was 4 months, and absolutely hated the jacket... mainly because her neck was so short and the jacket made it so she was locked in like a straight jacket. According to everyone, it was the proper fit, but, she just didn't like it. Tried a few different jackets, same result... finally, her neck grew a little, and everything was fine.

If the baby fusses/screams so much that it makes the new parents miserable, they might not be inclined to have her out on the boat.

That being said, with the way the jackets are designed these days, they actually get pretty dcecent neck support, so it should be relatively safe. The idea of putting and infant in a boat in a car seat, though, is pretty scarry. (I skipped thru some of the pages of comments here - so if this has already been mentioned here, please forgive me)

If you put a baby in a life jacket and then strap them into a car seat - and the car seat is ejected, it is likely that the jacket is not going to get the chance to function properly and keep they baby's head out of the water. Some car seats may float... but upside down...

For that reason, and the fact that boats don't have seat belts, I would avoid using a car seat.

We had dozens of infants from a few weeks and up in our boats, and have never really had a problem. Sometimes, the baby is irritated with all the jostling, but, I'd say that biggest worry would be the sun... That delicate skin fry's so fast... and at such a young age, sunblock can be pretty harsh on skin... so, Top Up and light blankets for cover, and you should be all set to go...

A nice easy cruise could be a great memory for the new family.

SoCalBrew
04-15-2007, 10:36 PM
It's all supposed to be fun anyway... isn't it??

milkmania
04-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Mine drove up and down the river this evening. He's also a good spotter.

//Monkey learn
just bought a new jacket today for my 137 months old daughter:rolleyes:

Leroy
04-15-2007, 11:27 PM
This thread has taken off! Lots of good advise on here, but you captured it really well Doug. We still love pictures on paper that we have from when our kids are babies!

My :twocents: . Don't over think it. Common sense communication and honesty with your friend will work it all out. We vacation with 2 other families. Last year my best friends just had their third daughter she was 2 months old on vacation. She had a vest that fit and did a couple trips on the pontoon with everyone. Common sense, we took it easy, mom was holding on to her, etc... When she had enough we went back.

Just make sure your friend knows your still learning on your boat, talk about what you are going to do with the baby on board, no booze for the driver till it's docked. Take it easy, shoot lots of pics, laugh, enjoy life and your friends. These times only come once, don't let fear and stress take away from the blessings. Above all, assuming you have a good head on your shoulders or you wouldn't be worried in the first place, be smart.

WESSTAR
04-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Growing up my parents had my sister on the boat at 21 days old. We used to ski all day long with her and she just slept through it all. And the fact that a 2001 X-Star is a pretty good size boat that will ride nice even in rough water you should have no problems out there. That way you and you friend get to hang out and all is well.

jimmer2880
04-17-2007, 06:57 AM
A slight threadjack here.... I was in Sams club over the weekend. They have awesome little Obrian neoprene infant jackets in stock. For those of you who don't know, the neoprene infant jacket is a MUCH MUCH better fit than any nylon we could find.

H20skeefreek
04-17-2007, 08:50 AM
I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if these points have already been made but, babies can't wear sunscreen 'til they are 6 months old, and they need to be aware of that. I'm not a doctor, but it's highly dangerous to put it on them. And NOT wearing it is not really an option, as they could kill the kid with sun exposure at that age, so the did shoudn't be out more than a few minutes in the sun anyway.

As far as this being your first inboard, they draft less than an I/O, so there is nothing to be "more comfortable" about. You are safer in an inboard than an I/O or outboard.

east tx skier
04-17-2007, 12:16 PM
I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if these points have already been made but, babies can't wear sunscreen 'til they are 6 months old, and they need to be aware of that. I'm not a doctor, but it's highly dangerous to put it on them. And NOT wearing it is not really an option, as they could kill the kid with sun exposure at that age, so the did shoudn't be out more than a few minutes in the sun anyway.

We spoke to our doctor about this after reading things similar to what you posted. She informed us the "PABA free" sunscreen was fine for babies younger than six months if used in moderation. Moderation, in her opinion was key (light amount on face (avoiding eyelids) and back of hands). We were cautious about it. In addition to the bimini top, we purchased some cover up clothing with UV protection built in that he wore on the boat.

We were only out on the boat with him (he's an August baby) maybe three times before he was six months old.

3event
04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Hot topic at our house right now. Baby is 5months old. I am mainly concerned, when skiing etc, about hitting chop and bouncing around. I would rather not worry about the strength of the infant's neck and trying to ensure the head is properly supported at every moment. I agree with above concerns about a car seat and wouldn't try that approach. Mom is busy in the boat and has to watch the other kids too.

So we just elected that this summer, the baby stays on shore. There are always grandparents etc around, or Mom can stay with him. May cut down on my ski time a bit, but everyone will have a good time.

Any slow cruises on the MC or the tooner will be an option. Any faster travel, he will stay on shore.

SoCalBrew
04-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Just a note to add to the sunscreen thought... a typical shirt doesn't provide any more then 20 to 30 spf... so if the kids are going to go out... it should not be for long... and, they should be under the Bimini...

But Yah... the memories are awesome! Now my two year old says "boat" at anything that remotely resembles the water!

Tom

east tx skier
04-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Just a note to add to the sunscreen thought... a typical shirt doesn't provide any more then 20 to 30 spf... so if the kids are going to go out... it should not be for long... and, they should be under the Bimini...

But Yah... the memories are awesome! Now my two year old says "boat" at anything that remotely resembles the water!

Tom

They have some great cover-ups for kids now that have UV protection (maybe 50 spf) built into the garment. Great stuff, but not a replacement for the bimini to be sure.

Vegas X-Star
04-23-2007, 01:40 PM
My rule...if they can't talk, they can't get in the boat. 3 months is crazy though...that kids head will get banged around every time your hit a wake.