PDA

View Full Version : What model Holley 4160 for Prostar???

GregBR549
04-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the great help everyone.
I am looking at replacing the carb on my '93 prostar with the 351 Ford indmar motor. Ya'll told me to get a Holley 4160. I am looking but there are several different 4160s. There is a 80319, 80551 and maybe others. Which one should I get? I am not a horsepower nut. I just want a nice running motor.
Thanks again,
greg

TRBenj
04-12-2007, 09:26 AM
I believe you are referring to List numbers. The specific list shouldnt matter (there are MANY that would work). Just make sure you get a 600cfm Marine 4160.

If youre not sure those list numbers fall into that category, call the Holley Tech line and theyll ID a specific List #.

TMCNo1
04-12-2007, 09:42 AM
www.skidim.com can lead you in the right direction. Call and talk to Vince or Richard.

mrG
04-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Not sure which carb you are running now. If you are going to replace a Holley 4010 with a 4160 you may have to replace the fuel line from the pump to the carb as the OEM hard line will not fit, and may not be available. (This according to others who have done this change). I'm not saying it can't be done just that it may not be a simple bolt on job.

If you have a 4010 and want to consider replacing it, Overton's seems to have them available. I had heard that this model has been discontinued some time ago so I don't know if they are new-old-stock, rebuilt, or what.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=22244&pdesc=Holley_Marine_Carburetor_80551/4010/RA052002

I'm sure there will be many more posts on this subject from folks who have already made the change.

east tx skier
04-12-2007, 11:49 AM
If you go 4010 to 4160, you'll have to replace the fuel line. The hard lines are no longer available for our fuel pumps, but some sort of braided stainless steel or otherwise appropriate flexible fuel line should work fine. Having run both carbs on my boat, if you're going to replace it, I'd vote for the 4160. Reliable as can be.

TRBenj
04-12-2007, 01:52 PM
The hard lines are no longer available for our fuel pumps, but some sort of braided steel or otherwise appropriate flexible fuel line should work.

Either a hard fuel line or a braided SS fuel line will work (and be safe). The PCM style hard fuel line is still available ($15 from SkiDIM) but apparently it will only work if you are changing to that style fuel pump as well.

An even cheaper option is to build your own. I used 3/8" brake line and a tube bender to create a new line. It came with a flare on both ends and both fittings I needed. It needed to be cut to length, so you would need the tool to put a double taper on one end- if you dont have one autozone may rent them.

GregBR549
04-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the responses. I am replacing a 4010. It now has a dual fuel line. If I make the fuel line myself, can I use copper and a tube bender, or is it better to use braided stainless?
Thanks again for all the help.
Greg

east tx skier
04-12-2007, 04:51 PM
I've read that copper isn't desireable for fuel lines. I do not know that for sure though or the reason why. Was just reading through a racing forum.

TRBenj
04-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the responses. I am replacing a 4010. It now has a dual fuel line. If I make the fuel line myself, can I use copper and a tube bender, or is it better to use braided stainless?
Thanks again for all the help.
Greg

I would stick with the braided stainless or the brake line. A 5' section of 3/8" brake line should be less than $10 at Autozone, and that will include both fittings.

mrG
04-13-2007, 11:21 AM
I would stick with the braided stainless or the brake line. A 5' section of 3/8" brake line should be less than $10 at Autozone, and that will include both fittings.

I agree. Don't risk the safety of your family and friends by intoducing a substandard fuel delivery system and create a serious fire hazard on your boat all in an attempt to save a few dollars.

Another thought comes to mind: if you suffer a hull loss due to fire and the insurance adjuster discovers that you had an illegal fuel line (non-Coast Guard approved) is it possible they may have the right to deny your claim?

:twocents:

Safety first!

parrish1
04-13-2007, 11:42 AM
just replaced my 4010 with the 4160. Purchased it from Skidim.com and the fuel line replacement as well. Skidim knows exactly what you need. I did the replacement and was no problem at all. 15 minutes and done. I cranked it up, made no adjustments other than idle speed and it is flawless. Dont forget to change over the little triangular shaped throttle plate piece from your 4010 to the 4160. It is held on with just one small bolt/machine screw. You will figure out to do this when your throttle cable doesnt reach just right... thats when I figured something was missing--- I started to adjust my throttle linkage to get to reach then I realized the little plate on the old carb needed to be on the 4160 for it to line up without adjustment. New fuel line was expensive (80.00 I believe) but it was worth not having to jerryrig a makeshift line that would work. The new fuel line is braded/rubbercoated type line but is the correct length and proper fittings so no worries with it. Good luck.

TMCNo1
04-13-2007, 12:40 PM
I did this,http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=324770&postcount=2 because I had a fuel line problem and the new line wasn't long enough.

hz900
04-14-2007, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the great help everyone.
I am looking at replacing the carb on my '93 prostar with the 351 Ford indmar motor. Ya'll told me to get a Holley 4160. I am looking but there are several different 4160s. There is a 80319, 80551 and maybe others. Which one should I get? I am not a horsepower nut. I just want a nice running motor.
Thanks again,
greg

Since no one else answered your question, I'll chime in. You need the 80319. I almost bought the 4160 before rebuilding my 4010 and getting it running properly and noticed that there were two that summit listed, and the 80319 was $60 more. So I called Holley and the tech told me that they are the same exact carb, but the 80319 is precalibrated for our MC/inboard boat configuration. In other words if you don't know how to set the mixture screws and the floats, spend the extra $60, summit has the 80319 listed for $459 last time I checked.

You will also have to get a different fuel line as others have stated. If you have a speed shop or a hydraulic shop near you they should be able to make you a high pressure hose with ends on it in a matter of a few minutes, just take the carb in to them to make sure they get the right size end.

TMCNo1
04-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Since no one else answered your question, I'll chime in. You need the 80319. I almost bought the 4160 before rebuilding my 4010 and getting it running properly and noticed that there were two that summit listed, and the 80319 was $60 more. So I called Holley and the tech told me that they are the same exact carb, but the 80319 is precalibrated for our MC/inboard boat configuration. In other words if you don't know how to set the mixture screws and the floats, spend the extra $60, summit has the 80319 listed for $459 last time I checked.

You will also have to get a different fuel line as others have stated. If you have a speed shop or a hydraulic shop near you they should be able to make you a high pressure hose with ends on it in a matter of a few minutes, just take the carb in to them to make sure they get the right size end.

Or just take in the old fuel line, less messy!

TRBenj
04-15-2007, 01:34 PM
In other words if you don't know how to set the mixture screws and the floats, spend the extra $60, summit has the 80319 listed for $459 last time I checked.

The only possible difference between the list numbers will be the size of the power valve and possibly the jets. For a stock 351w, 66 jets on the primary and a 6.5 PV are a good starting point.

Just about any new carb will need to be adjusted out of the box. Float levels will vary depending on the angle of the engine, and the mixture screws will need to be adjusted as well. Dont expect to bolt on a carb and not have to do any fine tuning.