PDA

View Full Version : Car frustration

JohnnyB
04-11-2007, 11:19 PM
I've got an '02 Grand Prix with 35K mi on it.

So tonight I decided to work late and its snowing like crazy....I went to leave a few minutes ago. I started the car and let it idle while scraping the windows. I then hit the trunk open button on the key fob (key in ignition) to open the trunk. When I did this, everything went dark and it died and would not restart....nothing is getting power. I checked the fuses because that it is what it seems like happened but they are all good.

I'm suspecting a jump start probably won't do it.

Wifey is finding a neighbor to take the kids so she can drive the 1/2 hour to pick me up :mad:

Any ideas on what to look at?

Hoosier Bob
04-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Pop the trunk and may have been frozen? Did it pop immediately? If it did check your batteries contacts/connections. Could be coroded beyond belief or loose. The battery could also be due to change/replace. Popping the trunk while running should have no impact if all other ignition systems are working properly. If battery cables are coroded then alternater cannot charge to capacity. If it died while running I would check the ICM/ECM. Why it blew I do not know unless the trunk held up and created a significant load on the power source causing the ECM to blow(low voltage, age or spike). If cranks normally but no ignition the ECM is most likely gone by coincidence. The motor should not quit while running due to a bad battery.

Maristar210
04-11-2007, 11:29 PM
I've got an '02 Grand Prix with 35K mi on it.

So tonight I decided to work late and its snowing like crazy....I went to leave a few minutes ago. I started the car and let it idle while scraping the windows. I then hit the trunk open button on the key fob (key in ignition) to open the trunk. When I did this, everything went dark and it died and would not restart....nothing is getting power. I checked the fuses because that it is what it seems like happened but they are all good.

I'm suspecting a jump start probably won't do it.

Wifey is finding a neighbor to take the kids so she can drive the 1/2 hour to pick me up :mad:

Any ideas on what to look at?

I had a very similar gremlin in my 2002 Sierra Denali. Every six months or so it would do this very thing. What I found is if you turn the key off and on over and over and over, all of a sudden it fires up and then will be fine for another 6 months or so. I went through this three times (dealer found nothing) and turned that FPOS in on a different truck.

Seriously: Key on, Key off x 25 and she starts. I got money says so. Best of luck - Steve

bcampbe7
04-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Check to see if there is a small wire on the positive side of the battery.

I had a Toyota Supra that did something similar. I had just left work and was leaving the parking lot when everything went dark. It was late and cold and I didn't want to mess with the car so I had it towed home. Turned out that that little wire on the positive side of the battery was pretty corroded and just fell off when I moved it.

The wire feeds your main fuse block under the hood.

Hoosier Bob
04-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Don't forget "Gremlins!" Cut your hair and place it around your vehicle! This will either keep them out or in!:o 8p

JimN
04-11-2007, 11:37 PM
The ECM doesn't control the accessories- the body computer does. The trunk release is a simple box, like a Code Alarm (who used to, or may still, make them for GM, Ford and others on an OEM basis) and the box sends a ground pulse to latch a relay. If the trunk release was installed by the dealer, it could be that a wire was pinched but the problem never showed up till now. That being the case, my guess is that a fusible link did its job and it happens to be the one feeding the ignition switch. It's probably under a plastic cover on the firewall and if you can look at it in daylight, they usually have a rubber rectangular piece on it. Look for the red one, like a 10 ga wire. If it doesn't have any outward signs of trouble, grasp it by the end where it looks like it joins the main harness and tug it. If it went away, it'll be the only one that stretches. The rest will all be intact.

If you want to look at it yourself, ask a dealer for a schematic and the fusible links will be indicated on that.

Hoosier Bob
04-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Dang Jim I could just sit here and listen to you talk! Tell Hoosier a story! Nice words BTW!

EricB
04-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Nothing works??? Do the headlights? If nothing at all, look at the battery connections. My Bonneville does the same thing every once in a while and the pos. terminal needs tightening.

JKTX21
04-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Don't forget "Gremlins!" Cut your hair and place it around your vehicle! This will either keep them out or in!:o 8p
Sorry about your car... sounds like a GM problem. I put those behind me when I sold the last truck.

No no, don't forget the GOONIES!

"Hey yooooouu guys! I have Coors Light, can I come in!?"

"First you gotta do the truffle shuffle HB!"

JohnnyB
04-12-2007, 09:22 AM
I pretty much left it and will leave it sit there until the snowstorm is over. I would've driven my truck today anyway :D

I'll probably get to it over the weekend when there's daylight and there's not a 40mph wind with snow blowing down my neck!

Thanks for the advice on what to look for...pretty much comes down to power delivery and I'm assuming that I popped a fuse somewhere, just by the sequence of events. I suspect something is shorting to ground.

The other thing I noticed when it died was the led on the dash continued to flash for roughly 30-40 seconds....there's probably a good possibility that the circuit that drives it has a capacitor that was discharging even though the rest of the power was already removed.

Mag_Red
04-12-2007, 09:28 AM
I pretty much left it and will leave it sit there until the snowstorm is over. I would've driven my truck today anyway :D

I'll probably get to it over the weekend when there's daylight and there's not a 40mph wind with snow blowing down my neck!

Thanks for the advice on what to look for...pretty much comes down to power delivery and I'm assuming that I popped a fuse somewhere, just by the sequence of events. I suspect something is shorting to ground.

The other thing I noticed when it died was the led on the dash continued to flash for roughly 30-40 seconds....there's probably a good possibility that the circuit that drives it has a capacitor that was discharging even though the rest of the power was already removed.:rant: YOU big P&ss! Get out there and fix the darned thing!:D

sberry3827
04-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Did you by any chance put an aftermarket keyless car starter on it. I had an 02 Grand Prix, put an aftermarket car starter on it and had all kinds of crazy electrical problems. The company that installed it looked it over a bunch of times and came up with nothing. Took it off and the car was good as new. Just a thought if you have one, I'd bet that is causing the problem.

TMCNo1
04-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Must be a compouter brain fade. Everytime we go to Vonore, on I-81 the gas guage in the Buick, with a full tank of gas, goes to empty and the red light comes on near Abingdon,VA for about 40 miles then it goes back to full and the light goes off. I might have Rexdog1's ghost onboard!

Toober Tom
04-12-2007, 10:18 AM
...........then it goes back to full and the light goes off.. .....
Let me guess, this happens right after you pull out of the gas station?

My truck does something simular and I have been trying to figure it out for years.

dog paw
04-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Must be a compouter brain fade. Everytime we go to Vonore, on I-81 the gas guage in the Buick, with a full tank of gas, goes to empty and the red light comes on near Abingdon,VA for about 40 miles then it goes back to full and the light goes off. I might have Rexdog1's ghost onboard!

You and Toober need a tank unit. See those every day. When you get it out you will find the wipers on the resistor wore off to nubs.

Off the cuff Johnny is prolly going to find a battery with horribly corroded term's or is going to need a ingition switch. They fail frequently and do odd things when they go. Usually it will loose BATT 1 voltage.