PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a PS195 for wakeboarding

bobk
04-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi Everyone. :)

I've enjoyed learning how to ski and wakeboard in the last 4 years and am ready to make some improvements. I'm not very good at wakeboarding yet, and some of it is not having the boat set up (most is because wakeboarding is just plane difficult to learn for me).

I don't have an extended pylon/tower and currenlty have not added any weight. Is it possible to get a used pylon and fat sacs for a total of around $200 dollars for a short term solution?

I'm not ready to jump in and add a tower and a 'ballast system'.

Thank you in advance for your comments and solutions.

cst573
04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
You can probably find a used extended pylon on ebay for around $150.
After adding a fat sac or 2 and the pump you'll be at or close to $300.

JKTX21
04-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Beatle had a couple of sacks he is willing to let go pretty cheap. PM him, he might still have them.

Maristar210
04-11-2007, 09:26 PM
BobK-

I could have you out this summer if you are in the area of the Thornapple River. I have a tower and bags if you want to ride behind it might give you a better feel of what you might expect before you go through the expense of purchasing these additions.

The offer stands, Let me know.

Steve

bobk
04-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Thank you for the invite. It would be great to get out. We'll have to wait for all this stinkin snow to go away, :mad:

BeavenX5
04-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Hi bobk
Your PS195 is a great wakeboard boat for beginners/intermediates. No need to upgrade of invest massively. You only need an X-star if you are ready for huge air almost on a competition level.

Your idea of a pylon extention (buy it used, as there are many out there upgrading to a tower) and fatsac is great. Start with the pylon and only one sac in the rear compartment. It will be plenty to start and you can always add more using the same pump.

I have an 2000 X5 which is basicly a PS195 with stock tower and stock rear ballast (regular pump over the side). It does a good enough job for a wakeboard wake for me as I have been wakeboarding part-time (mainly skier) for now 6-7 years. Since last summer, I even wakesurf behind my X5 with 2 extra fatsacs on either side of the engine. I rarely use the extra side sacs to wakeboard as the wake gets too big for me.

I did try a 2000 x-star (now the X1) and the wake with full ballasts was more than I could handle :eek: .

As you said, this will be a great start. You will not loose you investment i you buy the pylon used and upgrade later to a tower. The fatsacs will always be good, even if you decide in the future to build an integrated ballast system.

Thrall
04-13-2007, 06:30 PM
An extended pylon will give you essentially the same pull as a tower. I have one sitting in my garage that I no longer need. PM me if you're interested.