PDA

View Full Version : Extra Ballast For The Maristar

Chief
04-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Just completed the addition of approx 400lbs of ballast to "betsy". Pretty simple and under $100 bucks. Will be optesting this weekend, Trick you in? Fly high bags found on ebay $30.00 a piece.

Chief
04-11-2007, 08:19 PM
One more picture.

canada air
04-11-2007, 09:55 PM
what kind of connectors are you using to connect to sacs.
i have older maristar 200vrs with a 350 on each side of engine, 550 in front walkway, 100 waterbed tube in locker and 150 in nose of lead. 1500total. very nice when you ad people to mix

Chief
04-11-2007, 10:15 PM
They are the Fly High Pro X connectors. I ordered them from Bartswatersports.com . The nipples on the bags accept the click type connectors. I hope it's going to enhance the 600lbs factory installed tanks. I also have a 350lb bag that I will have to manually fill above the KGB tank in the front if the wake gets to peaky. I will be experimenting with what works best.

I hope the bags will empty into the tanks and out the overboard discharges with little or no work when draining.

dpolen
04-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Just curious, what are you using for your pumps? Are they built in to the boat? I just got my bags, but debating how I'm going to fill them up.

Chief
04-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Just curious, what are you using for your pumps? Are they built in to the boat? I just got my bags, but debating how I'm going to fill them up.

Using the factory installed pumps to fill the bags: basically the overflow from the tanks will be filling the bags and then when the bags are full the overflow will discharge thru the tank overflow thru hull fittings.

dpolen
04-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Using the factory installed pumps to fill the bags: basically the overflow from the tanks will be filling the bags and then when the bags are full the overflow will discharge thru the tank overflow thru hull fittings.

Thanks...I'm jealous, that seems like a nice easy way to do it....wanna trade? :rolleyes:

Chief
04-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks...I'm jealous, that seems like a nice easy way to do it....wanna trade? :rolleyes:

Only if you want the payment too!

Sodar
04-12-2007, 02:35 PM

I know nothing about ballast.... How do you drain the bags when you are done? :confused:

Chief
04-12-2007, 09:18 PM
I know nothing about ballast.... How do you drain the bags when you are done? :confused:

Flip the switch to drain. Quick tutorial, My Maristar 200VRS has three ballast tanks, one on each side of the engine and one where the ski locker would be for a total of 600lbs (they say). Each tank has a Jabsco water ballast puppy reversible pump that will fill and drain the tanks.

When the tanks are full they have a vent connection that will discharge water over the side to let you know the tanks are full. I connected that vent tube to the lower connection on the bags (which sit on top of rear tanks) so when tank is full it will start to fill bag. When the bag reaches max capacity the upper connection is now connected to where the tank vent was and the water will discharge to let you know the bag is full.

Now the uncharted water is when the pump starts draining the tank will it pull the water from the bag? I will be testing this weekend and will post results. I may have to install check valves on the vents so air does not get sucked back through the vents causing cavitation of the pumps.

To be continued.................. Hope this helps clear things up, but then I have had a few beers already!

trickskier
04-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Just completed the addition of approx 400lbs of ballast to "betsy". Pretty simple and under $100 bucks. Will be optesting this weekend, Trick you in? Fly high bags found on ebay $30.00 a piece.
Sorry, just now caught up with this thread. Need to see what's planned. When are you going Saturday or Sunday? Kingsley?

Chief
04-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Test of the additional ballast a huge success! The bags filled up to max capacity from the overflow of the main tank and drained quickly and the bags looked likes prunes when empty.

The additional weight made the wake much bigger. On the down side the boat was a sheer pig at the hole shot and turning. I think the bags are more in the 250lb range each. I may have to research a different prop but thats in the future.