PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Bimini Tops

bigpack20
04-11-2007, 01:08 PM
I read some old threads on Bimini tops and a lot of you guys like the Johnson bimini tops. I checked out the website and it looks like you can special order you top with the height you want. What is a good height to have it at?? Not having one I don’t want it to high or to low. So any help on the height would be great. Also about how much will I be looking to spend on a top from Johnson? I would want just a sold color. I have a 98 PS205.

Thanks for the help!

BrianM
04-11-2007, 01:20 PM
I don't have a measurement on mine but I have it set up pretty low although not quite as low as Easties. I like it a little lower one for looks but also for coverage. Seems like the ones that are way up there, especially the ones on towers don't provide that great of coverage especially from the side. Will take a measurement for you tomorrow but I am thinking it is only about 24" or so.

BrianM
04-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Here is another angle for you.

Sodar
04-11-2007, 01:54 PM
I like mine a little higher, I guess it is just personal preference. Here is mine... although not a Johnson Bimini.

Sodar
04-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Side View: http://picasaweb.google.com/cameron.rados/1996MasterCraftProStar190/photo#5045893283435971826

bigpack20
04-11-2007, 02:16 PM
I don't have a measurement on mine but I have it set up pretty low although not quite as low as Easties. I like it a little lower one for looks but also for coverage. Seems like the ones that are way up there, especially the ones on towers don't provide that great of coverage especially from the side. Will take a measurement for you tomorrow but I am thinking it is only about 24" or so.

That would be great if you could give me a measurement I like the way it looks. How much did you pay for you top?

BrianM
04-11-2007, 02:35 PM
That would be great if you could give me a measurement I like the way it looks. How much did you pay for you top?

Mine is not a Johnson. I got it from BAWS when I bought the boat. Don't remeber the cost but it was a deal. Will measure for you when I get to the boat tomorrow.

bigpack20
04-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Mine is not a Johnson. I got it from BAWS when I bought the boat. Don't remeber the cost but it was a deal. Will measure for you when I get to the boat tomorrow.

Thanks
I look forward to it.

milkmania
04-11-2007, 03:07 PM
looks like I'm in with the tall crowd....

hadn't really noticed

now I'm going to have a complex:(

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 03:19 PM
...although not quite as low as Easties.

Mine's not a Johnson either, but Brian's right. It's low (but I wouldn't have it otherwise. Here's a picture or two for you to compare.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/BiminiModSideView.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/SkiingatBuzzardBuoy.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/BiminiModFront.jpg

bigpack20
04-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the pics east tx

milkmania
04-11-2007, 08:31 PM
here's the one from my profile

jimmer2880
04-12-2007, 06:24 AM
I have a johnson & it's the best. Prior owner put it on. Next time I do one, it will be much lower. Too much sun gets in around the sides, etc. Honestly, I'm thinking 12-18 inches above the top of the windshield is where mine will be next time.

BuoyChaser
04-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Mine's not a Johnson either, but Brian's right. It's low (but I wouldn't have it otherwise. Here's a picture or two for you to compare.
TEX - hegh, i like how your bimini mounts...doesn't look like you had to drill any holes in the fiberglass!!!

have you seen anything similiar to that for my 2006 197???with the baby on board, need to have that "permanent sunscreen" protection!!!

east tx skier
04-12-2007, 10:15 AM
TEX - hegh, i like how your bimini mounts...doesn't look like you had to drill any holes in the fiberglass!!!

have you seen anything similiar to that for my 2006 197???with the baby on board, need to have that "permanent sunscreen" protection!!!

That's a MC top, so it ought to be available. The windshield frame is the only thing drilled (well, actually, originally, there were attachment points drilled for the rear straps, but they were so far back, it became a real pain.

The current mounts are stainless steel jaw slides purchased from Overtons. I have some bits of rubber under them to protect the grab rail (where they clamp on). It has worked great and I didn't have to redrill. The front straps loop through the grap rail and connect to themselves.

BuoyChaser
04-12-2007, 10:22 AM
That's a MC top, so it ought to be available. The windshield frame is the only thing drilled (well, actually, originally, there were attachment points drilled for the rear straps, but they were so far back, it became a real pain.

The current mounts are stainless steel jaw slides purchased from Overtons. I have some bits of rubber under them to protect the grab rail (where they clamp on). It has worked great and I didn't have to redrill. The front straps loop through the grap rail and connect to themselves.
have you seen anyone else that has adapted this same setup to a newer ride like mine???that would be so nice not to have those two CLIPS in the gel coat, catches clothes/skin/barefoot boom, not good in my opionion!!!not to mention one more DAMN thing to WAX around...

bigpack20
04-12-2007, 05:27 PM
I have a johnson & it's the best. Prior owner put it on. Next time I do one, it will be much lower. Too much sun gets in around the sides, etc. Honestly, I'm thinking 12-18 inches above the top of the windshield is where mine will be next time.

ANYONE
12- 18 inches is that a good height do you have room to move under it? I don't want it to high want to keep out as much sun, but if it is to low you can't move around under it.

east tx skier
04-12-2007, 05:34 PM
have you seen anyone else that has adapted this same setup to a newer ride like mine???that would be so nice not to have those two CLIPS in the gel coat, catches clothes/skin/barefoot boom, not good in my opionion!!!not to mention one more DAMN thing to WAX around...

I'm the only one I know of who has done it. If you have grab rails in the same spot or close, it is just a matter of ordering them, loosening them, clamping them to the grab rail. I had to adjust the lenght of my straps, which was easy enough. Just cut the seam and reconnected with a heavy duty snap.

/edit. Just looked at some pictures and it looks like the grab rails aren't the same or close. You could probably drill some eyelits inside the gunwhale just past the windshield and they'd be pretty low profile.

bigpack20
04-12-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm the only one I know of who has done it. If you have grab rails in the same spot or close, it is just a matter of ordering them, loosening them, clamping them to the grab rail. I had to adjust the lenght of my straps, which was easy enough. Just cut the seam and reconnected with a heavy duty snap.

/edit. Just looked at some pictures and it looks like the grab rails aren't the same or close. You could probably drill some eyelits inside the gunwhale just past the windshield and they'd be pretty low profile.

Your back straps are clamp to the grab rail? what clamps and were did you order them from? That looks to be a better way to do it. What is the height from you wendshield for the top?

east tx skier
04-12-2007, 05:52 PM
7/8" stainless steel jaw slides from overtons. Used some rubber from a treadmill mat to pad them.

Here are my bimini measurements.

The width from mount to mount is 73.75"
The height from deck to the top of the canvas is 25"
The height from mount to the top of the canvas is 17"
The distance from the mounting point on the windshield to the back edge of the windshield is 15".

TX.X-30 fan
04-12-2007, 06:18 PM
I like mine a little higher, I guess it is just personal preference. Here is mine... although not a Johnson Bimini.

Sodar do you have a better angle of that pic for swimsuit Friday.( that's a flat tummy). :headbang: :dance: :worthy:

No maristar210 not the dude :noface:

Sodar
04-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Sodar do you have a better angle of that pic for swimsuit Friday.( that's a flat tummy). :headbang: :dance: :worthy:

No maristar210 not the dude :noface:

I have about 100 pics of her from about age 2 to 22... not to keen on posting her up here though, she is legitimately "like my sister." I have literally grown up with her ALL my life!

TX.X-30 fan
04-12-2007, 07:02 PM
I have about 100 pics of her from about age 2 to 22... not to keen on posting her up here though, she is legitimately "like my sister." I have literally grown up with her ALL my life!

I meant no offence there SodarSki73. :)

Where was that pic taken, that spot looks very cool. I love Texas boating, but few spots look that inviting. :woohoo:

Sodar
04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
I meant no offence there SodarSki73. :)

Where was that pic taken, that spot looks very cool. I love Texas boating, but few spots look that inviting. :woohoo:

No, no offence taken! I am not gunna lie... she is smokin' and has the flatest stomach EVER!! Total sweetheart too... I just do not like to date my parents' friends' children!!

Anyways, that pic was taken infront of Echo Lodge Resort along the Colorado River in Parker, AZ... If you ever head this direction, let me know... I LOVE it out there!

http://www.echolodgeresort.com/

JKTX21
04-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Your initals wouldn't happen to be C.B. would they?

:D :D :D

BrianM
04-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Shoot forgot to measure for you tonight. Will do it Saturday.

Willski
04-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Not sure if you can do it on your boat, but I put my strap clips on the rubrail frame. Avoided the gelcoat, and I don't have to worry about sitting or stepping on one when the top is not on. You can see it in my pics.

Willski
04-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Also, mine is a little high I think. I might lower it a little. I think I can cut some length off of the main supports. There is a trade off for high vs. low. Low will protect you more from the sun, but it is a little more of a hassle to get in and out of your seats.

bigpack20
04-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Shoot forgot to measure for you tonight. Will do it Saturday.

I will look for it on Saturday. Thanks

from what I have pick up I think lower is the way to go to keep more sun out.

BuoyChaser
04-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Not sure if you can do it on your boat, but I put my strap clips on the rubrail frame. Avoided the gelcoat, and I don't have to worry about sitting or stepping on one when the top is not on. You can see it in my pics.
that's what i was thinking, modifying my straps and using a "mirror-style clamp" to mount to the windshield...will take some work in the machine shop, but think i can make it happen!!!no holes in the fiberglass is my deal...i wouldn't mind mounting through the carpet or under the gunnels where it is out of sight...

BrianM
04-15-2007, 10:07 AM
My top is 24" tall which makes it about 10" above the windshield.

Willski
04-18-2007, 01:18 PM
That is low! But you do get max protection there. My theory is that when the sun is highest and hottest, I still get good protection. When the sun starts to peak under the bimini, it is not as intense. I just put the bimini on last August and I love it when it is really hot.

bigpack20
05-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I am just about to buy my top. but have one more question how much over hang over the front windshield??

Thanks for all the help!!