PDA

View Full Version : Installing Tower Speakers

John4X2
04-11-2007, 12:31 PM
I am Getting ready to install four tower speakers (4 Calarion marine speakers with aluminum cans) on my 04 X2 and was wondering what the best way to do it would be;so you would not be able to see the wires.Also i was wonderin what gaugewire would be the best, and what most of you all use. I was told 4 or 8 gauge would be good and that 16 or 18 may work. So let me know that best way to install the speakers and what gauge wire would be the best to use. And the best way to run the wires from the Amp to the top of the Tower.

Diesel
04-11-2007, 01:38 PM
I am Getting ready to install four tower speakers on my 04 X2 and was wondering what the best way to do it would be;so you would not be able to see the wires.Also i was wonderin what gaugewire would be the best, and what most of you all use. I was told 4 or 8 gauge would be good and that 16 or 18 may work. So let me know that best way to install the speakers and what gauge wire would be the best to use. And the best way to run the wires from the Amp to the top of the Tower.

Which speakers, how many, what amplifer?

Archimedes
04-11-2007, 01:53 PM
I am Getting ready to install four tower speakers on my 04 X2 and was wondering what the best way to do it would be;so you would not be able to see the wires.Also i was wonderin what gaugewire would be the best, and what most of you all use. I was told 4 or 8 gauge would be good and that 16 or 18 may work. So let me know that best way to install the speakers and what gauge wire would be the best to use. And the best way to run the wires from the Amp to the top of the Tower.

I don't know about the 04 towers, but on my 06 with the folding tower, there's only one way to run the wires up and it's pretty obvious. From the amp, run wires through hull on the left side up the tower, drill a hole near the brake on the inside, attach a quick disconnect. On the top drill hole just up of the break, run wires up to the holes at your mounting points. Add a quick disconnect at the tower break. I believe I used 16 guage Audison speaker wire on mine, but can't recall for sure.

Isn't 4 gauge the thick wire used for the amp power/ground wire? Don't think you'd ever use that for component speakers.

prostar205
04-11-2007, 04:18 PM
I just finished removing the wire MC put in the boat to run the tower speakers and replaced it with Stinger Expert Series 14 AWG wire. I ran 4 sets of wire thru the port side of the tower leg and used Weather Tech waterproof connectors (2 - 4 position connectors). I can tell you that it was a very tight fit to get 4 - 14 AWG wires thru that tower. There is no way you would be able to get 4 - 8 AWG wire thru there. I went with 4 individual wires because I did not want to wire 2 speakers in parallel. I wanted each speaker to have its own dedicated wire directly to the amp. This makes it real easy to add additional amps and not have to run more wire.

Andyg
04-11-2007, 04:59 PM
A little tip for you on running wire through a tower if you don't have a wire snake, and even those are a pain. I used a piece of very fine string almost thread and a shop vac to suck the thread through the tower. Once I got the thread through I tied it to some heavier string and pulled that through. Now you can use the heavy string to pull the speaker wires through.

John4X2
04-12-2007, 04:19 PM
how did you use the shop vac to get the wire up?

Andyg
04-12-2007, 04:26 PM
how did you use the shop vac to get the wire up?

You suck a small thread through the tower using the shop vac. Tape over all of the extra holes in the tower to provide a good suction. Feed the thread into the hole at the hinge in the tower and then suck the thread through and out the hole where you want the speaker wire to exit, the furthest speaker location. Then tie a larger string to the thread and pull the thread until the larger string is though. Now you can tie/tape the speaker wires to the striing and pull them through. I suggest pulling all speaker wires at once otherwise the thread will get hung up after you run the first set of speaker wire.

Jkelly
04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Andyg,

Thanks for the tip on the speaker wire. I could not figure out how to get it up there so I ran my wire on the outside. It was hard to notice for most people but it is driving me crazy.

chevy08bud
You don't use the shopvac to get the wire up, you use really fine string and the vacuum will pull the string up the tower and thru the hole. After that, attach some larger string to the fine string and pull that through. After that, attach the wire to the heavy string and pull through the tower. vwalla, wire in your tower!

chevy08bud
dam, you guys are fast.

jrhollow
04-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Instead of taping all the holes to create suction, try tying a small piece of plastic bag at the end of the string. The vac should suck it right up to the whole.

BCBlazers
04-12-2007, 08:56 PM
you guys are somethin else, i've always used a clothes hanger for my wiring ordeals....but that'd have to be one BIG shirt... ha