PDA

View Full Version : Flexing Zero Flex Tower

dvierck
04-11-2007, 11:22 AM
I just purchased a 2001 X-9 and we love it. The only thing is that the Zero Flex Tower is apparently slightly tweaked. There is two fingers space between the port side tower and the arch of the wind shield and it nearly touces on starboard. When we take on heavy chop the tower occasionally clanks against the windshield. I called the MC dealer in Portland Oregon and they have never heard of the problem. Any advice is appreciated.

Maristar210
04-11-2007, 11:26 AM
I just purchased a 2001 X-9 and we love it. The only thing is that the Zero Flex Tower is apparently slightly tweaked. There is two fingers space between the port side tower and the arch of the wind shield and it nearly touces on starboard. When we take on heavy chop the tower occasionally clanks against the windshield. I called the MC dealer in Portland Oregon and they have never heard of the problem. Any advice is appreciated.

Welcome aboard. They do flex. Mine does too. Over time they might flex off to one side so its understandable. Are are the tower bolts torqued properly and are you sure it does not have any cracks?

Again, welcome -

Steve

dvierck
04-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks Steve. All the foot bolts seem to be tight and there are no cracks in the material. It's not an astehetic issue, I just don't like the tower contacting the windshield. I wonder if I can have it tweaked by a body shop?

Diesel
04-11-2007, 12:29 PM
They really should change the name. :)

Maristar210
04-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks Steve. All the foot bolts seem to be tight and there are no cracks in the material. It's not an astehetic issue, I just don't like the tower contacting the windshield. I wonder if I can have it tweaked by a body shop?

You know I am not sure but perhaps loosening it and reassembling it with some tension on it to pull it away from where it is contacting might have merit.

This is really more of a dealer question though. MYMC and Jim@Baws probably could answer this quickly. Lets wait and see what they say?

Good Luck - Steve

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-11-2007, 12:54 PM
They really should change the name. :)

:D

It's 'Zero Flex Flyer'. Must mean the "Flyer" (wakeboarder) has zero flex! :o

MYMC
04-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Yes, the tower does flex some (it is aluminum) and so does the boat...that is a good thing, when things don't have some flex they break...if you doubt that try flexing a window sometime.

As to why your tower is closer on one side than the other that goes to the way the boat is built. The windshield is mounted without the use of a "jig" and as such has room for human error. With older tower boats the room for error was greater than it is today with the new style towers. After the windshield was installed the tower would be mounted. If the windshield is off in any direction that will show up as the tower needs to be bolted to the backing plates.

Hope that clears this up for you.