PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Shower question!

bbeach
04-11-2007, 10:46 AM
After Sunday's set and freezin my arse off I've got my heated seat wired up and yesterday I purchased $90 worth of parts to build my own Shower... I'm sick of cold wetsuits and frozen toes, but I don't want to stop skiing in the cold! Solution: Installing a shower.

I've seached and reread all the shower install threads on here. However I need a bit more specif info if anyone can help! My boat is at the lake house and I'd like to at least attempt to get my parts list satisfied before I go there to do my install. So I need some specifics!

My 1990 190 has the 351. Knowing that here's what I need to know!
- Size and type of T Connector to tap into my Raw water source? I want to tap in at the hose that comes in from the water intake, NOT between the water pump and block.
- What size (1/2??) and thread type do I need to tap into the passenger side petcock for my hot water? I want to use brass and also include a shut off valve as well.
- Any suggestions on where to mount the 2.8GPM ShureFLO pump? Originally I was thinking bilge area along the stringer but the shower kits say no. Maybe under the observer seat on the floor? This would allow me to run my hoses along the passenger side gunnel.
- Last thing do I need an inline fuse on the hot wire?

Thanks for your info! I'll take pics and post of course!

bbeach
04-11-2007, 11:10 AM
bump............

JKTX21
04-11-2007, 11:41 AM
I was going to post the same thread this week, but I am too lazy and have a 350. Doesn't look like I'll get to put the shower in before the weekend... It would have to be a "perfect storm" of parts from Lowe's.

Here's a post thaty may or may not help. You can always buy too many parts and return them.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/84572.html?1065589943

bbeach
04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
I think I figured out my intake hoses for raw water are 1 1/4 so I'll go on that assumption. I'm thinking Lowe's should have all these fittings. I bought the pump and hoses at an RV store. $64 for the pump.

HAROLD - Do you know what size threaded fitting goes on the block petcock?

I think I'm going to wire to accessories plug on dash (currently unused) so I'll have the factory fuses, no need for an inline.

pram
04-11-2007, 01:01 PM
The fitting on the side of the block should be a 1/4" pipe thread. I am installing a shower myself and that is what I used (I also put a brass ball valve in so that I can shut off the water supply from the hot and the cold right at the source)

VTJC
04-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I installed a H/C Shower in my MC in 04, when it was 5 years old. The kit has a screen/filter on the lines before they go into the pump. When I drew the hot water from the bottom of my block it quickly clogged from rust and other debris in the bottom of the block. So I moved the hot water draw up to the top of the block were my heater draws from. You might run into this issue on your 17 year old block. Good luck with the project, the hot shower is so nice this time of year.

BrianM
04-11-2007, 04:18 PM
I installed the pump for my shower up under the gunnel in the rear. In your case since the whole seat comes out you might want to mount the pump directly to the floor instead of up like I did. Your shower head hose is going to need to come from there and that makes it a pretty logical place. I think it would work just as well on your '90. Then run the hoses for the hot and cold water back through the center and up near the fuel tank. And yes I have an inline fuse.

My thread on the install has pretty good pictures of what I am talking about.. http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11624&highlight=shower+install

bbeach
04-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Well Lowe's was a failing effort to get anything but the Y connector... I need a 1/4 inch brass fitting that goes to a 1/2 barb... And nothing even close to tap my raw water source...

JKTX21
04-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Well Lowe's was a failing effort to get anything but the Y connector... I need a 1/4 inch brass fitting that goes to a 1/2 barb... And nothing even close to tap my raw water source...

I'd try autoparts store for the block fittings and maybe if you have a plumbing supply in town? Please let me know if you can find the stuff, I'm going to make a real push to buy the parts for this weekend!

bbeach
04-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Brian it looks as if your T tap for the raw water connector is a T with another elbow plastic fitting cemented in? Correct?

BrianM
04-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Brian it looks as if your T tap for the raw water connector is a T with another elbow plastic fitting cemented in? Correct?

Yep. Just a plastic T that has a screw in fitting with a barbed end for the hose.

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 05:48 PM

The plumbing department at my local Lowe's is the biggest clusterfark in the history of clusterfarks. It's all about getting lucky finding parts there.

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 05:49 PM
I'd try autoparts store for the block fittings and maybe if you have a plumbing supply in town? Please let me know if you can find the stuff, I'm going to make a real push to buy the parts for this weekend!

You're acting like it's going to be cold or something. 8p

JKTX21
04-11-2007, 06:23 PM
You're acting like it's going to be cold or something. 8p

Yeah dangit, I'm kicking myself in the pants for not doing it earlier in the year. It's been so warm, I thought I could put it off until fall.

It'll give me something to do while it's raining Friday.

bbeach
04-11-2007, 08:55 PM
I know what you mean about Lowe's! No good!

Sodar
04-11-2007, 09:46 PM
I found the HeaterCraft showers for $199 at Boater's Outllet

Link: http://www.boatersoutlet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=767

Jesus_Freak
04-11-2007, 09:56 PM
The plumbing department at my local Lowe's is the biggest clusterfark in the history of clusterfarks. It's all about getting lucky finding parts there.

I need to remember the word "clusterfark" :D . Where did you get that?

Jesus_Freak
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
I found the HeaterCraft showers for $199 at Boater's Outllet

Link: http://www.boatersoutlet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=767

OK, so what is the price of the DIY/dig in the parts bin kit?

Sodar
04-11-2007, 09:58 PM
OK, so what is the price of the DIY/dig in the parts bin kit?

According to that post on WakeWorld it was ~$130...

erkoehler
04-11-2007, 10:01 PM
If you guys put together a _______________
EricKoehler8@hotmail.com

bbeach
04-12-2007, 07:56 AM
I'm the DIY type and so far I have $99.80 in the shurflo pump, 25ft 1/2 hose, shower head (which I'm going to return $14.99) because I purchased a stainless steel garden hose sprayer that I like better. plus another $23 in a few parts... I still need the T to tap in and several other connectors. I'd say when its all said and done you'll be in the $150 and under range...

JohnnyB
04-12-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm interested in the ____________

Jesus_Freak
04-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm the DIY type and so far I have $99.80 in the shurflo pump, 25ft 1/2 hose, shower head (which I'm going to return $14.99) because I purchased a stainless steel garden hose sprayer that I like better. plus another $23 in a few parts... I still need the T to tap in and several other connectors. I'd say when its all said and done you'll be in the $150 and under range...

Agreed. Me also. I was just seeing if the digging/scrounging for parts was worth the time. Lets watch for the ______________

bbeach
04-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Anyone know what size the PVC T Connector needs to be to fit inside my raw water intake hose? I'm thinking 1 inch? 351 on a 90?

Leroy
04-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Here is the thread from my home brew project. Works well. Total cost around $140. I went to HW store and essentially assembled the hoses there so I knew I had all the parts I needed.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9381

JKTX21
04-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Anyone know what size the PVC T Connector needs to be to fit inside my raw water intake hose? I'm thinking 1 inch? 351 on a 90?

Ditto for a raw water intake hose size on a 96 ps 190?

Sodar
04-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Ditto for a raw water intake hose size on a 96 ps 190?

1 1/4"... just replaced mine before I sold my boat so I could remove my Perko FlushPro.

bbeach
04-13-2007, 06:55 AM
okay here's the deal on the T connector... I bought the 1 inch thinking that it would fit inside the 1 1/4 hose. However those measurements aren't exactly accurate. My 1990 190 intake hose measures 1 1/4 inside diameter. So keep that in mind.

I got the whole thing started last night... All the hoses are cut and laid out, pump mounted. I'm returning a whole bunch of stuff to Lowes I don't need and picking up 3 more things I do need and then wualla... Should finish it up.

Anyone have trouble getting the petcock plug out of the block? yeah haven't figured that one out yet! Liquid Wrench maybe...

bbeach
04-16-2007, 12:46 AM
OKay I got everything done, hooked up tonight and when I put the boat in to test it there is NO HOT WATER? I couldn't get the 1/4 brass fittings out of the bottom of the block, they were very rusted. Therefore I tapped my hot water source from the back of the exhaust manifold, however the water coming out of there IS NOT HOT? How can that be? Someone help!

BTW The shower is like a frickin firehose, shoots maybe 25 feet! haha!

88 PS190
04-16-2007, 01:17 AM
the water in the exhaust manifold doesn't pass through the block first. and it gets VERY high volume. because if those exaust manifolds overheat you're going to have a fire.

bbeach
04-16-2007, 08:28 AM
okay thanks... I guess I just always assumed the hot water had to exit through the exhaust... So where does the hot water go?

So my only 2 sources of hot water are the bottom drain plugs??

BrianM
04-16-2007, 09:17 AM
okay thanks... I guess I just always assumed the hot water had to exit through the exhaust... So where does the hot water go?

So my only 2 sources of hot water are the bottom drain plugs??
You should be able to remove a plug from the intake manifold and get hot water there. That is where the temperature sensor is. There should be a couple of other blank plugs on the top of the manifold.

You couldn't get either of the drain petcocks out? PB Blaster. Let it soak and then try again.