PDA

View Full Version : Clincher Gloves

sully
08-03-2004, 10:03 PM
Anbody use these gloves?
Clincher Gloves (http://www.clinchergloves.com/index.htm)
Glovers2 (http://www.skilimited.com/xq/asp/clickpath.1~51~/base_no.3CG-CG/str_base_no.3SW-GG,3CG-CG,4CG-CG,4CO-CG,4CO-SG,4CO-GP,4CO-GPW,4NS-CG,4NS-GC,4NS-GK,4NS-PG,X4NS-PW,X4OB-GP2,4OB-FG,4OB-GK,X3SL-GP,4SL-GY,2SL-GM,4SL-GM,X4SL-GP,/header_title.Gloves%2DGloves/page_name.prod_list_display.asp/search_type.L1~51/ShowImages.yes/sq.0/cont.1/intPgNo.1/qx/product.htm)

Just got these, and going to give them a try in about week.
Waiting for doctor's blessing to start skiing again.

Ben
08-04-2004, 07:14 AM
Sully,
We use them and love them. Huge difference in endurance. My only recent problem is that I have recently started to drop one hand to turn and grabbing the rope with them is a bit harder, seems like one more thing to worry about. I bought a regular pair of gloves and am trying to wean myself over to them, there is a HUGE difference. The clinchers really do a good job of transferring the load to the wrist/arm.
But for the wife & others who aren't as aggressive, they are awesome!

chris.willman
08-04-2004, 10:13 AM
I've been using them for about 10 years - Gone through 6-8 pairs. Awesome, but they take a little getting use to. I mostly like them for Footn' and Slalom, but even use them for Hydrofoil and Boarding. Like Ben mentioned, they are sometimes a little awkward when removing your hands for 360s and such, but you can get used to them. They sure extend the runs - as long as the rest of your body can keep up.

east tx skier
08-04-2004, 11:45 AM
My father in law absolutely loves these gloves. They're good for endurance in my opinion. But apart from his glowing reviews, and the ones above, I'll throw this on the fire ...

1. Like Ben said, if you let go, it's hard to grab the handle again.
2. You need to put them on when the only thing you have left to grab is the handle.
3. It was hard for me (nearly impossible) to hold the rope in your fingertips with these gloves.

The last reason I listed is why I don't use clinchers. The seam on the palmstrap is right on the finger tip. I was recently retaught to not hold the handle in the palm, but rather in the fingers. Since these gloves make it harder for me to do this, I went with Overtons pro skins III.

sully
08-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Thanks for your opinions, sounds like they will work great for
me until I'm a Super Skier like E-Tex. :D

east tx skier
08-06-2004, 10:29 AM
8p Keep propogating that myth. :dance:

Watching me on the course is, uh, er um, entertaining, to say the least. I love to ski, and strive to get better, but it's a good bet that you're skiing circles around me.

I have, however, been the recipient of some good advice. The thing about holding the handle in your fingers instead of your palm has resulted in no blisters in the last year (didn't want you to think I was saying that I had one finger on the rope and was parallel to the water or something).

dwe
08-06-2004, 10:42 PM
I have used them for years, but after trying a good pair of normal gloves, I won't get them again. For me, the glove material is too thin, and I feel it pulls too hard on my wrist. Also you have to put them on last, b/c you have no dexterity. They finally wore out so I'm looking to replace them.

east tx skier
08-07-2004, 12:01 PM
DWE, I can't recommend Overtons pro skins III highly enough. Very straight forward, simple gloves. Check out the pros from the last couple of years. They're ugly and pink, but they're good. Overtons still has the old ones in Large and XL. Gladiator is making them now and I've heard both good reviews and bad about the new ones. Our ski school instructor liked the gladiators, but I've heard some other folks say they wear out more quickly than the old ones did.

dwe
08-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Tx--My friend has a pair that Christy Overton donated to some raffle that he won. I don't know if its the same model, but they were pink, were made of a plasticky wetsuit material, had a kevlar material that covered the palm and fingers, a wrist strap, and a strap that went across the palm between the first finger and thumb. The only writing I remember on them was "kevlar". Are these the ones you're talking about? I really liked his.

David

east tx skier
08-10-2004, 11:01 AM
They sounded right until you said kevlar. The palms and fingers on mine were thick amara padding. They are the ugliest gloves in the world. What'd good about them is (a) they're easy to get on, (b) they fit very snug, don't move around, and don't bunch up. I had/have some HO kevlar gloves that worked well, but were a pain to deal with (I think they were talons). I like the proskins better. Some people shy away from kevlar palms because they think it wears down grip on the handle. I don't ski enough for this to be an issue though. I hear good things about the kevlar liners, but since I'm not having any blister issues as is, I'll stick with what I've got until it fails me.

jimmer2880
08-10-2004, 11:20 AM
I only use Kevlar anymore since I only get about 2-3 weeks out of a pair of proskins....

And - after skiing 3-4 days per average week for 3 years, my handle wore out & I had to replace it. Of course, the rope coming into the handle was also in rough shape from rubbing the ski, so I didnt' care too much.

Now - I'm not one of the "new school" - hold the handle in your fingertips type of skiers... I tried it - it doesn't work for me. I don't get blisters, so maybe I don't need to switch yet.

I use 3/4 finger gloves. Beware of wiping your eyes with full-fingered kevlar gloves :eek:

east tx skier
08-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Whatever works for you. Have you tried the kevlar glove liners?

jimmer2880
08-10-2004, 01:38 PM
I have not since my problem wasn't blisters or grip, rather longevity of the actual glove. Will the liners help out the longevity of the glove also?

east tx skier
08-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Haven't used them, so I don't know. I can't imagine that it would. Sounds like an alternative to taping to me.

Ric
08-23-2004, 11:30 AM
I've used them for a few years and find the same traits mentioned above.
They allow you to feel way stronger and ski longer, but there will inevitably be a pass that you are feeling good about and suddenly your clincher either hangs up when you let go for a turn or fouls you up on the grab for your pull across.
I too am slowly moving away from them, trying some HO phantoms I really like.

east tx skier
08-24-2004, 11:13 AM
I used some HO Talons before I went with the pro skins. The HOs were a great glove, but were a pain to get on. I still keep them in the boat for the occassional gloveless skier.