PDA

View Full Version : hey 205 owners, stereo questions

bikeman
04-11-2007, 03:40 AM
any early to mid 90s 205s with upgraded stereos? Where did you put what? how to get from the port side seat/storage to the radio for routing amps/subs wiring? where did you place the rest of the speakers? I"m partial to something boxed such as niles/jbl or any other outdoor waterproof enclosed speaker but they often run 8ohms which is not terribly efficient for most lower priced car/marine amps. I have a great set of 7x10s but have not found any reasonable waterproof housing for them - suggestions? pics? advice? I have no interest in loud tower speakers - I want good sound in the boat, not to blast the rest of the lake.

Thanks!

puck_11
04-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I have a 95 205, I put in a Kenwood head, and I have 4 Infinity 6.5 speakers in the stock location. I'm currently in the same situation trying to figure out the best place to put an amp and a sub. The wiring is really easy to run around the boat. I changed out all of the speaker wiring, and they have little circles where you can feed the wire through every couple of feet. As I'm going to have more wires running soon, you can just cable tie them to the circle hooks. I'm not sure of the length that is required to run around the boat, but I'm almost positive its under 20 feet, so a 20 foot RCA cable would do you ok if you put the amp under the observer seat. Then running the power and ground wires to the amp is a straight shot from the battery.

Easiest thing to do is just look up underneath the storage pockets on the left and the right side and you'll see the speaker wires running. Take out the back seat and the fuel tank cover and you should have access to everything.

I hope this helps a little.

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
My dealer replaced mine with a JVC head with a removable faceplate. It has an IR remote and will play mp3s off the cd.

Just replaced the speakers with some Infinity 6.5" coaxial speakers. I asked around before replacing the speakers and was told that anything with a treated paper or plastic cone should be fine. The infinitys were inexpensive and sound fine to me.

As for the wiring, like puck mentioned, they are run through the little sections of pvc pipe around the back above the gas tank.

Jesus_Freak
04-11-2007, 01:11 PM
This might be of some value if you have not already seen it. I am not sure how much the 205V differs from the 205. :o

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12783

Diesel
04-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Here are some pics of my 205.

Diesel
04-11-2007, 01:35 PM
12" Comp Kicker

Diesel
04-11-2007, 01:36 PM
6.5 Component Diamond Audio

Jesus_Freak
04-11-2007, 01:55 PM
12" Comp Kicker

Very cool indeed!

Kyle's_prostar205
04-11-2007, 02:00 PM
On my 1997 205 I placed the amp on the kick panel infront of the drivers feet. I used the same radio location for my new Clarion stereo and also used the stock location for the new Polk audio speakers. I do not have a sub yet but I need ideas as to where to put with out comprimising my storage space. Any ideas????? :)

Diesel
04-11-2007, 02:03 PM
I do not have a sub yet but I need ideas as to where to put with out comprimising my storage space. Any ideas????? :)

Impossible. I found placing it in the passenger storage compartment was the best compromise.

SkySkiSpokane
04-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Not neccesarily impossible. I built a free-air board and installed it in the corner by the drivers feet with a 12" Blaupunkt in it since I read that it was great for free-air installs. I surely doesn't pack the hit like a boxed sub in the storage compartment does but I listen to a lot of rock so it does the job quite nicely. I would post pics but my boat is in the shop. When I get it back I will post stuff from my install.

puck_11
04-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Diesel, was that a custom box that you put behind the observer seat? How about the amp, looks like it was a flush install, how did you do that?

chevy08bud
04-11-2007, 02:29 PM
I put mine in the passenger storage comartment too. Didn't really want to eat up storage space, but it's not too bad. The sound is worth it!

SkySkiSpokane
04-12-2007, 06:59 PM
OK,
So I said I would post pics of my space saving stereo install. Here they are. I built everything myself and it really wasn't too hard at all. I only lost leg room on the side and not the actuall length. Which is nice since I am 6'2" and a loss of leg room was unacceptable.

SkySkiSpokane
04-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Sony Xplode Amps

SkySkiSpokane
04-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Dual Batteries

SkySkiSpokane
04-12-2007, 07:03 PM
More Batteries

SkySkiSpokane
04-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Wide angle overview

SkySkiSpokane
04-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Sorry for the lack of tower speaker shots. I just ordered new ones so the tower is empty right now. When the new ones come in, I will finish off with more pics..

puck_11
04-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Very nice SkySkiSpokane, its nice to see that you can still fit plenty in a 205!

SkySkiSpokane
04-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks!! It is a little tight but it all works well.

bikeman
04-13-2007, 03:59 PM
hey if I drop mine off on Monday, can you have it done by Friday : )

this looks fantastic - exactly what I want to do except I want speakers in the boat I think (don't care about music while riding and don't want to offend other boaters). How did you run the wiring from the amps to the head unit? around front or around back? how did you get from the passenger side storage well into the front and same question about getting into the dash? I'm very interested in seeing your efforts on routing the speaker cables as well. Thanks for a great post.

SkySkiSpokane
04-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Inerconnects, Remote, and Sub wiring all went around the front. If you look up under the lip in the bow storage area there is conduit running the whole way around. Makes it very easy. There is a small opening at each end of the bulkheads also so there is no need to drill any holes. I ran the rear speaker wiring around the back the same way. All in all, this has to be one of the easiest boats to wire for anything. Hope this helps. Storage is quite valuble on this boat since there is very little. This was just my way of using it.
Feel free to PM me also.