PDA

View Full Version : Trade check on a used boat.

wakolman
04-10-2007, 11:25 PM
New to the site, and I am going to be a new boat owner this weekend. I have a deposit on an 03 X-7 (85 hrs) that I will be taking to a dealership to have a trade check done on it and assuming that no suprises are found, I plan on completing the transaction.

I will do a lake test and it will tell some of the story as to acceleration/speed, shifting into gear, steering, drive alignment (wobble). I will be able to tell if electronics are working. I can also visually inspect the boat. I was told there hasn't been any fiberglass repairs.

So, am I missing anything that the dealer should check? Engine/trans. are the biggies, assuming there isn't any fiberglass damage.
They will pressure test the engine, inspect prop, rudder, and underbody, go over electronics, and check the hull. :headbang:

Boat is in GA, so it is a long distance deal, but will be worth it. I can post pics when I get it home, thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Great site!
:headbang:

erkoehler
04-10-2007, 11:28 PM
WHOA, where are you from?

6ballsisall
04-10-2007, 11:32 PM
New to the site, and I am going to be a new boat owner this weekend. I have a deposit on an 03 X-7 (85 hrs) that I will be taking to a dealership to have a trade check done on it and assuming that no suprises are found, I plan on completing the transaction.

I will do a lake test and it will tell some of the story as to acceleration/speed, shifting into gear, steering, drive alignment (wobble). I will be able to tell if electronics are working. I can also visually inspect the boat. I was told there hasn't been any fiberglass repairs.

So, am I missing anything that the dealer should check? Engine/trans. are the biggies, assuming there isn't any fiberglass damage.
They will pressure test the engine, inspect prop, rudder, and underbody, go over electronics, and check the hull. :headbang:

Boat is in GA, so it is a long distance deal, but will be worth it. I can post pics when I get it home, thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Great site!

Where at in Georgia? I had an 03 X7 last season. If it's close I could probably go check it out for you depending on timing and location....

on the other hand, Erkle is closer to you and I hear Erkle gives away 100 gallons of gas with each purchase of a boat from him. ;)

Ric
04-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Where at in Georgia? I had an 03 X7 last season. If it's close I could probably go check it out for you depending on timing and location....

on the other hand, Erkle is closer to you and I hear Erkle gives away 100 gallons of gas with each purchase of a boat from him. ;) woah JEFF IS HERE!!!!!

wakolman
04-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Milwaukee. Boat is at Lake Spivey South of Atlanta. I will be heading there 4/12.

bigmac
04-11-2007, 11:07 AM
I can only imagine the PM's that are flying about behind the scenes on this issue...:D

Ric
04-11-2007, 11:14 AM
I can only imagine the PM's that are flying about behind the scenes on this issue...:D Thats what I was thinking

alongwith the fact that we had a jrandol sighting!

Hey, can that dealer also give you an idea on tradein value while you are there? May help you with your deal...

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi Jeff!

As for what to look for, this may give you some ideas.

Link (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47)

wakolman
04-11-2007, 01:01 PM
5 replies, two are helpful and the others are joking around.

My question was asking if I overlooked anything in having a dealer do a trade check?

I couldn't find that boat on boattrader, boats.com, or iboats.com, or any mastercraft dealer websites in a tri-state area, that didn't have more hours and a price of at least $5,000 more. So, what is so funny with saving a bunch of money on a private party purchase?

Thanks E TX skier.

Ric
04-11-2007, 01:03 PM

My question was asking if I overlooked anything in having a dealer do a trade check?

I couldn't find that boat on boattrader, boats.com, or iboats.com, or any mastercraft dealer websites in a tri-state area, that didn't have more hours and a price of at least $5,000 more. So, what is so funny with saving a bunch of money on a private party purchase?

Thanks E TX skier. Easy tiger. In case you haven't read, I am not here for your convenience

Maristar210
04-11-2007, 01:21 PM

Thanks E TX skier.

Make that 6 replies 8p

Be nice and you get results newb :rolleyes:

Leroy
04-11-2007, 01:33 PM
What is a trade check? I'm guessing this is having a dealer check out the boat before you buy it.

Have him pull the codes from the engine. I think you can tell if it has over heated or shut down for any reason.

That is really low hours, should be like new. Service history?

TMCNo1
04-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Easy tiger. In case you haven't read, I am not here for your convenience

I had you pegged for a regular 24/7/365 convenience store type person!
What if I have a question @ 3 in the morning, where will you be? I am so depressed!:D :rolleyes: ;)

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 01:41 PM

By the way, welcome to the forum.

But for those joking around posts, this thread might have fallen so far off the front page that I might not have seen it and been able to respond with some hopefully helpful info. So while they may not have actually answered anything, they did succeed in bumping the thread started last night to the front page this morning so that others could see it.

http://blogsap.wordpress.com/files/2006/10/nbc_the_more_you_know1.jpg

Hey, Ric, since when do you not exist for our respective amusements? ;)

LakePirate
04-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Has the boat been used in Lake Spivey? Where are you taking it to have the dealer test done? We only got one.

Do you plan on water testing it at Lake Spivey?

The reason I ask is the Lake Spivey is on the south side of town and the MC dealer is on the Way north side of town. You are looking at an hour and 1/2 to 2 hours depending on when you are trying to go. Just a heads up.

I have heard stories of people skiing in Lake Spivey, just never done it. I think Piloto2 has.
I always thought it was an electric toon lake.

PendO
04-11-2007, 02:24 PM

If you want we could just threadjack it into oblivion;) And make it a thread about Jrandol coming back, etc ...

Ric
04-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Jeff is back ?

Ric
04-11-2007, 04:12 PM
By the way, welcome to the forum.

Hey, Ric, since when do you not exist for our respective amusements? ;) well it's all fun and games til someone accuses me of being funny:D

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 04:12 PM
I imagined that in Joe Pesci's voice.

Ric
04-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I imagined that in Joe Pesci's voice. OK that made me laugh myassoff ! What a great thread!

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 04:22 PM
If you want we could just threadjack it into oblivion;) And make it a thread about Jrandol coming back, etc ...

I think the polite thing to do, from a web etiquette perspective, would be to do a search on "threadjacks" and see if they have taken place previously. ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
04-11-2007, 04:31 PM

Great site!
Sounds like you have it about right.

Might need impellers for the cooling system and ballast system.

I am going to go out on a limb here, on a touchy subject, but have them make sure the trailer has the "updates" on the brake system.

And see if the updated alternator bracket has been installed, or if you will have to do it later.

chathamsolutions
04-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Hi Jeff!

As for what to look for, this may give you some ideas.

Link (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47)

That's a good list of things to look for.

Here's a couple more for the person taking delivery. Good luck, I'm sure you'll love your MC.

LINK (http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=delivery)

And another:
LINK (http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=usedtips)

And yet another:
LINK (http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=gearlist)

- not manufacturer related, so hope you're all OK wit dat...

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Sounds like you have it about right.

Might need impellers for the cooling system and ballast system.

I am going to go out on a limb here, on a touchy subject, but have them make sure the trailer has the "updates" on the brake system.

And see if the updated alternator bracket has been installed, or if you will have to do it later.

To add to the list of "touchy subjects" try to get that fuel pump tested (if that's possible).

bigmac
04-11-2007, 05:20 PM
To add to the list of "touchy subjects" try to get that fuel pump tested (if that's possible).I'm not sure that would be helpful. About all they could do is check the fuel pressure, but bad in-tank fuel pumps can be an intermittent thing. After dying on my lake due to a bad fuel pump, I took my boat to the dealer. Naturally, it ran great, so he put his kid in it and had him run it around their lake for about 45 minutes before, sure enough, it died again of a bad fuel pump again.

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 05:23 PM
I thought that might be the case, but figured it was worth mentioning. Kind of like my carb. It was always on its best behavior when I took it to the dealership for evaluation. My boat's a show off in the worst way.

wakolman
04-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Has the boat been used in Lake Spivey? Where are you taking it to have the dealer test done? We only got one.

Do you plan on water testing it at Lake Spivey?

The reason I ask is the Lake Spivey is on the south side of town and the MC dealer is on the Way north side of town. You are looking at an hour and 1/2 to 2 hours depending on when you are trying to go. Just a heads up.

I have heard stories of people skiing in Lake Spivey, just never done it. I think Piloto2 has.
I always thought it was an electric toon lake.

trade check-- it is what a dealership does /should do to incoming trades to get them ready to sell. They check it over and report the findings.

It has only been used on Lake Spivey. I am taking it to JOA in Marietta, which is where it was purchased and serviced. (as of 1/1/07 they are no longer a MC dealer, but still have techs who know MC.)

I will test it on Lake Spivey, too.

Thanks to all for comments. Now that I have spent some time on the site, everything that Ric says makes more sense.

Leroy
04-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Have them certify the hull hasn't been worked on and that there hasn't any damage.

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Now that I have spent some time on the site, everything that Ric says makes more sense.

You may be one step ahead of the rest of us then. ;)

Sodar
04-11-2007, 11:02 PM
You may be one step ahead of the rest of us then. ;)

Ain't that the truth!!

Ric
04-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks to all for comments. Now that I have spent some time on the site, everything that Ric says makes more sense. I prefer to be considered sensibly nonsensical

wakolman
04-17-2007, 09:51 PM
An update on the x-7: I made the trip but didn't buy the boat. Why? Well, lets just say the interior didn't reflect the hours nor did it look "mint" like I was told over the phone. The owner might have had a bit too much money to get the boat detailed once a year, or the hour meter was tampered with if that is even possible, or it just plain was neglected. There was black mold on the underside of the rear cushions, stuck in most of the stitching, and in the carpet corners. The ballast under the rear bench had not been up off the floor in a looooong time, so there was mold under that too. The decals were beat up more than the "one teenie scratch" that I was told. More like 3 6" rub marks, on one, and a few tears on the other. 1/2 million worth of cars in the driveway, 15 million for the house on a 9 acre peninsula.
Zero spent on keeping the boat looking nice.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Sorry to hear the trip was a bust.....keep your eyes out and something will turn up eventually.

SteveO
04-17-2007, 10:29 PM
If you do find another some distance from your home, you can always use this board to find someone close to the boat to take a digital camera and give you their honest opinion. In case you have not notice, there is NO shortage of opinions around these parts.

wakolman
04-18-2007, 12:06 AM
I had a number of pics and it didn't show up on them. I had the check already made out, so I figured it would be just a matter of testing the boat and buying it.

6ballsisall
04-18-2007, 12:09 AM
I had a number of pics and it didn't show up on them. I had the check already made out, so I figured it would be just a matter of testing the boat and buying it.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. There will always be another deal. Hook up with Erk, MYMC, or Baws. They always know of incoming trades or deals to be had......

erkoehler
04-18-2007, 12:10 AM
I still have the 2005 and 2006 ProStar 197's instock. I'd also work w/ you on a 06 x7 if your interested.

You should come down for some test drives :)

Ric
04-18-2007, 08:58 AM
bummer olman

with an owner like that, maybe a lowball offer could have worked in your favor?