PDA

View Full Version : What is packing material under rotor?

workless
04-10-2007, 08:08 PM
:confused: Well I went and dun-it. I'm replacing the distributor cap and rotor (along with the plugs - wires are in great shape) on my 1992 PS 205 and when I pulled the rotor off the packing material popped out and I can't find it. I want to replace it with new "packing" material - but what is it? Same packing that goes in the drive shaft? duh

88 PS190
04-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Try calling up the local NAPA they should have the right stuff.

Packing for the shaft is a rope, this is more like a felt circle that you oil a bit.

TMCNo1
04-10-2007, 08:40 PM
:confused: Well I went and dun-it. I'm replacing the distributor cap and rotor (along with the plugs - wires are in great shape) on my 1992 PS 205 and when I pulled the rotor off the packing material popped out and I can't find it. I want to replace it with new "packing" material - but what is it? Same packing that goes in the drive shaft? duh
I tried to answer the question in the electrical thread, how many more places have you asked the question.

TX.X-30 fan
04-10-2007, 09:01 PM
I tried to answer the question in the electrical thread, how many more places have you asked the question.

I got a call on my cell phone asking the same thing. :confused: :D

Slinkyredfoot
04-10-2007, 09:30 PM
What did I miss here anyway, I was out rotating the air in my trailer tires.....:D

TX.X-30 fan
04-10-2007, 09:36 PM
What did I miss here anyway, I was out rotating the air in my trailer tires.....:D

Your the man Slinky still have to rotate my air (HOT). :D

88 PS190
04-10-2007, 10:40 PM
The cam rubs on the block there, so that felt keeps the point block from wearing by having oil to keep the cam lubed.

Modern application would be to silicon the cam, and then you wouldn't need the thing to be oiled.

TMCNo1
04-11-2007, 08:37 AM
The cam rubs on the block there, so that felt keeps the point block from wearing by having oil to keep the cam lubed.

Modern application would be to silicon the cam, and then you wouldn't need the thing to be oiled.

Only with points is the cam used. There is no cam action with the electronic ignition as the rotor shaft with the cam is replaced by the triggerwheel that the rotor sits on and the points are replaced by the electronic module. There is a oiled felt piece in the kit to be installed for the electric ignition also.

88 PS190
04-11-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't see where he says he doesn't have points?

I only know the purpose readily because the 49 chevy burnt a point due to underlubrication on sunday.

TMCNo1
04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't see where he says he doesn't have points?

I only know the purpose readily because the 49 chevy burnt a point due to underlubrication on sunday.

He also didn't say he was replacing the points, just cap and rotor button, so everything is now covered. I don't think I have ever bought a points set that did'nt come with a little tube of lube for the cam and points follower.

workless
04-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Yea, I do have an HEI. So no points/condensor. Sorry, I didn't know if that thread would get responded to, last response was a little old.
Thanks