PDA

View Full Version : Almost Forgot to tell you guys:

endl
04-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Man I cannot believe I forgot to tell you guys about this: Two weeks ago the owner gets a frantic call from his Ex-Wife, and I hear him say your down the street right at Willow Beach right? He bolts out the door and next thing I know he calls me and says you gotta come down to Willow Beach my Ex-Wife's Husbank has run his new Malibu into a rock jetty/dike in the River and the boat is taking on water. So I grab my John Boat which I keep at the office and run down to the river thinking I can help and when I get there they have the Malibu almost back to the boat ramp and its sitting very low in the water and barely moving.......water is coming out bildge.....they aim it on the trailer.....I walk down the ramp look into the bottom of the boat and there is at leat a foot of water......they start pulling it up the ramp and water is coming out of the bottom in a stream the size of a five gallon bucket......The boat gets on level ground and HOOOOLY Sheeeeeeout.....They are more holes in the bottom of this boat that a dip net...... all three strake fins are gone with a hole for each missing gel coat and a huge hole where the Strut used to mount that a five gallon bucket could fit through.....the shaft had ripped a hole 3 feet forward toward the engine what a messssssss. Prop looked like a mangled tin can and the strut was not much better and it was upside down. It was amazing that the boat still would propell itself toward the bank......

After seeing the trouble with beaching boats we have lately and seeing this it will make me think twice about where I run my boat even when I know the area....

Turns out this guy had no experience on the river and did not know there were rock jetties/dikes/wing dams ect that keep the watter flow in the middle. Scary think was he had wife and young child in the boat with him. Luckily nobody was injured.

jrcarte78
04-10-2007, 03:43 PM
D@mn! That's crazy. I bet it was a sight to see though. Good thing no one was hurt. What river was it? Arkansas?

ProTour X9
04-10-2007, 03:45 PM
What a story!! Glad no one was hurt and that it wasn't a MC.

endl
04-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Yes Arkansas River in Little Rock. Yeah I had never seen a boat messed up this bad run onto ground. Those dikes have huge rocks/bolders..... basically like hitting concrete I would guess...

bigmac
04-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Damn...you keep your John boat at the office but not a digital camera?;)

I'm sorry to hear about the dead Malibu. I always hate to hear about bad things happening to nice boats.

LakePirate
04-10-2007, 05:44 PM
I so thought this was a joke.

endl
04-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Yes funny about the John boat at the Office. My wife does not want it sitting at the house.......I so wanted to take pictures but this guy just had one of the worst days of his life and I would have felt really bad snapping a bunch of pics of his dead boat.....Especially since it was my boss's ex-wife and she was crying ect....I was thinking the whole time I gotta get pics of this somehow and show the MC guys...

erkoehler
04-10-2007, 05:55 PM
WOW, that's a situation I never want to be in......but, you should have taken pics!

Ryan
04-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Damn...you keep your John boat at the office but not a digital camera?;)

I'm sorry to hear about the dead Malibu. I always hate to hear about bad things happening to nice boats.

Seriously!

This ranks way high on my list of boating fears, part to have the sorrow of a damaged boat. But, the boat is insured and is replaceable I worry for what can happen to occupants with such a sudden stop. Were they hurt at all, or did the boat slide accross the top, tearing off the running gear etc...?

endl
04-10-2007, 06:10 PM
no one was hurt at all, I think they hit and slid across this thing, story gets better, insurance guy came by our office trying to ask questions several days later.....Now we are wondering if the guy had even insured it before he took it our for the maiden voyge

milkmania
04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
next time you take the camera out, set it to continuous mode, let it hang from your neck on the strap, and hold down the button........

works great at party cove too:o

JKTX21
04-10-2007, 10:49 PM
That stinks. I didn't have insurance when I pulled away from the dealer, but I didn't take it out until I did.

Glad everyone is okay. Hell I'm on the edge of my seat when I'm WOT across the water that I know! I can't imagine what I'd be like in a new boat.

Ryan27r
04-11-2007, 12:13 AM
That stinks. I didn't have insurance when I pulled away from the dealer, but I didn't take it out until I did.

Glad everyone is okay. Hell I'm on the edge of my seat when I'm WOT across the water that I know! I can't imagine what I'd be like in a new boat.
you have 30 days to tell you insurance company. During the 30 it goes under your home owners atleast if you had an exsisting policy.

beatle78
04-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Actually, I'de like to see the same thing happen to a MC to see how it holds up in comparison to the BU. :)

Just not my MC

Ric
04-11-2007, 10:18 AM
am I the only one to keep opening this thread hoping to see pics?

Maristar210
04-11-2007, 11:20 AM
am I the only one to keep opening this thread hoping to see pics?

Only reason I clicked on it.

If there are no pics then delete the sucka!!

endl
04-11-2007, 12:24 PM

I know, I know...I just could not start snapping pictures, his wife was crying holding the baby, some old man from the COE office at the ramp was chewing his arse for not nowing the river....ect ect. Water was pouring out of the boat....

Diesel
04-11-2007, 12:26 PM

I'll bet in never even happened..................this guy made the whole thing up. :D

We all know malibu makes thier boat so strong they can take on any submerged object.

I wonder if he had his wedge down? A friend of a friend's ex hubsband's ex hit a submerged weed bed with the wedge down and it split the boat in half. I saw the pics on WW.

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 12:29 PM
...some old man from the COE office at the ramp was chewing his arse for not nowing the river....ect ect. Water was pouring out of the boat....

I'd be asking the old man from the C.O.E. why something like that wasn't marked.

endl
04-11-2007, 12:38 PM
I'd be asking the old man from the C.O.E. why something like that wasn't marked.
Wing Dams/Dikes ect are not marked, your supposed to know the river....They are on the TOPO maps but there are so many they dont have floating buoys on them. I think they keep the river in the "middle" so to speak help with erosion ect. Arkansas river gets pretty big where we are and undertow and current are real dangerous....

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Wing Dams/Dikes ect are not marked, you're supposed to know the river....They are on the TOPO maps but there are so many they dont have floating buoys on them. I think they keep the river in the "middle" so to speak help with erosion ect. Arkansas river gets pretty big where we are and undertow and current are real dangerous....

So the only way to figure it out short of talking to someone is to try to extrapolate it from a topo map. Man, I'd be doomed if that's all they're offering so I can educate myself. I'm no good with topo maps.

I'm all for asking around to try to get a river figured out before putting the boat in it. And if I hit something, I understand it's my fault. But if I'd just hit something that solid that was submerged, yet unmarked (and there are too many to mark), I wouldn't be taking any guff from the COE about it.

There's plenty of submerged objects (mostly stumps) where I boat. They have pilings all over the place to keep people away from this stuff (we call them boat roads). Just saying, I'm glad they're marked where I boat.

Diesel
04-11-2007, 01:06 PM
So the only way to figure it out short of talking to someone is to try to extrapolate it from a topo map. Man, I'd be doomed if that's all they're offering so I can educate myself. I'm no good with topo maps.

I'm all for asking around to try to get a river figured out before putting the boat in it. And if I hit something, I understand it's my fault. But if I'd just hit something that solid that was submerged, yet unmarked (and there are too many to mark), I wouldn't be taking any guff from the COE about it.

There's plenty of submerged objects (mostly stumps) where I boat. They have pilings all over the place to keep people away from this stuff (we call them boat roads). Just saying, I'm glad they're marked where I boat.

If you know what you are doing you can read the surface of the flowing water to identify submerged objects, shallows, stumps, etc.

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 02:01 PM
If you know what you are doing you can read the surface of the flowing water to identify submerged objects, shallows, stumps, etc.

Okay, I'll fess up and say I don't know what I'm doing in that regard.

I'm pretty observant, and can spot things like sandbars (which, around here, tend to be marked when the water's low). But I've got to watch my rider, too. And then there's the kid, etc. (I didn't say stereo :)). I still think that, for things like this, they could spend a few bucks per on marker buoys and save everyone, themselves included, some headaches (or worse). Just my opinion.

JKTX21
04-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Okay, I'll fess up and say I don't know what I'm doing in that regard.

I'm pretty observant, and can spot things like sandbars (which, around here, tend to be marked when the water's low). But I've got to watch my rider, too. And then there's the kid, etc. (I didn't say stereo :)). I still think that, for things like this, they could spend a few bucks per on marker buoys and save everyone, themselves included, some headaches (or worse). Just my opinion.

I have to agree, I don't think looking at the surface is the end all. I can "see" the channel about half of the time, but I still watch the geographic features of the shoreline to assess which part of the river I am in.

You gotta keep your head on a swivel people! :D

east tx skier
04-11-2007, 02:30 PM
I have to agree, I don't think looking at the surface is the end all. I can "see" the channel about half of the time, but I still watch the geographic features of the shoreline to assess which part of the river I am in.

You gotta keep your head on a swivel people! :D

With that said, I'll need some instruction before Friday afternoon as to where not to be on the river. :)

rstitson
04-11-2007, 02:40 PM
This place is great for learning. I live in the northeast and have never heard of submerged wing dams and dikes on a river. If I ever boat in southern rivers, I will have at least a clue what to ask for, given this.

endl
04-11-2007, 02:59 PM
I just got on the COE website and they are actually called navigation maps and they show all structures in the river.
http://www.swt.usace.army.mil/navigation/Navigation%20Charts%202003/S57FILL.pdf

BearX1
04-11-2007, 09:35 PM
I can appreciate the situation, and am glad nobody was hurt. This boating business is expensive . . . A helicopter rescue would have been cool ;)

sand2snow22
04-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Anybody see the new wakeboard film, "The Truth". In the extras they are on a houseboat, (I'd guess Lake Powell or Havasu) the houseboat is close to shore, then the camera pans around and there is a Bu completely underwater, tower and all. They don't say how it got under water, but then they show the Bu on the shore and folks scrambling to get the water out!!