PDA

View Full Version : House isn't fetching the right price!

slink976
04-10-2007, 02:37 PM
So my house is getting offers but not what I need! So what do I do, A complete kithen remodel!!! Went out last night and bought all new cabinets from home depot. Used there card 6 months no finance charges plus 200 off on my first purchase!

2215.00 for cabinets.
200.00 off
Grand total 1998.00 !!!!!!!!

I also put a new kitchen sink on my cart and they did not ring it up! 179.00 to the plus side! Now I know some of you are saying that is just wrong, but on my last house I did a complete remodel of my Kitchen and they screwed up my conter tops soooooooo I say it is KARMA!

I will keep you all posted via this thread with pics and all.

Lee

JKTX21
04-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Good luck man, when are you moving to Texas? Feels like two Christmas' ago you were supposed to be moving. You are going to put HD out of business with your procurement policy.

shepherd
04-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Good luck Slink. I've been there and believe our new kitchen really helped us sell our house. I hope it pays off for you. Are you replacing appliances and countertop?

slink976
04-10-2007, 02:52 PM
lol, Yeah was hoping to be out there already. Got to sell this house. So I am taking a chapter out of the "Flip this House" Book

slink976
04-10-2007, 02:54 PM
I am going to be replacing the counter tops cabinets microwave. The fridge and stove are good looking so I am going to keep those. Going to put in Travertine flooring

Leroy
04-10-2007, 03:11 PM
What are they saying with the offers? Normally people justify why they lower the offer to make it more credible.

sanjuan23
04-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Well I hope it all pans out I figured you were on your way since I had'nt seen you around in a while. Best of luck

Harvey
04-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I wondered what was holding up your move Slink. Now I know.

I am actually going to put new countertops and a new oven in my kitchen in the next couple months for a similar reason. I am having trouble deciding between granite and corian (paging Rod). Anyone know which one will hold up better? And which one will increase the resale value more?

rodltg2
04-10-2007, 03:18 PM
traveritine floors is good, make sure you do 18". also put in granite countertops. its what most people want . use a neutral color like santa cecelia, new venetian gold, or giallo veneziano.

good luck

harvey corian bad idea, its totally 80's . it will actually hurt your resale.

Ric
04-10-2007, 03:19 PM
So my house is getting offers but not what I need! So what do I do, A complete kithen remodel!!! Went out last night and bought all new cabinets from home depot. Used there card 6 months no finance charges plus 200 off on my first purchase!

2215.00 for cabinets.
200.00 off
Grand total 1998.00 !!!!!!!!

I also put a new kitchen sink on my cart and they did not ring it up! 179.00 to the plus side! Now I know some of you are saying that is just wrong, but on my last house I did a complete remodel of my Kitchen and they screwed up my conter tops soooooooo I say it is KARMA!

I will keep you all posted via this thread with pics and all.

Lee So what was the bottom line cost and would it have made sense to lower the selling price by that amount to make it sell?? Or was most of it your own sweat that made it more affordable to do?

jraben8
04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Slink,

Have you figured out where you're going to end up around here?

slink976
04-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Total cost for this venture will stay in at 3500.00. Peeps are offering about 555K but want 10k for closing. Everyone that has come through comments that the kitchen is tiny, which it is but we use the kitchen on the patio more then the one in the house so fo us it was no big deal. Not going to do the granite due to the cost I only have about 1,500 left for this project. I was thinking of maybe doing a granite tile that is a affordable price but when you add in all the bull noses and corner pieces it jumps up quick. On my last house I did the Granite tile and it looked good and I might mention that I sold the house before I even put it on the market!!! Rod any hooks ups?

slink976
04-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Slink,

Have you figured out where you're going to end up around here?

I am looking in the Allen area due to there schools, affordability.

And it's close to a few lakes.

east tx skier
04-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Total cost for this venture will stay in at 3500.00. Peeps are offering about 555K but want 10k for closing. Everyone that has come through comments that the kitchen is tiny, which it is but we use the kitchen on the patio more then the one in the house so fo us it was no big deal. Not going to do the granite due to the cost I only have about 1,500 left for this project. I was thinking of maybe doing a granite tile that is a affordable price but when you add in all the bull noses and corner pieces it jumps up quick. On my last house I did the Granite tile and it looked good and I might mention that I sold the house before I even put it on the market!!! Rod any hooks ups?

Have you looked into remnant pieces of granite? If it's small that could be an option.

rodltg2
04-10-2007, 03:41 PM
sorry i dont know anyone in socal. if you were in nor cal i could hook you up. especailly if the kitchen is small i could use left overs nd do it for a good deal.

endl
04-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Split it with them be done, flip you house, take the cabinets back.

slink976
04-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Split it with them be done, flip you house, take the cabinets back.

i am going to do all the work, so 3500.00 is not that bad. Then I am jumping the listing price to 560-610. So in my mind it will be well worth it!

endl
04-10-2007, 03:52 PM
definately worth it. I just did not know what the market was like. I know its a little slower all over than it was. My wife just started back selling real estate after a 9 year break (my son) market is good where we are just a little slower than it has been.

Ric
04-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Time for some pics!!!

slink976
04-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Same this way. Our house is very unique though, view back yard to die for. This will make the whole house rock! We have been getting an offer about every month but like I said they're coming up just a little short. With the new kithen we'll be able(this is what I am telling myself) to get 570+. So I think the investment will pay off.

slink976
04-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Time for some pics!!!

Funny you should say something, I am looking for my camera right now.

Monte
04-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Time for some pics!!!

New Kitchen fetish?8p

BrianM
04-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Did you rearrange the kitchen or just change the cabinets? If you just changed them out you have not addressed the main problem of a small kitchen. Seeing a $20k+ return on your $3,500 investment in Home Depot cabinets seems a little far fetched. Especially since you are not putting in granite. Obviously the market is different but even cutting the prices in half (what my market is) this would not make sense.

I am a broker and see this everyday. The market is slowing substantially and although the updated cabinets may help on the marketing time I don't see it making the huge difference in your asking price.

slink976
04-10-2007, 04:32 PM
I am redoing the kitchen.

There is a door that I am closing up and also a big "Hole" that I am closing to create more counter space/cabinet space.

BrianM
04-10-2007, 04:34 PM
I am redoing the kitchen.

There is a door that I am closing up and also a big "Hole" that I am closing to create more counter space/cabinet space.

Then that can make a big difference. It sounded like you were just swapping cabinets. Good luck!

chevy08bud
04-10-2007, 04:40 PM
I wondered what was holding up your move Slink. Now I know.

I am actually going to put new countertops and a new oven in my kitchen in the next couple months for a similar reason. I am having trouble deciding between granite and corian (paging Rod). Anyone know which one will hold up better? And which one will increase the resale value more?

Definately go with granite. It will look the best for the longest period of time and will really help with resale if the time comes! Also, you can't melt or burn granite, I have seen come Corion damage but it is some pretty durable stuff.

jeverett
04-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Did you rearrange the kitchen or just change the cabinets? If you just changed them out you have not addressed the main problem of a small kitchen. Seeing a $20k+ return on your $3,500 investment in Home Depot cabinets seems a little far fetched. Especially since you are not putting in granite. Obviously the market is different but even cutting the prices in half (what my market is) this would not make sense.

I am a broker and see this everyday. The market is slowing substantially and although the updated cabinets may help on the marketing time I don't see it making the huge difference in your asking price.

Though I do agree with Brian here that a 20K turn on $3,500 is a bit far fetched I have sold homes in So Cal before I escaped to the NW and I have to say that conventional wisdom does not apply there. I was just checkin out some homes in Irvine in Jan. entry level in my opinion for $950,000 seems crazy but they are selling, and $1.3M for somethin a little nicer.

If you can swing the granite tile at all I would go for it.

slink976
04-10-2007, 04:48 PM
So here are some pics

This one is one of the area's that I am going to close up. I will be putting in a half wall to accomedate base cabinets for pots and pans. on top will be a counter top that extends out to make a bar for seating and double as a pass through.

I am standing taking this pic from the dining room.

endl
04-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Show some pics so we can see what 600k gets us in SoCo......This is just a house you were flipping right....

slink976
04-10-2007, 04:52 PM
This is a door way that I am going to close and create a U shape for the kithen. This will host the four corner cabinets and add tons of counter space.

All current cabs will be removed all walls will be gutted to put in green board.

trickskier
04-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Good Luck Slink............According to everyone I've talked to in the real estate business it's a buyers market right now.

slink976
04-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Show some pics so we can see what 600k gets us in SoCo......This is just a house you were flipping right....

No, this is where I live. I am just going to flip the kitchen to get a better price.

here is the listing, I just had the agent drop the price to get more people interested so don't mind that......
http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?snum=4&locallnk=yes&frm=byzip&mnbed=4&mnbath=2&mnprice=500000&mxprice=600000&js=off&pgnum=1&fid=so&stype=&mnsqft=&mls=xmls&areaid=92021&poe=realtor&zp=92021&sbint=&vtsort=&sorttype=&typ=1&x=78&y=5&sid=085B177B58F5C&snumxlid=1074625699&lnksrc=00002

O-yeah and the grass is green now!

JKTX21
04-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Man, you will be living in a LARGE house if you spend that kind of coin around here.

I'm glad I live in Texas, I'd never be able to afford to live like I do anywhere else.

jraben8
04-10-2007, 05:07 PM
I am looking in the Allen area due to there schools, affordability.

And it's close to a few lakes.

pm sent....

endl
04-10-2007, 05:11 PM
pm sent....
You moving for a job....or moving then finding a job. We get a ton of people out of North Texas on Ouachita on the weekends....Its about a 5 hour drive but they all say its worth the drive for the lake.

slink976
04-10-2007, 05:14 PM
I am moving for my job. My wife and I both work for EDS and we are transferring to the Plano office.

Archimedes
04-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Man, you will be living in a LARGE house if you spend that kind of coin around here.

I'm glad I live in Texas, I'd never be able to afford to live like I do anywhere else.

To some extent that's true, but remember salaries are also higher in the high cost areas of California, and if you put the incremental salary directly into your mortgage payment, you can afford a lot more house here. Someone who can afford a $600,000 house in California can't necessarily afford one in Texas. Houses in the ghetto of East Palo Alto sell for over $400k here.

endl
04-10-2007, 05:31 PM
I will bite "EDS"?

slink976
04-10-2007, 05:34 PM
bite? and Arch my wife and I are keeping our same salaries! so it is a win win

endl
04-10-2007, 05:43 PM
bite? and Arch my wife and I are keeping our same salaries! so it is a win win
What does it mean "EDS"

sanjuan23
04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I will bite "EDS"?

Electronic Data Systems....

You know Perot...

Ric
04-10-2007, 05:49 PM

You know Perot... ahhhhh yes, the little general

endl
04-10-2007, 05:58 PM

You know Perot...
smart people....I cannont hang around them. Thats why I am in Ar-Kansas.....

Ryan
04-10-2007, 06:01 PM

You know Perot...

And all this time I thought he was being paid for EDS research...you know for the co. that makes the little blue pill. :D

slink976
04-10-2007, 06:03 PM
And all this time I thought you were being paid for EDS research...you know for the co. that makes the little blue pill. :D

Now that some funny shyt!

#47of100TeamMC
04-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Looks like a nice pad slink. i like the outdoor bar-b-que. One thought I had just from looking at the photos... Would it be possible to bump ou the wall into the dining area a little bit? a few feet or so? My feeling is that if you close off the narrow doorway to make the "U" shape. That the kitchen will feel even smaller than it currently is. Especially if you add the half wall too. it will make it Longer and more narrow feeling. If you can spare a few feet in the dining area, you could open it up a bit. Looks like you might have trouble walking around the Range, Dishwasher and Fridge door if either one are open cuz it's soo narrow. If you can walk by them more easily when either are open that would make it a bit more roomy. :twocents:

slink976
04-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Looks like a nice pad slink. i like the outdoor bar-b-que. One thought I had just from looking at the photos... Would it be possible to bump ou the wall into the dining area a little bit? a few feet or so? My feeling is that if you close off the narrow doorway to make the "U" shape. That the kitchen will feel even smaller than it currently is. Especially if you add the half wall too. it will make it Longer and more narrow feeling. If you can spare a few feet in the dining area, you could open it up a bit. Looks like you might have trouble walking around the Range, Dishwasher and Fridge door if either one are open cuz it's soo narrow. If you can walk by them more easily when either are open that would make it a bit more roomy. :twocents:

Yeah I thought that too however that wall is one of those non movable walls :( I could move it but the costs would soar....

Ric
04-10-2007, 07:30 PM
To some extent that's true, but remember salaries are also higher in the high cost areas of California, and if you put the incremental salary directly into your mortgage payment, you can afford a lot more house here. Someone who can afford a $600,000 house in California can't necessarily afford one in Texas. Houses in the ghetto of East Palo Alto sell for over $400k here. I am confused

Let's say joe makes 200k a year and affords a 250k house in Texas

Does that mean that Joe can afford a 600k house in Cali?

Does it mean that Joe can make 600k doing the same job he does for 200 in Texas?

Just kinda wondering if the whole thing works out exponentially or what?

He pays no state income tax on his 200k in Texas but he pays 3% per year in real estate taxes on his abode...

rodltg2
04-10-2007, 07:50 PM
that outdoor kitchen is in need of granite too!!! look how good this one i recently did looks. plus the ski lake in the back yard ... nice bonus!

nuckinfutz
04-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Good Luck Slink............According to everyone I've talked to in the real estate business it's a buyers market right now.

I just moved down to SoCal again, looking around, Cali is in there 7 year cycle on the downward slope. Im not a real estate agent, but know many and all agree that with all the forclosures going on right now its tough to sell a house. Alot of people that have signed on a intrest only or refi's are getting hit hard. I know I will rent for the next year or 2 before I buy.

I wish you the best Slink, Im sure you will sell and hopefully soon enough to get what you out of it.

slink976
04-10-2007, 08:39 PM
I just moved down to SoCal again, looking around, Cali is in there 7 year cycle on the downward slope. Im not a real estate agent, but know many and all agree that with all the forclosures going on right now its tough to sell a house. Alot of people that have signed on a intrest only or refi's are getting hit hard. I know I will rent for the next year or 2 before I buy.

I wish you the best Slink, Im sure you will sell and hopefully soon enough to get what you out of it.

I have to humbly disagree. While the market is slow I was still getting about 5-10 people a week to come out and look at my place. I also recieved 3 offers just not what I needed. Though I keep hearing about this realestate slow down it was not very evident at my place???

I do agree that the foreclosures are happening however in socal it will take you one hell of a good lawyer and agent to get one of those! They are mostly picked up the day they are foreclosed on and the flippers have them on the market withing hours!

slink976
04-10-2007, 08:40 PM
BTW going boarding this weekend if you want on Sunday you can come out, let me know PM if your down.

Archimedes
04-10-2007, 08:58 PM
I am confused

Let's say joe makes 200k a year and affords a 250k house in Texas

Does that mean that Joe can afford a 600k house in Cali?

Does it mean that Joe can make 600k doing the same job he does for 200 in Texas?

Just kinda wondering if the whole thing works out exponentially or what?

He pays no state income tax on his 200k in Texas but he pays 3% per year in real estate taxes on his abode...

Your math is wrong. You don't need three times the income because you're not tripling all your living expenses - only the mortgage payment. You only need enough incremental income to pay for the incremental mortgage payment.

Here's the math. Joe makes $125k in Texas. And let's say that based on that, he can afford a $250,000 house with a $200,000 mortgage and a monthly payment of $1,200 (6%,30 year fixed). Annual property tax of 3.00%, or $7,500.

Now Joe moves to California and gets a salary 20-40% higher than he had in Texas, say $150-175k. He buys a $600,000 home, with a $550,000 mortgage and a monthly payment of $3,300. Annual property tax of 1.2% or $7,200, so that's a wash. His annual mortgage payments are $25,200 more than in Texas, which are less than his salary increase. Plus since Joe is now heating and cooling 1,800 square feet of single story home in a temperate climate vs. a 3,500 square foot multi level box on the surface of the sun, his utility bills are lower. Which is good, because he'll have about $5-7k of state income tax to pay and will pay about 20% more for his gasoline.

Archimedes
04-10-2007, 09:02 PM
I have to humbly disagree. While the market is slow I was still getting about 5-10 people a week to come out and look at my place. I also recieved 3 offers just not what I needed. Though I keep hearing about this realestate slow down it was not very evident at my place???

Slink's right. There has been no cratering of the real estate market in California. There are still multiple offers over asking prices in the hot areas and even in the slower areas, sale prices are still way above what they were a couple of years ago. There's still way too much pent up demand in the marketplace and the economy is still doing very well in California.

JKTX21
04-10-2007, 09:17 PM
To some extent that's true, but remember salaries are also higher in the high cost areas of California, and if you put the incremental salary directly into your mortgage payment, you can afford a lot more house here. Someone who can afford a $600,000 house in California can't necessarily afford one in Texas. Houses in the ghetto of East Palo Alto sell for over $400k here.

My salary would have to be "incrementin'" like a mofo in order to afford a $600K anywhere!

Monte
04-10-2007, 09:32 PM
My salary would have to be "incrementin'" like a mofo in order to afford a $600K anywhere!

Now that is funny:purplaugh .... I am in your boat...........:)

TMCNo1
04-10-2007, 09:32 PM
I am moving for my job. My wife and I both work for EDS and we are transferring to the Plano office.

Have you talked to G-man, he lives in Plano, TX?

sand2snow22
04-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Slight threadjack on.....

Our kitchen last week....
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/DSC03458.jpg

Hard to get the boat out of the garage on Friday when it was 80 degrees :mad:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/DSC03463.jpg

Rough electrical almost complete, our kitchen is so small, filled in a window where the range and hood are going to go.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/DSC03465.jpg

Threadjack over.......

Monte
04-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Slight threadjack on.....

Our kitchen last week....
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/DSC03458.jpg

Hard to get the boat out of the garage on Friday when it was 80 degrees :mad:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/DSC03463.jpg

Rough electrical almost complete, our kitchen is so small, filled in a window where the range and hood are going to go.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/DSC03465.jpg

Threadjack over.......

Threadjack continued... Schwew been there done that... No fun... Good luck with that..

SteveO
04-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Lee,

Good luck on the sale, and get that X2 to big D. We are waiting....

Ric
04-11-2007, 12:01 AM
so the 20 -40 percent increase in income for the move to sunny cali is all spent on well... less ?

Your math is wrong. You don't need three times the income because you're not tripling all your living expenses - only the mortgage payment. You only need enough incremental income to pay for the incremental mortgage payment.

Here's the math. Joe makes $125k in Texas. And let's say that based on that, he can afford a $250,000 house with a $200,000 mortgage and a monthly payment of $1,200 (6%,30 year fixed). Annual property tax of 3.00%, or $7,500.

Now Joe moves to California and gets a salary 20-40% higher than he had in Texas, say $150-175k. He buys a $600,000 home, with a $550,000 mortgage and a monthly payment of $3,300. Annual property tax of 1.2% or $7,200, so that's a wash. His annual mortgage payments are $25,200 more than in Texas, which are less than his salary increase. Plus since Joe is now heating and cooling 1,800 square feet of single story home in a temperate climate vs. a 3,500 square foot multi level box on the surface of the sun, his utility bills are lower. Which is good, because he'll have about $5-7k of state income tax to pay and will pay about 20% more for his gasoline.

Archimedes
04-11-2007, 12:09 AM
so the 20 -40 percent increase in income for the move to sunny cali is all spent on well... less ?

Sometimes less is more...

Ryan
04-11-2007, 02:12 AM

COL - Not a ton, but worth mentioning
Groceries - fruits and vegies are cheaper in CA, most other groceries are priced higher - I should know
Entertainment - ex: movie, theater, or sports tickets
Insurance - I will be saving a lot of money in every kind of insurance I can think of in OH vs CA. Same case for TX. All the TX guys on here know I've seriously shopped the state for jobs and homes
Qty of lakes - the gas, wear and tear to get to 'the river', or replace parts for/after salt water use

The math works if you don't mind going from a 3 yr old 4500sqft TX house to 1800 sqft CA house built in '64. The math also works if you're at or above the $600k level - ok maybe $400k if you go to Murrietta, Molesto, Bakersfiled etc...

The math doesn't work if you're just getting started in life. I know very few people who were renting any time after mid 2001 and have been able to buy a home.

I'm sure going to miss the weather though...:cool:

Ryan
04-11-2007, 02:15 AM

My Co.'s COLA doesn't even crack 20% - at least at my level. Has anyone else personally seen anything between 20-40%? I mean same job diff stated, apples to apples.

Maybe it depends on the industry, but CPG jobs in CA that I know of aren't much more than in IL, OH, or MN. In my ind, the biggest $ adjustment is if you're in NW AR.

Leroy
04-11-2007, 07:36 AM
COLA I saw once was 16-18% to move from Indiana to LA area.

Mag_Red
04-11-2007, 08:15 AM
My Co.'s COLA doesn't even crack 20% - at least at my level. Has anyone else personally seen anything between 20-40%? I mean same job diff stated, apples to apples.

Maybe it depends on the industry, but CPG jobs in CA that I know of aren't much more than in IL, OH, or MN. In my ind, the biggest $ adjustment is if you're in NW AR.Ryan.......you moving to Ohio??? Or was that just an example?? If so........where abouts??

Ryan
04-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Ryan.......you moving to Ohio??? Or was that just an example?? If so........where abouts??

I'm moving to Columbus, 6 miles from Footin'.

Go Tree Nuts... I mean, go Buckeyes! :D

Maristar210
04-11-2007, 12:26 PM

Oh boy. Another Buckeye. Nice knowin ya Ryan:D

Footin
04-11-2007, 07:00 PM

And he has a room painted up for "The Ohio State University"!

If he paints over it, my wife says "he can't ski behind our boat"

slink976
04-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Next step, Frame in new walls to allow more counter space.

yzwiley
04-11-2007, 08:11 PM

There's an up-front price to live in paradise and some of us are very willing to accept that.

I looked at moving to the Austin, TX area a year ago and found it to not be worth it. The biggest issue was the 3.2% property tax and the fact that the homes there were not that much cheaper than where I'm at in California; maybe 100k less for a 2500sqft home. Add to the fact that after deductions applied my CA state income tax amount is very little. When I calculated average income and all costs associated to Texas and California over thirty years I was much better off staying in CA.

The other big downers for Texas for me, y'all don't have public forests for dirtbike riders to trail ride in and no snow skiing.

yzwiley
04-11-2007, 08:15 PM
sorry i dont know anyone in socal. if you were in nor cal i could hook you up. especailly if the kitchen is small i could use left overs nd do it for a good deal.

Hey, I'm starting my kitchen remodel next month.....

Ryan
04-11-2007, 08:30 PM
I agree with everything you said - even though I'm moving. I've certainly paid to live at the beach. But have to wonder if we're really only talking about $100k diff. I've got to believe the house in TX would be newer and significantly nicer than a slapped together stucco tract home. ICBW. And certainly no offense intended on houses up there. I live in a 950 sqft house that was built in '49 - you know the size of a Cracker Jack box.

Are we talking new home prices or at least same age/quality homes2500 sqft in a suburb of Sacramento (http://www.trulia.com/property/35359298-3707-Larkspur-Ln-Cameron-Park-CA-95682)vs Austin (http://www.trulia.com/property/1029671579-11417-Sabinal-Mesa-Dr-Austin-TX-78739)?

Footin
04-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Ryan, you made the right choice in moving to Ohio, home of THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY!!!!!

Ryan
04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
And he has a room painted up for "The Ohio State University"!

If he paints over it, my wife says "he can't ski behind our boat"

My wife has some ideas of what to do with the bar too. They actually make sense for making more of a theater room. I mean, how often am I really going to be serving 10 root beer floats?

Footin
04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
By the way, paint the OSU room, and you can't go out on my boat!

Footin
04-11-2007, 08:34 PM
My wife has some ideas of what to do with the bar too. They actually make sense for making more of a theater room. I mean, how often am I really going to be serving 10 root beer floats?

Cool, ad OSU theater room!

Ryan
04-11-2007, 08:52 PM
By the way, paint the OSU room, and you can't go out on my boat!

That's alright, I'll just watch for a late 80's pontoon on Craigslist instead. I don't need those new fangled electronic cruise control things.

Footin
04-11-2007, 09:05 PM
That's alright, I'll just watch for a late 80's pontoon on Craigslist instead. I don't need those new fangled electronic cruise control things.

I will print this post and never let you forget it.

Harvey
04-12-2007, 02:34 PM
I shopped local granite yesterday. The fiance found the right granite to match the colors in the kitchen. 46 total square feet of countertop installed for $2070 ($45 per sq. ft). We decided against granite for the backsplash. It will actually be a type of cork with a sealed acrylic finish on top of it for durability. We are probably going to do this in May but I will get you guys some before and after shots when we do it.

slink976
04-12-2007, 03:44 PM
ouch that is very pricey. I am looking for something between 500 to 750 for a solution. I am think of doing the granite tile. I have done it before and it came out okay.

Harvey
04-12-2007, 04:06 PM
I know it's pricy but she lets me indulge in expensive toys like boats and cars so I can oblige when she wants 2K in countertops. Truth be told the color combo will make the kitchen look like a haven for a chef and ought to help sell it when we put it up on the market in the next couple years.

Leroy
04-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Having lived in 5 houses in the past 9 years you can always tell differences when you look in a price range. I would say drop in a slab of granite for that price range house but maybe different in CA. It's all about comps and if comps at $570k have granite you are at disadvantage. If comps do not you can create an advantage for yourself with the slab of granite.

I think earlier ouch that is very pricey. I am looking for something between 500 to 750 for a solution. I am think of doing the granite tile. I have done it before and it came out okay.

Harvey
04-13-2007, 03:10 PM
I am dropping in a granite slab on a 160K house to make it look more attractive than it's comps.

I am amazed that I am living in Texas in the heart of the DFW area (no more than 25 minutes to downtown Dallas or Ft Worth) in 1960 sq ft on about .35 acres for a third of the price I would pay in California. I love Texas!!!

Sodar
04-13-2007, 03:27 PM
I am dropping in a granite slab on a 160K house to make it look more attractive than it's comps.

I am amazed that I am living in Texas in the heart of the DFW area (no more than 25 minutes to downtown Dallas or Ft Worth) in 1960 sq ft on about .35 acres for a third of the price I would pay in California. I love Texas!!!

$160k would not get you a 800 sq ft condo in the ghetto!! :mad:

California housing prices have gotta come down... if not, I think I will be living with my parents until they die!! :D

rodltg2
04-13-2007, 03:33 PM
harvey thats a very low price. be carefull..

TNH2oSkier
04-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Dont forget to rough in for additional electric, for every 2' of counter space you have to have an outlet, that is if you want to keep things up to code.

slink976
04-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Exactly, I actually am doing that right now. just need to add 3 J-Boxes so I wont need to run any new cicuits or anything. Just going to daisy chain them together.

Harvey
04-13-2007, 09:30 PM
harvey thats a very low price. be carefull..

Actually I got quotes from 3 different installers. They are all between $2000 and $2400. Granite in Texas is cheaper apparently.

Of coarse with the baseball sized hail that just hit here I will need to spend the extra money on the roof!

BriEOD
04-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Florida is not in the ball park of Cali, but recently the market went through the roof. Then the bottom fell out of the market. Gotta love it.:rolleyes:

rodltg2
04-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Actually I got quotes from 3 different installers. They are all between $2000 and $2400. Granite in Texas is cheaper apparently.

Of coarse with the baseball sized hail that just hit here I will need to spend the extra money on the roof!

is that including material, labor to fabricate and install. is it pre -fabricated granite?? menainf that they come in certian sizes. or is it slab granite.

BriEOD
04-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Rod,

I've got a question for you. What do you suggest for cleaning and maintaining granite? I've got it all over my house: kitchen and bathrooms.

rodltg2
04-13-2007, 09:56 PM
mild dish spap and water for day to day. you can use a granite cleaner from simple green for a heavier cleaning.

BriEOD
04-13-2007, 10:00 PM
What about a wax. Our grantie guy recommended every few months to use a product that essentially is a granite wax.

rodltg2
04-13-2007, 11:23 PM
that would be the granite sealer. depending on the color is how often you need it. lighter color , apply every 6months. darker colors 1 once year. dont over seal because it can cause a build up. the way to tell if you need it is; spill some water on the surface if it beads up, your good. if it soaks in , time to seal ..

Harvey
04-14-2007, 03:57 PM
is that including material, labor to fabricate and install. is it pre -fabricated granite?? menainf that they come in certian sizes. or is it slab granite.

That is everything material, labor, install. It is slab. We actually picked out the slab in the warehouse. It is on the cheaper end of the color spectrum but it matches the kitchen perfectly. It is from a reputable local granite supply company. We know a salesman at the distributor so they may have discounted the materials to the installers we called.

BriEOD
04-14-2007, 06:07 PM
that would be the granite sealer. depending on the color is how often you need it. lighter color , apply every 6months. darker colors 1 once year. dont over seal because it can cause a build up. the way to tell if you need it is; spill some water on the surface if it beads up, your good. if it soaks in , time to seal ..
Thanks Rod. Thought I'd ask a pro. We did get some sealer. That stuff isn't cheap! $30/bottle. Our rep recommended about every 3 months using some denatured alcohol to take off the wax and then reseal.

rodltg2
04-14-2007, 07:39 PM
yep, denayured alcohol is a good cleaner/stripper. jusy be carefull not to get on the cabinet doors.

slink976
04-24-2007, 05:43 PM
okay new updates....

Stripped and ready to strip out the walls

sanjuan23
04-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Lee, I see you're still getting your nutritional values from the looks of those cans on the framing. :D

slink976
04-24-2007, 05:48 PM
You know it!

slink976
04-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Foyer is complete.

slink976
04-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Next you level the floor.

slink976
04-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Then I think you do something like this.

BrianM
04-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Foyer is complete.

Floor looks great. What is on the wall? Looks like a faux paint to look like stone. If so I would just paint it a nice neutral color. Very busy the way it is.

slink976
04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
yep, It is a tropical island painting. Very nice I just can't paint over it.

BrianM
04-30-2007, 03:50 PM
yep, It is a tropical island painting. Very nice I just can't paint over it.
As much as you like it if I were your agent I would tell you to paint over it. Most buyers do not want that kind of personalization. Being that is the first thing you see when you walk in I would highly reccomend painting it to something neutral.

Just a bit of unsolicited advice from someone who sells houses every day.

Cabinets are looking very nice as well. The light maple really helps lighten up the small space

slink976
05-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Okay another update,

slink976
05-07-2007, 07:46 PM
and another angle, sink, dishwasher and microwave are going in tonight.

slink976
05-08-2007, 01:32 PM
was able to get the sink in last night. Just to find out that I broke the dishwasher line :( hopefully by the end of the day I will have all appliances in and running. And if I get really motovated RUNNING WATER!

sand2snow22
05-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Dang, that's coming along nice, and fast. I'll have hijack and post a pic of mine. Cabinets are currently being painted, boy does it smell bad......

sand2snow22
05-08-2007, 04:32 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/DSC03513.jpg

slink976
05-21-2007, 04:00 PM
lol, Totally forgot to update you guys....

Okay completed about 99.5% and the last.5% is taking me forever to complete (the will is gone).

Monte
05-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Looks Great slink.. I hear ya on the thrill thing.. Redid my entire house. Now the only thing left is the entry way.. That is the thorn in my side..

Danimal
05-21-2007, 04:23 PM

edited due to me not reading:D

sand2snow22
05-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Looks great, is that beer on the counter your friend throughout the process?

slink976
05-21-2007, 08:32 PM
not only my friend my pain reliever!

JKTX21
05-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Did you already move back to California?!

Texas is still waiting for you, getting hotter by the day my friend.

sand2snow22
05-21-2007, 08:45 PM
not only my friend my pain reliever!

Haha, I've been drinking too much during my kitchen remodel, I blame it on my plumber, who is also a good friend, he's a bad influence.....

slink976
05-21-2007, 11:22 PM
other way for me.... I was the bad influence!

slink976
05-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Did you already move back to California?!

Texas is still waiting for you, getting hotter by the day my friend.

No, still trying to sell my house. I should be back on the market this weekend and hopefully sold that day!

Leroy
07-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Looks nice Slink, I haven't seen anything, have you sold it?

lol, Totally forgot to update you guys....

Okay completed about 99.5% and the last.5% is taking me forever to complete (the will is gone).

slink976
07-12-2007, 12:29 AM
nope..... unfortunately I just took it off the market on monday :( Everyone around my area appearently is going the foreclosure route. My house is now worth 22k less then it was at the begining of the year.

But I got to look for the silver lining here, I live in California, and got a new kitchen!

JimN
07-12-2007, 12:53 AM
If you can afford it, look for the house you really want among the foreclosures. Rent yours out (executive rentals) and make a bunch of money on it before selling. If it's near a golf course where they hold major tournaments, they're always looking to rent houses for the pros and they pay big bucks for week-long rentals.

slink976
07-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Money isn't the issue for us. Just wanted to move to Texas and maybe get a lake house so that I can wake up to morning runs go to work and be merry! However had I bought that lake front property I was looking at I think it would be under water now!

Leroy
07-12-2007, 01:13 AM
That's right, enjoy the kitchen! Also, 22k is nothing in the price of that house.

Jim is right, you know housing will turn around and with all of the foreclosures the prices have dropped a lot.

The main thing with the foreclosures isn't that people can't afford a home just they can't afford what they have. So the people in $600k homes will get $400k homes people in $400k homes will end up with $200k homes etc.

Certain areas around Indy also have high foreclosure rates and houses are not moving. The loaning institutes are all to blame, don't ask don't tell loans?

JKTX21
07-12-2007, 01:42 AM
Money isn't the issue for us. Just wanted to move to Texas and maybe get a lake house so that I can wake up to morning runs go to work and be merry! However had I bought that lake front property I was looking at I think it would be under water now!

Bummer man, I was looking forward to bumming at your lake house! ;)

The rain out here has been unreal. I took a gander at my spot today and it was just amazing how much the water has come up in about 6 weeks.