PDA

View Full Version : Custom Cover for a 1986 MC and Swim Platform??

Tom Wortham
04-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Looking to purchase a Cover for my 86 MC. Main usage would be while it is on a lift (not trailering). However, I need it to fit snug. Protecting against sun and rain. Would like for it to cover the swim platform as well (rear end of the boat will have sun exposure). Thoughts/links? Tom

TMCNo1
04-10-2007, 12:32 PM
try these people, http://www.skiboatcovers.com/ You may have to get them to make a platform cover to work with the cover to use on the platform.

Jkelly
04-10-2007, 12:34 PM
http://www.skiboatcovers.com/

I just ordered a new cover for my 2004 197. Mike custom cut it to for my tower.
If you want one that covers the swim platform order a water line cover. That is what I order and it covers everthing above the water line.

I am really happy with the fit and look of my cover. And Mike is a great guy to work with. I ordered it on a saturday and had it the next friday.

If I have time I will take pictures of it and post

Jason

Sodar
04-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Looking to purchase a Cover for my 86 MC. Main usage would be while it is on a lift (not trailering). However, I need it to fit snug. Protecting against sun and rain. Would like for it to cover the swim platform as well (rear end of the boat will have sun exposure). Thoughts/links? Tom

If you get the waterline cover it will cover the whole boat to the waterline, including the swim platform. Here is a pic of mine from skiboatcovers.com (http://www.skiboatcovers.com)

Tom Wortham
04-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks Guys. I remember this site/link from an older thread. I'll give Mike a call. Thanks for the pics. SodarSki73... this is what I want... just want to make sure the "waterline" for an 86 model covers the teak as well.
What material? Sumbrella is the best, correct. Thanks again!

Jkelly
04-10-2007, 01:10 PM
I went with Sumbrella. A little more $$$ but it was well worth it.

P.S.
I don't mean to jack this thread but how is the skiing in the Dallas Area.
Might be moving that way.

BrianM
04-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Yep! www.skiboatcovers.com The waterline covers go over the platform. Give Mike a call he will hook you up. Go with the Sunbrella for sure. There is a picture in my gallery of my '88 with a waterline cover. I had Mike install lifjacket style buckles and straps for ease of use. Cost me a couple of extra bucks but made it go on even easier.

Tom Wortham
04-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Yep! www.skiboatcovers.com The waterline covers go over the platform. Give Mike a call he will hook you up. Go with the Sunbrella for sure. There is a picture in my gallery of my '88 with a waterline cover. I had Mike install lifjacket style buckles and straps for ease of use. Cost me a couple of extra bucks but made it go on even easier.

Great idea with the life jacket buckles.. especially if you are hanging from a boat dock! :D

Just a little detail from you Brian... how many "buckles" do you recommend? I assume Mike will make the suggestion. I'll view yours.
Tom

BrianM
04-10-2007, 04:08 PM
He normally just puts tie down loops around for tieing it down. I just asked him to put the buckles there instead. He put the female ends on the over and then made me up some straps with the male ends. I always left one end attached to the cover. Then I rolled it on looped the straps to the trailer and snapped the other end into place. Gave a little tug on the free end to cinch everything nice and tight. At the time my boat lived outside. I never got a drop of water in the boat with that cover. Worked out perfect for me. Here is the picture.

Tom Wortham
04-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Brian,
Looked at your photos... didn't see one with the cover on your 88.
Nice boat collection!

Tom Wortham
04-10-2007, 04:27 PM
I knew I have seen that picture before... I remember it now. Fits like a glove!
Did you get the Sunbrella material?
Did it come with reimforcement in the material to put a "support" towards the back of the boat (between the engine box and rear seat?
Looks like the swim platform is off. Got a back shot? Thanks Brian!

BrianM
04-10-2007, 04:30 PM
I knew I have seen that picture before... I remember it now. Fits like a glove!
Did you get the Sunbrella material?
Did it come with reimforcement in the material to put a "support" towards the back of the boat (between the engine box and rear seat?
Looks like the swim platform is off. Got a back shot? Thanks Brian!

Sorry that is the only one I have. Yes it was Sunbrella and I would not reccomend anything else. Everything was re-enforced where needed and the cover came with two support poles that snapped into position (one just in front of the engine cover the other between the engine cover and back seat. The platform was on and covered in that picture. The profile looked just like Sodars. The cover was extremely well made and it fit like a drum head. I had it for two years all of them spent outside in the southern sun and heat and it still looked brand new.

Tom Wortham
04-10-2007, 05:12 PM
SOLD! Thanks Brian.

2old2ski
05-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I finally need to replace the (original) cover of my 1992 Prostar 190. Does the cover from skiboatcovers.com come with the straps in the same place as the original?

Also, I see that Sunbrella seems to be the unanimous choice here, and I intend on going with that. But, I have one question: What is the material that MasterCraft used for the original cover? Mine is 15 years old and still in good shape. It is really the seams and the straps that are shot.

Thanks

BrianM
05-11-2007, 08:55 AM
I finally need to replace the (original) cover of my 1992 Prostar 190. Does the cover from skiboatcovers.com come with the straps in the same place as the original?

Also, I see that Sunbrella seems to be the unanimous choice here, and I intend on going with that. But, I have one question: What is the material that MasterCraft used for the original cover? Mine is 15 years old and still in good shape. It is really the seams and the straps that are shot.

ThanksDon't know if they are in the exact some place (they probably are) but the locations worked great for using the original trailer tie downs on my boat. See the picture above. Mike usually just puts loops for you to secure with bungee or lines. I had the straps andd buckles done instead. I would reccomend doing that.

Don't know what the original covers material is/was.