PDA

View Full Version : IPOD Nano has croaked

Jesus_Freak
04-10-2007, 01:18 PM
My teenager, being the rocket scientist that he is, decided to formulate a plan to completely drain the battery in his IPOD. He set it up on repeat, we left the house for hours, and it certainly bit the dust. Now, we cannot get it to respond at all, even after being docked for days, looking for reset buttons, etc. Any suggestions??

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-10-2007, 01:22 PM
My teenager, being the rocket scientist that he is,:uglyhamme :uglyhamme HA!!! I cant help but laugh! Sorry man, its just too funny how you refer to him. I have a customer and freind of many years that refers to his youngest son as "wonder child" because of the less-than-brilliant things he has done in his youth. Funny stuff. Even thought he kid has wised up a bit and made better choices, his dad still calls him Wonder Child! Hilarous!

ski_king
04-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Try this.
http://mtdewvirus.com/archives/2005/10/03/ipod-nano-lockup-reset/

Andyg
04-10-2007, 01:30 PM
I had an iPod that wouldn't power on after charging on the USB cable or in the car. It took plugging it into the wall outlet to reset it. Then it was fine.

east tx skier
04-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I've had to reset mine by holding menu/enter down for a few seconds and it has worked well to get things going again.

Sodar
04-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Call AppleCare: 1-800-275-2273

Leroy
04-10-2007, 01:34 PM
My sons gen 4 quit and I opened it up, disconnected the cables, reassembled it and it worked......Was getting ready to change the battery, but must have been loose connection.

Jesus_Freak
04-10-2007, 04:00 PM
My sons gen 4 quit and I opened it up, disconnected the cables, reassembled it and it worked......Was getting ready to change the battery, but must have been loose connection.

Leroy: I cannot see any way to disassemble the unit without a sledge hammer and chisel combo. I have used the sledge approach :D before on VHS rewinders and other old electronics that I have simply had enough of.

Thank you all for your time. I will try some of what was posted.

Leroy
04-10-2007, 04:38 PM
JF; For gen 4, ie the bigger units you can open with a credit card or there is a small plastic tool you can get. These units just snap together and likewise snap apart. Look on ebay for battery or screen for the nano and the ad will tell you how to open. I haven't had to open my daughters nano yet.

Skibumtx
04-10-2007, 04:40 PM
I have used the procedure that is noted above by Ski-King several times when my daughter's Ipod has frozen up. How old is it? I would not suggest opening it if it is under warranty; our earphones died and they replaced them in 2 days for free.

rstitson
04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Go online. My son did the same thing and it wouldn't power up after. He went online to some site... Googled and found a non intrusive process to power it up. Of course he lost his a couple of months later.. has decided he doesn't want to lose another buck fifty + the buck we kicked in. We feel worse about it then he does as we know how much he liked it... oh well lessons can be tough.

ski_king
04-10-2007, 04:56 PM
If it is dead, look into a Sandisk Express (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1226)-SanDisk_Sansa_Express_MP3_Players.aspx). I bought a 1G 2 weeks ago for $60 and it does everything the nano can and more. Plus I added a 2G micro sd card for another $20.

Jwhitsett1129
04-10-2007, 05:25 PM
I've had to reset mine by holding menu/enter down for a few seconds and it has worked well to get things going again.

I have always had good luck with this as well. I would give it a shot.

Jesus_Freak
04-11-2007, 12:54 PM
I have always had good luck with this as well. I would give it a shot.

ETS posted the short version of what was shone on:

Try this.
http://mtdewvirus.com/archives/2005/10/03/ipod-nano-lockup-reset/

That worked! Now wonder boy can try to find a new way to break it.

Thanks for your input.