PDA

View Full Version : 94 Prostar 205, Oil Leak, Wont Start

Thomas205
04-10-2007, 04:33 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post although ive been a lurker for a long time. Ive managed to fix most of my problems with info found on here but im really struggling here.

I recently had the head gasket changed on my 205 (EFI) and the boat has been running fine since then. The other day after riding with a bit more load on the engine I noticed a lot of oil in the bilge the next morning. I cleaned it up, topped the oil up and ran the boat again to try find the leak. It appears to be running down the transmission and onto the flywheel and over alot of the electrics.

Ive been using the boat with the oil leak and just keeping an eye on the pressure for the time being because I can't fix it just yet. The other problem I have had for the last two days and the thing that really has me stumped is that after running for a couple of hours and then leaving the boat for a while it wont start. Im pretty sure its not a vapour lock, but the boat will start the next morning. It cranks but no fuel squirts out of the injectors. There is a box above the starter with a lot of plugs that has got some oil on it. Could the oil be causing a problem?

Thanks for your help.

east tx skier
04-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Welcome.

BUMP for you.

Jesus_Freak
04-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Welcome. My 94 PS 205 also has trouble starting when hot occasionally, but I have not found the cause.

BrianM
04-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Maybe a rear main seal. If the oil is just kind of appearing in bellhousing and flywheel this is the likely candidate. The flywheel can sling it everywhere. Call Vince at www.skidim.com That guy is great at trouble shooting.

Ryan
04-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Not an easy project, but I suspect Brian's idea is the best match for your description.

Do you use your boat in S.Africa??? Just there temporarily? I'd love to see some pics.

JDK
04-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Welcome. My 94 PS 205 also has trouble starting when hot occasionally, but I have not found the cause.

Hot flooding. Mine has done this a couple of times too. When hot, if the boat doesn't start DO NOT TURN THE KEY TO THE OFF POSITION, ONLY LET IT GO BACK TO THE RUN POSITION when you stop cranking. The next time you crank, open the throttle about 1/2 way (or more).....and get ready to pull the throttle back to idle when it fires.

Jesus_Freak
04-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Hot flooding. Mine has done this a couple of times too. When hot, if the boat doesn't start DO NOT TURN THE KEY TO THE OFF POSITION, ONLY LET IT GO BACK TO THE RUN POSITION when you stop cranking. The next time you crank, open the throttle about 1/2 way (or more).....and get ready to pull the throttle back to idle when it fires.

Thanks. Yes, I have found this to work, but I would prefer to find a method to alleviate the problem in the first place. You are proposing that it is due to too much fuel in the manifold ("flooding")? How did it get there while sitting with the engine off?

Thomas205
04-11-2007, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the replys, I suspected the leak was the rear main seal. Im going to get that sorted out over winter. The problem that im struggling with is why no fuel is coming out of the injectors now after running for a while. I have checked all the fuel lines and there is fuel all the way to the injectors, its just not coming through. Its intermittent, the other morning it was ok, now it isnt. I suspect electrical but I don't know where to begin. One thing I did notice was when I tipped some fuel down into the carb it still wouldnt fire. Could this be an ECM issue?

Thanks again

BrianM
04-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Relay maybe? JimN or EngineNut should be around soon with a couple of ideas for you.

chico
04-13-2007, 06:50 PM
My 94-205 did the same thing.Changed lots of parts.The battery was bad.If it does not put out 11.5 volts during cranking you will have these issuse.Hope this helps.

chico
04-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Another thing to check is the screen in front of the fuel pump.You have to remove the pump,and check the inlet screen.You can carefully clean it with a dental pick.