PDA

View Full Version : Suntan lotion on seats

Todd Brosius
01-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Anyone out there know if there is a suntan lotion made that is safe for the upholstery on Mastercraft boats, mine is an '04. I personally don't use any but the wife and our newborn will use lotion on occasion. I'm just trying to prevent any stains that may occur from using suntan lotion. Last summer my wife would simply place a towel on the driver's seat when driving but when guests arrive I don't want to say "NO suntan lotion" but if I have to, I will.

milkmania
01-23-2005, 08:26 PM
mine's an older boat with worn seats, so suntan lotion is not an issue........

but, keep in mind....YOU are the Captain, and YOU make the payments, and YOU will benefit or not benefit from the resale when it comes time to sell.

looks like a good SPF 30 might help mine, but I don't know...lol

jimmer2880
01-24-2005, 08:31 AM
My wife, Toddler daughter & myself use Bull Frog religiously (no - not just on Christmas & Easter) and haven't had any problems! In fact, it may just add a layer of protection to your seat since the SunBlock is blocking the same rays that is damaging to your seats.

BTW - after your first bout with skin cancer, you'll change your mind also. The scary thing about skin cancer is that it doesn't only affect your skin. Once it gets into your limph nodes, your done. I have a buddy who has a 40% chance of getting cancer somewhere else in his body (anywhere else) within the next 5 years because he had skin cancer.

H20skeefreek
01-24-2005, 11:40 AM
ditto, gotta use the block! and bullfrog is the best, just put it on, and the sliminess evaporates and shouldn't be anything to get on the seats.

east tx skier
01-24-2005, 11:49 AM
We use No-Ad 45 and a bimini top. No stains on the seats yet. I won't go on a boat without sunblock. I'll usually reapply every 30 minutes.

H20skeefreek
01-24-2005, 11:51 AM
WOW every 30 mins, that's commitment. Go ETS!! I reapply usually 1 or 2 times a day.

east tx skier
01-24-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm somewhat fair-skinned and my wife's a redhead. Our kid is doomed to a greasy boating existence.

jimmer2880
01-24-2005, 12:41 PM
WOW every 30 mins, that's commitment. Go ETS!! I reapply usually 1 or 2 times a day.

I agree - that's why we use BullFrog. We re-apply after towel-drying only. Since we rarely towel dry, we only need to re-apply 1-2 times per day. We also wear Rash Guards, so we're only putting sunscreen on arms, legs, neck & head. Old Navy even makes rash guards and board shorts for infants! :headbang:

east tx skier
01-24-2005, 12:55 PM
There's certainly no beating bull frog for protection. However, I can't stand the smell of it though and if you've ever gotten it in your eyes, that's not pleasant either.

I have a rash guard and wear it often.

I'd buy some board shorts at old navy, but BriEOD makes fun of them. :cry:

bradamerry
01-24-2005, 12:58 PM
There's certainly no beating bull frog for protection. However, I can't stand the smell of it though and if you've ever gotten it in your eyes, that's not pleasant either.

I have a rash guard and wear it often.

I'd buy some board shorts at old navy, but BriEOD makes fun of them. :cry:

Yes he would! I have never heard of rash guard :confused:, probably because I have never needed it, guess?

east tx skier
01-24-2005, 01:16 PM
I should've said, yes he did. Cheapest, yet best, board shorts I've owned from a functional standpoint. Held no water.

Rash guards are good for UV protection and a little wind resistance on slightly chilly mornings. They also help with, you guessed it, rash.

BrianM
01-24-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm a big fan of Coppertone Sport SPF 48. I am a little skin cancer paranoid. I spend a lot of time on the boat and out in the sun in general. Whenever we are out in the boat my wife and I (both of us fair skinned) take a bath in the stuff. We usually reappy every hour or so. Believe it or not we both still get a little sun even with the SPF 48 and a bimini. It isn't greesey after it is rubbed in and doesn't get in tyour eyes. I have had no problems with it staining seats or clothing.

jayderwin1
01-24-2005, 02:24 PM
what about suntan oil will that make your seats weather faster?

Leroy
01-24-2005, 02:49 PM
What we use also BrianM, have never had a problem with that stuff and generally lasts the whole day. We are also pretty pale, well actually I'm ghostly until few weeks in the sun!

THe sunscreen protects the seats from the damaging UV rays the same as your body.

Also make sure you wear UV sunglasses, there's more data on the damage to your eyes.

jimmer2880
01-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Yes he would! I have never heard of rash guard :confused:, probably because I have never needed it, guess?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=10351

They are very cool in the sun. Especially when you're moving. At least, the thin ones I have. They work extremely well. I never thought I'd be swimming with a shirt on, but these don't move around at all.

Unfortunately, they also emphasize any "adult beverage abdomen" one might have acquired.:toast: