PDA

View Full Version : dog training with peanuts?

milkmania
04-09-2007, 11:33 PM
bottom line: my poodles are nuts for peanuts!!!

they seem to make an awesome training reward (very inexpensive)
I've got both dogs to lay down, roll over, stay, sit, speak, and dance with peanuts...
I checked with the vet first, and she approved.

my grandfather trained his schnauzers with peanuts also

what does everyone else use?

peason
04-09-2007, 11:36 PM
My only concern with using peanuts is that my son bit into a peanut when he was around 3 and part of the peanut went down his wind pipe - we had to go to the hospital and have it extracted. I don't know is dogs have the same configuration but may BigMac can clarify.

jimmer2880
04-10-2007, 05:50 AM
I've heard that small pieces of hotdogs work great if you have a dog who doesn't like treats. My only concern with the hotdogs are - they aren't exactly a "clean" treat. I'd end up with a grease stain a mile long running out of my pocket if I tried them :o. I swear honey, it was the hot dog :rolleyes: .

I like the peanut idea. I'll have to try that.

Leroy
04-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Way to go Milk! I also have a big jar of peanuts we bought at Costco that we use to train/reward our lab.

bigmac
04-10-2007, 07:48 AM
My only concern with using peanuts is that my son bit into a peanut when he was around 3 and part of the peanut went down his wind pipe - we had to go to the hospital and have it extracted. I don't know is dogs have the same configuration but may BigMac can clarify.

Should be no problem for an adult dog.

Maristar210
04-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Way to go Milk! I also have a big jar of peanuts we bought at Costco that we use to train/reward our lab.

Exactly my story as well. $9.00 for a giant jar and thier GOOD...

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Good to know! as with anytyhing, I am sure moderation is key. I would assume too many peanuts could promote problems and messy rugs.

Hey, BTW did anyone notice how much Bigmac rocks? Bigmac rules! he is our "go to" guy on everything medical! :)

To he## with webmd.com, we got bigmac!:headbang: Thanks Bigmac!!!:D

04-10-2007, 08:59 AM
I know their Good Staristar, but he meant for the DOG, not you!:D 8p

Leroy
04-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Cocoa likes for me to grab a beer, hand full of peanuts and go out to throw the frisbee! Man's best friend!

04-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Cocoa likes for me to grab a beer, hand full of peanuts and go out to throw the frisbee! Man's best friend!
I am going to try the frisbee too Leroy. I got her a dog frisbee. What type does Cocoa like? a dog frisbee or a regular human frisbee?:confused:

Leroy
04-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Definitely the cloth like dog frisbee from the pet store.

I am going to try the frisbee too Leroy. I got her a dog frisbee. What type does Cocoa like? a dog frisbee or a regular human frisbee?:confused:

bigmac
04-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Zoey, one of our golden retrievers, LIVES for the cloth frisbee. She has indoor and outdoor versions.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/27558649.jpg http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/27946939.jpg

04-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Far out!!! I like the pics! I remember Leroy posting a really good pic of Cocoa catching a frisbee in the yard. Still got that pic Leroy? if so, post it!:)

I have the frisbee, so I will try it today at lunch time with her. I go home at lunch everyday. Which is very pivitol in the dog thing as she needs to go out to go potty. and she likes to run and play in the back yard a bit. :D

TMCNo1
04-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Far out!!! I like the pics! I remember Leroy posting a really good pic of Cocoa catching a frisbee in the yard. Still got that pic Leroy? if so, post it!:)

I have the frisbee, so I will try it today at lunch time with her. I go home at lunch everyday. Which is very pivitol in the dog thing as she needs to go out to go potty. and she likes to run and play in the back yard a bit. :D

Easter is a smart dog! She has called me 3 times this morning wanting to know what all those set screws are for. Don't worry if when you go home at lunch to let her out to go potty, she may not need to go! Just check your shoes by the door, they may have a funny smell!

04-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Yea, she wanted to know where she could get some $5.00 sunglasses too.

TMCNo1
04-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Take her to Wal-Mart as a seeing eye dog. I think the dog sunglasses are back in the department near the airplane props/tires, mobile home axles and the caskets/vaults.

04-10-2007, 12:10 PM
I thought Ric didnt sell $5.00 sunglasses? and that we couldnt buy them from him, because he does not sell them.

Harvey
04-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Popcorn with a little salt and butter. My dogs would do anything to get some. I taught my 12 year old dog new tricks with popcorn. Only drawback is popcorn doesnt fit in your pocket easily, you need a bowl to carry it.

04-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Only drawback is popcorn doesnt fit in your pocket easily Especially if you wear a superhero outfit. :o

Harvey
04-10-2007, 02:22 PM
I know popcorn won't fit in a superhero outfit but do you even fit in the superhero outfit? :D

And I don't need to see pictures. :D

04-10-2007, 02:29 PM
I tried the doggie frisbee with Esther at lunch time. She doesnt exactly get the concept yet. :D I throw it, and she goes and picks it up off the ground and runs around the yard wanting me to chase her for it. :uglyhamme and I really dont care, as long as she is getting excercise and is having fun, thats all that really counts in my book. I will keep working with her to see if she will catch it. My dachshund I had pretty much took to frisbees like a duck to water. started catching them instantly.

milkmania
04-10-2007, 09:22 PM
got a question

the poodles are house broken... for the most part:rolleyes:

how do I train a dog to either scratch at the door, or otherwise notify someone they need to take care of business?

the reason I call them housebroken is they have no accidents if they are taken out every couple of hours. (the only accidents that occur are when the kids are left to attend to the dogs)

bonus: fortunately their accident spot is the kid's vinyl covered bathroom floor8p

also, I invite them out to go pee, and bring them right afterwards, so they'll associate their outside visit to taking care of business. praise them afterwards also.

they are crate broken, and have absolutely no qualms of getting in bed... but they are allowed to stay out of the crate all day.

funny thing happened one evening on the back porch..........
typically, I take the dogs out, supervise, then bring them in.
this one time I had their transport carrier open on the back porch. anyway, I stood at the door and said "come on girls, get in bed"

instead of going to their house crate, they went to bed in their transport crate:o

Slinkyredfoot
04-10-2007, 09:34 PM
I tried the doggie frisbee with Esther at lunch time. She doesnt exactly get the concept yet. :D I throw it, and she goes and picks it up off the ground and runs around the yard wanting me to chase her for it. :uglyhamme and I really dont care, as long as she is getting excercise and is having fun, thats all that really counts in my book. I will keep working with her to see if she will catch it. My dachshund I had pretty much took to frisbees like a duck to water. started catching them instantly.

Hey UMP why don't you put the frisbee in your mouth, run around and show Esther what you want her to do exactly...I showed my dog Boomer how to hike his leg and now he does it every time....

Leroy
04-10-2007, 10:09 PM
See if she will catch the frisbee at short distance. If you start chasing her then that is all she will want to do.

Doug G
04-10-2007, 11:01 PM
A trainer and vet both recommended carrots as a healthy treat and for training. The lab absolutely loves em, the beagle is acquiring a taste. I buy the baby carrots and that is a perfect size for the big guy, no fuss, no muss and healthy (shhhhhh, don't tell him).

I don't honestly remember doing anything special to teach them to go to the door. IIRC just taking them out on a regular schedule that matched their needs through the same door combined with the word "outside" they figured it out. Big guy (lab) doesn't scratch, but if you don't notice him at the door he will come get your attention and then sit by the door. The little sh.t (beagle) scratches, jumps at the door and does a general hyperactive freak out to get your attention.

Monte
04-10-2007, 11:06 PM
A trainer and vet both recommended carrots as a healthy treat and for training. The lab absolutely loves em, the beagle is acquiring a taste. I buy the baby carrots and that is a perfect size for the big guy, no fuss, no muss and healthy (shhhhhh, don't tell him).

I don't honestly remember doing anything special to teach them to go to the door. IIRC just taking them out on a regular schedule that matched their needs through the same door combined with the word "outside" they figured it out. Big guy (lab) doesn't scratch, but if you don't notice him at the door he will come get your attention and then sit by the door. The little sh.t (beagle) scratches, jumps at the door and does a general hyperactive freak out to get your attention.

Thank goodness I have one big dog(wish I still had two) none of this scratching at the door stuff.. The cat(used to);)
Thanks for the advice on the p-nuts milk. teaching uno to catch the frisbee as we speak.......

Doug G
04-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Thank goodness I have one big dog(wish I still had two) none of this scratching at the door stuff.. The cat(used to);)
Thanks for the advice on the p-nuts milk. teaching uno to catch the frisbee as we speak.......

Beagle was a rescue from a neighbor with young kids that got a dog and couldn't handle it. Wife fell in love with the dog, they were mistreating him and finally going to get rid of him so he moved next door. After 2 cats,2 hamsters, a couple misc. fish, a guinnea pig, and hermit crabs have all come and gone over time I was very happy with my bud the lab being the last animal. I lost.

atlfootr
04-11-2007, 07:52 AM
I've heard that small pieces of hotdogs work great if you have a dog who doesn't like treats. My only concern with the hotdogs are - they aren't exactly a "clean" treat. I'd end up with a grease stain a mile long running out of my pocket if I tried them :o. I swear honey, it was the hot dog :rolleyes: .

I like the peanut idea. I'll have to try that.When we use to train our Rottie's, we'd use Veheina Sausages :o
We'd put'em inside Glad Sandwich bags, worked out great for everyone 8p

TMCNo1
04-11-2007, 08:45 AM
We always used Viahernia Sausages and Purk-n-Beans!:rolleyes: :D 8p And, had to then give her Rolaids for the indegestion!

04-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Hey UMP why don't you put the frisbee in your mouth, run around and show Esther what you want her to do exactly...I showed my dog Boomer how to hike his leg and now he does it every time....
I would have paid BIG money to see that Slinky. And everyone here knows how cheap I am!! OH yea, BIG money! A man teaching his dog to hike his leg......priceless!

OK, when Ms. UMP gets home this weekend I will have her throw the dog frisbee for me, I will run across the yard and jump and catch it with my mouth. then the neighbors will call the police, the police will call the 5th floor of the hospital, and my friends with the white vans will show up....again. :rolleyes: No thanks Slink! I aint goin back! :noface:

TMCNo1
04-11-2007, 08:51 AM
I would have paid BIG money to see that Slinky. And everyone here knows how cheap I am!! OH yea, BIG money! A man teaching his dog to hike his leg......priceless!

OK, when Ms. UMP gets home this weekend I will have her throw the dog frisbee for me, I will run across the yard and jump and catch it with my mouth. then the neighbors will call the police, the police will call the 5th floor of the hospital, and my friends with the white vans will show up....again. No thanks Slink! I aint goin back!

Thanks goodness your dog is female and not male or you would be showing him how to hump the mounted skunk sitting next to the fireplace.:rolleyes: :D :D

BrianM
04-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Big guy (lab) doesn't scratch, but if you don't notice him at the door he will come get your attention and then sit by the door. The little sh.t (beagle) scratches, jumps at the door and does a general hyperactive freak out to get your attention.
Both of my dogs will just go stand by the door. My female will start running laps between me and the door if I don't notice her quick enough. My male will tap on the aluminum threshold with his nails when he wants to come back in. Doesn't scratch at the door has just figured out that picking his paw up and setting it on the threshold makes quite a bit of noise. He does it then will wait a while, then does it progressively more often if you don't let him back in. Pretty smart.

Slinkyredfoot
04-11-2007, 07:47 PM

OK, when Ms. UMP gets home this weekend I will have her throw the dog frisbee for me, I will run across the yard and jump and catch it with my mouth. then the neighbors will call the police, the police will call the 5th floor of the hospital, and my friends with the white vans will show up....again. :rolleyes: No thanks Slink! I aint goin back! :noface:

Really can't blame you there UMP, I too have been there done that, but I was just trying to help you out man...I really care about your dog...:D

Ps.. would sombody please impose UMP's face with one of those dogs with the Frisbee in his or her mouth...I do not have the tools or smarts, this could be very entertaining...:cool:

04-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Really can't blame you there UMP, I too have been there done that, but I was just trying to help you out man...I really care about your dog...:D

Ps.. would sombody please impose UMP's face with one of those dogs with the Frisbee in his or her mouth...I do not have the tools or smarts, this could be very entertaining...:cool:
Slink, you rule my friend!:D

I havent had a problem with Esther going potty. She goes outside and takes care of bizness. SHe goes out first thing in the morning, at lunch time, after work, and then right before bedtime. One time, I was eating dinner and she was acting funny and sitting by the door. I thought she may have been playing but it was a different behavior, so I took her outside, sure enough, she had to go. So I am proud of her. she does great!

So far, she is a champ! She likes to entertain herself by chewing on toys and that. she dont get into trouble chewing shoes, etc... she really likes to run around the yard. I just want her to learn she dont need me out there with her. the yard is fenced in, so she cant get out. she likes me to be out there with her. I got her some Nylabones, and she really likes them, but I need to get her the stronger ones as she is really beating the he11 out of the medium ones. but she needs that focus and task to use her energy on. its good for her. So far, so good.

milkmania
04-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Slink, you rule my friend!:D

I havent had a problem with Esther going potty. She goes outside and takes care of bizness. SHe goes out first thing in the morning, at lunch time, after work, and then right before bedtime. One time, I was eating dinner and she was acting funny and sitting by the door. I thought she may have been playing but it was a different behavior, so I took her outside, sure enough, she had to go. So I am proud of her. she does great!

So far, she is a champ! She likes to entertain herself by chewing on toys and that. she dont get into trouble chewing shoes, etc... she really likes to run around the yard. I just want her to learn she dont need me out there with her. the yard is fenced in, so she cant get out. she likes me to be out there with her. I got her some Nylabones, and she really likes them, but I need to get her the stronger ones as she is really beating the he11 out of the medium ones. but she needs that focus and task to use her energy on. its good for her. So far, so good.

just remember....
when they get bored, they get into trouble!

especially a dog that likes to chew

04-12-2007, 11:34 AM
just remember....
when they get bored, they get into trouble!

especially a dog that likes to chew
Yea, thats why I have plenty of dog toys for her. she has two of those big knotted rope toys. she likes to try to chew the rope apart on them and it occupies her for quite a while. she also likes to chew tennis balls. she also has this rubber ball toy that she will throw around and chase it all by herself. funny to watch! and she chews that as well, but its built tough. I saw some dog toys on drs. foster smith website that are good for chewers. I am going to order some up for her. she also likes squeaky toys. those really entertain her. good times!

Leroy
04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
I know of a couple of labs that have chewed the knotted rope up, swallowed and had to have surgery for obstruction. We have one also and haven't had a problem, but watch it.

I can't imagine a dog or anyone being bored around you UMP! :D

Maristar210
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I know of a couple of labs that have chewed the knotted rope up, swallowed and had to have surgery for obstruction. We have one also and haven't had a problem, but watch it.

I can't imagine a dog or anyone being bored around you UMP! :D

Leroy

I was thinking the same thing. I cannot allow my Lab mix to have these ropes anymore. he eats them along with socks nylons plastic bottle caps the entire sports section and lots of other things I find out in the yard. Have had to use the Hydrogen peroxide twice aftter he ate a sock and a long baloon:rolleyes:

milkmania
04-12-2007, 11:46 AM
also, Greenies are getting bad publicity

04-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Shes pretty good about eating stuff. SHe tore apart a nylabone pretty good last night, and left the pieces on the floor. I threw them away. She hasnt ate any rope from what I can tell. she just likes to rip it up with her teeth so far. I will keep an eye on her though. My mom gave her one of Oscar's old rubber squeak toys, and she ripped that up into pieces, never ate it though. But I appreciate the warnings! I will watch her. I wont leave her have the nylabones without being watched. she doesnt seem concerned with eating stuff, just chewing. but the good part is, she only seems to chew on stuff that is intended for it. I think she is past the "puppy stage" of chewing where they want to chew and eat everything in site, like staristar's puppy. But I think she just wants to chew stuff as all dogs instinctlively do.

04-12-2007, 11:53 AM
also, Greenies are getting bad publicity
you mean the toothbrush shapes treats? why?

milkmania
04-12-2007, 12:28 PM
you mean the toothbrush shapes treats? why?

they're stories all over, creditng and discrediting them.....
http://quikonnex.com/channel/item/15795

it seems they bloat in the stomach and intestinal blockage

I don't know if they in fact do cause problems, but my dogs don't need them, therefore they don't get them:rolleyes:

04-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Interesting.

I got some dental treats from Drs Foster Smith for her. I wonder where those come in to this? they arent greenies, but I think they are a similar concept. :confused: