PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to run my new prop

cm02WS6
04-09-2007, 11:16 PM
The weather warmed up enough last week for me to get the boat out and try my new prop. I thought I'd share the info with everyone, as its somewhat of an unconventional choice given the overwhelming preference for the ACME 541 around here. The prop is an ACME 475, which is 13x12.625. The boat is a 2001 PS 209 with the 310 HP Predator (TBI) and 1:1 transmission.

To sum it all up, I am extremely happy with this new prop! My original 4-blade non-CNC OJ baselined at 43 mph @ 4500 rpm, and had noticeable vibration. Directly after that, I put on the new prop and it did 47 mph @ 4550 rpm, with absolutely zero vibration. I really didn't expect that much, but I was extremely happy to see a solid 3 mph increase on the top end at almost no RPM increase. The three other people in the boat also thought it picked up a lot out of the hole.

ACME recommended this one and the 13x13, so I picked this one because I wanted to follow their recommendation but still be closer to the 541 that everyone raves about around here. In the end, it turns out that its got a little more RPM to allow it to run the 541, but I really like that it picked up a lot of performance but not much RPM over my old prop (gas is expensive!).

bigmac
04-09-2007, 11:22 PM
I'll be interested to see how it pulls a skier out of the hole.

I know what you mean about the vibration. CNC props do a great job.

Mag_Red
04-09-2007, 11:24 PM
What was the pitch/ diameter of the original prop?? We have basically the same boat except mine has a factory 3 blade. Don't know the size off hand, but have been considering repropping the boat this season. Sounds like this might be the prop I should run with.

cm02WS6
04-09-2007, 11:41 PM
What was the pitch/ diameter of the original prop?? We have basically the same boat except mine has a factory 3 blade. Don't know the size off hand, but have been considering repropping the boat this season. Sounds like this might be the prop I should run with.

Sorry, I thought I mentioned that. The original prop was a 13x14 4-blade non-CNC OJ Legend.

What engine and transmission do you have?

Mag_Red
04-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Sorry, I thought I mentioned that. The original prop was a 13x14 4-blade non-CNC OJ Legend.

What engine and transmission do you have?same as you.

cm02WS6
04-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Yeah, the 475 would definately be a good choice. Going to the 13x12 or 13x13 would depend on your use, but I don't think I could ask for a better prop for my boat/application.

The guys at ACME are great to deal with. I contacted all the prop companies for their advice, and ACME provided great customer support. They fully answered all my questions with specific input based on my actual boat, motor, and application. Instead of saying "the 541 would run too high", they said "the 541 might run too high and here's why....". The consistency and technical nature of their recommendations was pretty much the deciding factor in my choice.

east tx skier
04-10-2007, 11:10 AM
I think Farmer Ted is running this prop, too.

lake
04-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Let me add a twist to this. Chris and I were both considering new props for our boats and were emailing back and forth prior to purchase. Mine boat is identical to his except its an 02 model. I too spoke to Acme and they recommended either the 475 or the 431, which is a true 13x13 3 blade prop.

I know it sounds crazy but I went with the 431. I've had it out twice and I love it. It pulls very strong out of the hole on a single ski. I'm a little over 200 lbs and was quite satisfied. I actually think its quicker than the old 13x14 although I never put it on the stopwatch. What I can verify is the increase in top end from 44 to 48 mph. This was verified by my handheld gps. At 3000 rpm I'm running about 33-34 mph, which ought to help on gas when were just cruising the lake.

I certainly dont mean to muddy the waters but thought it would be helpful to hear from another satisfied Acme customer. If you're unsure you could always take them up on the offer to try both. By the way, my engine pulls right at 4500 top end with the new prop.

cm02WS6
04-11-2007, 09:46 AM
I was hoping you'd see this and chime in! Your choice was not crazy at all--now you've got good holeshot, top speed, AND fuel economy.

Definately some good information that others can dig up later about a couple lesser-known prop choices.