PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Ford Escape

rodltg2
04-09-2007, 01:51 PM
im thinking about adding an suv to our work fleet. this one i will drive to minimize the use of my gas guzzler dodge. i havent seen one in person yet , has anyone checked out the new escape? with the i4cyl motor it has a 1500lbs tow capacity. do yo guys think that would be enough to tow my mc 500 ft from the lot to the ramp? and launch it. the ramp at the ski lake is very mellow.

CarlosCabanas
04-09-2007, 01:54 PM
I think you could tow 500 ft with a chevette!! You should be fine,,,, but that's coming from a guy who would pull it with a chevette!! haha You're probably better off waiting for another answer!!

rodltg2
04-09-2007, 02:06 PM
this is all i would need to go... depending on which lake i use.

it be nice to still have the ability to launch the boat without having to drive my truck everytime.

Sodar
04-09-2007, 02:08 PM
this is all i would need to go... depending on which lake i use.

it be nice to still have the ability to launch the boat without having to drive my truck everytime.

You can easily do it. My uncle used to drive his company car (Ford Taurus) to the lake and launch his Air Nautique with it!!

dmayer84
04-09-2007, 02:09 PM
If it has a low range for pulling up the ramp I'd think you be fine. If it doesn't you could still get up the ramp just a bit of a struggle.

JKTX21
04-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Yeah I think you'll be alright. I read / saw somewhere, in Europe they use their little hatchbacks & wagons to tow their boats.

cbryan70
04-09-2007, 02:36 PM
i bet they are diesels :-/

tommcat
04-09-2007, 03:14 PM
we've gotten a bunch of them in lately. pretty nice trucks and up until now the escape has been one of our more reliable vehicles.
in reference to towing. if it is truly only going to be 500 feet then you should be ok.

the only risk would depend on the ramp. if traction is poor (truck is in the water) and it's one of those horribly steep ramps you may not have enough vehicle weight to get it out of the water.

ski_king
04-09-2007, 03:26 PM
I have a 03 Mazda Tribute (same as the Escape) with the V6, automatic and allwheel drive. I use it as a back up for the truck when it comes to launching the boat.

As long as you have AWD and automatic you should be fine. If you have front wheel drive, I predict traction problems on wet ramps.

rodltg2
04-09-2007, 03:34 PM
the ramp has a very mellow grade, since uts a man made ski lake. however it can get slippery..

tommcat
04-09-2007, 03:34 PM
I have a 03 Mazda Tribute (same as the Escape) with the V6, automatic and allwheel drive. I use it as a back up for the truck when it comes to launching the boat.

As long as you have AWD and automatic you should be fine. If you have front wheel drive, I predict traction problems on wet ramps.make sure you actually put it in 4wd if you have the switch. letting it go in on auto can easily destroy the viscous coupling in the rear diff

tommcat
04-09-2007, 03:36 PM
the ramp has a very mellow grade, since uts a man made ski lake. however it can get slippery..
you should be fine rod. although for the little extra money i think you'd be much happier with the V6. the 4 cyl is a little underpowered.

might even consider the Hybrid if it's a company truck and you drive around town a lot

ProTour X9
04-09-2007, 04:05 PM
It should do the job:cool: