PDA

View Full Version : HVAC Considerations - New Home

Kummer
04-09-2007, 01:18 PM
After 2 years of hard work our new home is in the works. the framing is finishing up this week. I am doing a cost plus house so I have more options than most working with a GC. I am trying to select a HVAC system and have been presented with a Goodman brand unit (http://www.goodmanmfg.com)

My builder says that they are excelent units, but wanted to check with fellow TT members to see if you had any suggestions or opinions with the brand or any things to keep in mind durring the process that could be helpfull. The house is around 3300sf and looking at a 3 first floor, 2 second floor , and a 1.5 third - ton units to get the job done.

Thanks in advance.

Mag_Red
04-09-2007, 01:26 PM
My brother-in-law is in the HVAC business. He put a Goodman in my home

djhuff
04-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Goodman's are great units. You don't hear much about them in ads because they do mostly new home / builder accounts. They are also a private company (largest private mechanical co. in US). They are usually a little cheaper than a Trane, Carrier, or other "name" brands.

Kummer
04-09-2007, 04:34 PM
OK Sold! Goodman it is Now how abot SEER ratings are they worth it or joust go with the standard 14

djhuff
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Lowest is 13 now, which is much higher than than the previous minimum of 10. Personally, I'd stick with that and use teh extra money you would have spent to install a power management system. Sometimes the power company even gives discounts if you have one of these installed. Whatever you do, don't get a larger unit than you need, they are actually less efficient (in that usage) and cause a bunch of other problems in your house.