PDA

View Full Version : Dog lifejacket/PFDs recommendations please

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-09-2007, 12:36 PM
OK, I need some advice on dog life jackets or PFDs. I want to know who uses what kind and the pros and cons of them. I want to get one for the new doggie and I need help picking one out. I see that overtons and barts has them, as well as pet edge. there are neoprene styles, and nylon. What works best? I like neoprene vests for me, but are they good for dogs? they do get waterlogged and heavy, so are nylon better or worse? do either get too hot for the dogs? are there any ideas here? I would appreciate any info or help provided!:) :D

THANKS!!!:wavey:

André
04-09-2007, 12:37 PM
OK, I need some advice on dog life jackets or PFDs. I want to know who uses what kind and the pros and cons of them. I want to get one for the new doggie and I need help picking one out. I see that overtons and barts has them, as well as pet edge. there are neoprene styles, and nylon. What works best? I like neoprene vests for me, but are they good for dogs? they do get waterlogged and heavy, so are nylon better or worse? do either get too hot for the dogs? are there any ideas here? I would appreciate any info or help provided!:) :D

THANKS!!!:wavey:
Did you get a dog?:confused:
I missed that...

Danimal
04-09-2007, 12:44 PM
UMP - Don't scrimp on a life vest for your dog - I recommend the Ruff Wear one's They are around $70.00 bucks but they work and fit the dogs real well and are very low profile allowing the dog to have a full range of motion.

http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/15076/

endl
04-09-2007, 12:49 PM
I would say depends on the dog type. I would buy a neoprene if its a good swimmer, they still provide good flotation. If its not a good swimmer you buy one of those nylon type with more flotation in it. I put the neoprene on my hunting dog when its real cold and even though she is a water dog you can tell it helps her flotation.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-09-2007, 12:52 PM
And get some booties while you're at it so the pooch can jump on the seats without ripping them up.:D

04-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I missed that...
Yes, I got one. :) Sorry, I didnt formally announce it:o I adopted one from an animal shelter. gave the poor soul a nice warm loving home:)

endl
04-09-2007, 12:57 PM
And get some booties while you're at it so the pouch can jump on the seats without ripping them up.:D
Thats funny.....Little dogs ok in the boat...big dogs pain in the arse....

Sodar
04-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Yes, I got one. Sorry, I didnt formally announce it:o I adopted one from an animal shelter. gave the poor soul a nice warm loving home:)

Congrats UMP!! Lets See Some Pics!! Have you bought the dog a cape yet? :D

http://www.allcostumes.com/prodimages/R50446.jpg

André
04-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Yes, I got one. :) Sorry, I didnt formally announce it:o I adopted one from an animal shelter. gave the poor soul a nice warm loving home:)
Anyone got that"This thread is worthless without pics!" smily?:D

TX.X-30 fan
04-09-2007, 01:06 PM

So where is the dog living. :D

chevy08bud
04-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Ump, I got a neoprene lifejacket for my lab from Cabelas for when it gets real cold out for hunting. The one that I got her does have some added flotation pannels in the sides of the jacket and works real well. She is a very strong swimmer, but can't stay out of the water, and it gives me a little peace of mind when she is out in the water for hours on end. She doesn't seem to get too hot in it, and is very comfortable wearing it all day. Another nice thing is that it helps keep some of her loose fur in the jacket and out of the boat. The only drawback to this style is that it doesn't have handles for lifting them out of the water, but I have a new boat with a swim platform, so that really isn't a problem now. Hope this helps. What kind of dog?

04-09-2007, 01:25 PM
She is a mix of some sort, I guess those are called "designer dogs" nowadays:rolleyes: I call them "mutts" lovingly of course!

Bout 25 lbs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/Esther3.jpg

I totally want that cape for her!!!:headbang: :toast: TOO COOL!!!

TX.X-30 fan
04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Good looking mutt there UMP!!!

04-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks X30! she is a HOOT! what a character! so funny! I have never seen such a goofy dog ever. :)

dog paw
04-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Thats funny.....Little dogs ok in the boat...big dogs pain in the arse....

I had a sheperd that would smile all day with its ears flapping in the wind as long it was in the observers seat.

My Doberman however...... a basketcase to say the least. Not that she does not like to go out, just will not sit still. Drives ya crazy

rstitson
04-09-2007, 03:55 PM
We have an australian shepard (60lbs +0.. This one's not good in the water always heads to the nearest floating object or dry land. We got him the nylon type with flotation on the top. Fits well and keeps him at a good level to swim around. The handle on top is indespensible, as you can pick him up by it and gently toss him in the water with no scratching. He pops to top and is good. The funny thing about him is if you put him on a tube and tow him around (slow) he stands and feels as safe as can be...loves it.

X2M
04-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Congratulations UMP! :) She is a cutie. :) Doxie/Beagle mix?

We have to use and adult sixe xlarge life jacket for Cooper when he's on the boat...couldn't find a dog one that would fit him. We prefer the nylon over the neoprene for him. He gets to hot in the neoprene. I would definitely look for one that has a handle on top. They are a big help when getting the dog out of the water.

pram
04-09-2007, 04:05 PM
UMP that is one nice lookin dog you got your self there. So where is the poll so that all of us here at TT can name her?????

Come on get on it that dog needs a name..

How about
- animal after your boots ?
- accurate like your rope ?
- spotter?
- third?

captain planet
04-09-2007, 04:15 PM
UMP, nice looking dog.

We got one of those nylon jackets for our Black Lab. (Yea, I know, what dog swims better than a Lab) It has one of the handles on it so pulling her up on the platform is easy. Not only that, when your parked for hours on end and she won't stay out of the water, it keeps my mind at ease.

It also gives us piece of mind when she swims over to shore to do her business. Although, funny thing is, I think she has learned to relax her back legs and go #1 while swimming with her front paws. 8p Took us a while to figure out what she was doing, but she has perfected the maneuver.

04-09-2007, 04:16 PM
UMP that is one nice lookin dog you got your self there. So where is the poll so that all of us here at TT can name her?????

Come on get on it that dog needs a name..

How about
- animal after your boots ?
- accurate like your rope ?
- spotter?
- third?

Ooooo! I like that!

how bout "Monza"? :cool:

Well, she already has a name, so I am sticking with that. :o

I am certainly hoping she will be our spotter this summer. going by what she is exhibiting so far, I think she will really adapt well to riding in the boat. she is very easy to adapt to things so far. Rides in the truck like a champ. dont make a fuss at all. just looks around, or lies down and relaxes. I think she is going to be a good boat dog. She seems to like to stand on top of things, so I got a hunch that she is going to want to stand on the engine cover at idle speed. she is going to need to learn to sit with the observer during skiing of course.

pram
04-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Is it a secret that only you moderator types know then:confused:

Ric
04-09-2007, 04:24 PM
I missed that... I missed that too:confused:

did you get a dog that cannot swim?

04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Is it a secret that only you moderator types know then:confused:
Typically.....;) ;)

Ric
04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Yes, I got one. :) Sorry, I didnt formally announce it:o I adopted one from an animal shelter. gave the poor soul a nice warm loving home:) was this the big announcement and move that had you all busy last week ump? adopting a dog?

04-09-2007, 04:27 PM
I missed that too:confused:

did you get a dog that cannot swim?
I dont know Ric. I just think its a good idea at least in the beginning until I know how she reacts in the boat. I have no idea if she will jump out if she shes a duck or a stick or something. I want her to be safe. You know me Ric, I worry about and prepare for everthing!:o

04-09-2007, 04:28 PM
was this the big announcement and move that had you all busy last week ump? adopting a dog?
Yes it was. plus, I was sick with a nasty headcold too. so thats why I wasnt on here much.

Ric
04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
good looking dog ump
step 1 throw the dog in the water and see if he swims.

step 2 replace the dog if he does not resurface after 2 minutes

Mag_Red
04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Congrats on the dog UMP! Is she/he coming to MM III??

04-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Congrats on the dog UMP! Is she/he coming to MM III??
thanks Mag! :) I doubt she will attend MMIII. My mom and dad are already claiming all dog sitting rights anytime I need to leave town. They adore her and are just waiting for the need to arise for me to let her stay with them. :)

ski_king
04-09-2007, 04:55 PM
....... gave the poor soul a nice warm loving home:)
Isn't Ms UMP doing the same thing with you?

Hrkdrivr
04-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Several people have mentioned it already, but make sure it has HANDLES! Doggies have no respect for gel-coat and when they decide they want to get back into the boat they'll doggie-paddle (read "scrape") their little hearts out until they feel solid deck under foot.

Maristar210
04-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Oooh I feel privledged. I got the visuals and the low down this morning why alls yoos cats was sleepin' n ****.

04-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Isn't Ms UMP doing the same thing with you?
Ooooo!! Ski king shoots, and he scores! Nice jab king!

8p 8p 8p

TX.X-30 fan
04-09-2007, 05:34 PM
good looking dog ump

Ric, your posts remain well thought out and reasoned as allways. Keep up the good work. :rolleyes: 8p

TMCNo1
04-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Anyone got that"This thread is worthless without pics!" smily?:D
I duz,......................

Leroy
04-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Nice dog UMP! I've never seen a dog that could not swim. Of course some like it more than others.

TMCNo1
04-09-2007, 05:44 PM
good looking dog ump

I am sitting on the floor, laughing MAO, tears coming from my eyes, and I am about numb all over to the point I can hardly type.

UMP, we love Ester the dog!

dapicatti
04-09-2007, 10:43 PM

I am so impressed that you adopted a shelter dog. It seems to be a recurring theme here on TT. I hope you have a wonderful companion for many years to come.

LakePirate
04-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Be careful with the ones with handles. Doofus has one with handles and he got bruised last year from me picking him up...of course he has about 60 lbs on Esther.

RexDog1
04-09-2007, 11:05 PM
good looking dog ump

OMG......................................she is so funny...lol

congrats UMP nice dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

milkmania
04-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Oooh I feel privledged. I got the visuals and the low down this morning why alls yoos cats was sleepin' n ****.

me too.....almost deleted before opening since it came from an unknown domain8p

peason
04-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Way to UMP! Here is a picture of Monty - we adopted him a year ago this Easter. He has been a great addition to the family! And besides that he likew beer too!

milkmania
04-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Way to UMP! Here is a picture of Monty - we adopted him a year ago this Easter. He has been a great addition to the family! And besides that he likew beer too!

I've seen those collars.....
do they seems to work?

no, I don't need them for my poodles:o:rolleyes:

peason
04-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Yes, the collar works. We don't use it too much anymore - he was quite the puppy when we first got him, but he learned quickly and stays pretty close to you when we walk him now. Collar goes great with the picture though - chains and beer!

04-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Yes, the collar works. We don't use it too much anymore - he was quite the puppy when we first got him, but he learned quickly and stays pretty close to you when we walk him now. Collar goes great with the picture though - chains and beer!
Yea, he looks like a bad arse! He can wear a leather jacket, smoke cigarettes and sit at the cool kids lunch table with us!:cool: :cool: 8p

04-10-2007, 09:35 AM
I am so impressed that you adopted a shelter dog. It seems to be a recurring theme here on TT. I hope you have a wonderful companion for many years to come.
thanks!! I wanted to "save" a dog. I think those poor little buggers deserve a good loving home, and I wanted to do my part to provide one for a dog that needed a second chance.

TMCNo1
04-10-2007, 11:16 AM
thanks!! I wanted to "save" a dog. I think those poor little buggers deserve a good loving home, and I wanted to do my part to provide one for a dog that needed a second chance.

UMP, you told us, you and Ester were going to watch a movie last night. How did that go? Was it a funny movie and did Ester LOL during it? If so, I want to know what you two were smoking and the name of the movie!:D :rolleyes: 8p

JDK
04-10-2007, 02:36 PM
OK, I need some advice on dog life jackets or PFDs.

Why does a dog need a pfd???
Have you EVER heard of a dog drowning in a boating accident/incident???
I haven't.

04-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Why does a dog need a pfd???
Have you EVER heard of a dog drowning in a boating accident/incident???
I haven't.
I have never heard of a dog being involved in a boating accident. I am just trying to be cautious.

04-10-2007, 02:46 PM
UMP, you told us, you and Ester were going to watch a movie last night. How did that go? Was it a funny movie and did Ester LOL during it? If so, I want to know what you two were smoking and the name of the movie!:D :rolleyes: 8p
Nah, me and Esther watched "24" instead. after dinner she played with her tennis ball on the floor, and then we went outside so she could run around a while. by the time I got my chores, dinner, and her stuff done, it was time to watch 24. maybe a movie tonite. I got "Taps" for easter from Ms. UMP , so I may watch that.

Ric
04-10-2007, 02:56 PM
awwwwwwwwww

04-10-2007, 03:18 PM
awwwwwwwwww
Got enough W's in there Ric?

:rolleyes:

nuckinfutz
04-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Our pocket pooch with doggles and Life jacket.....

http://www.telcon-solutions.com/wakeboarding/Saftey_First.jpg

milkmania
04-10-2007, 10:02 PM

...............slowly backs out of this threadhttp://www.rejectsworld.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/laughing4.gif

Monte
04-10-2007, 10:05 PM

http://www.telcon-solutions.com/wakeboarding/Saftey_First.jpg

UMP the super dog outfit you need is HERE...............:D

04-11-2007, 09:35 AM
UMP the super dog outfit you need is HERE...............:D
OH YEA! throw a cape on that pooch and we are talkin side kick! Maybe mom can make her a cape! Nuckin Futz, where did you get those doggles for her? those are awesome! Great pic!!!

Ric
04-11-2007, 09:49 AM

Futz, that is one loyal dog..... I'd bite your ankle through if I were him

nuckinfutz
04-11-2007, 11:09 AM
She actually loves the doggles. Keeps the wind out of her eys when she's up front on the bow. Ill ask the GF where she got them.

Ric
04-11-2007, 11:38 AM
TMC just posted an announcement about a movie called updog and I was certain as I opened the thread, it'd be about ump's dog :(

Datdude
04-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Drs. Fosters and Smith (pet supply company) sells Doggles.

May I also recommend an Invisble Fence for your pooch. It is a miracle product that will keep your dog safe at home

TMCNo1
04-11-2007, 12:54 PM
TMC just posted an announcement about a movie called updog and I was certain as I opened the thread, it'd be about ump's dog :(

Thunk the same thing, Oh no, this can get good!:D

milkmania
04-12-2007, 11:24 AM
one coooooool lookin dog!

http://www.furlongspetsupply.com/images/Doggles%20Bull%20Dog.jpg

milkmania
04-12-2007, 11:26 AM
doggles AND PFD's all in one place:rolleyes:

http://www.chiwawagaga.com/safety.html

04-12-2007, 11:36 AM
awesome!! those doggles rule!! hilarious!!

milkmania
04-12-2007, 11:41 AM
awesome!! those doggles rule!! hilarious!!

yeah, and they're a lot cheaper than I figured they'd be

pram
04-19-2007, 05:05 PM
UMP how is the new addition to your family doing? Any updated pictures to share with us here?

Ric
04-19-2007, 05:16 PM
doggles AND PFD's all in one place:rolleyes:

http://www.chiwawagaga.com/safety.html hahhahah AND dog seat belts UMP you will need one of those too!

pram
04-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Here it is, the seatbelt for the puppy

04-19-2007, 09:07 PM
UMP how is the new addition to your family doing? Any updated pictures to share with us here?
Doing fine Pram! Thanks for asking! She is really a great dog. She is learning to fit in to the schedule and lifestyle here just fine. I dont have any new pictures yet. I will try to get some new ones. :) she is full of spirit. I am interested in seeing how she reacts to being on the boat. I hope that goes well. Given what I am seen from her so far, I think she will be fine.

04-19-2007, 09:08 PM
hahhahah AND dog seat belts UMP you will need one of those too!
you think so Ric? do you have one for your dog?

pram
04-20-2007, 12:45 PM
UMP, glad to hear that everything is working out well with your new four legged friend. I am sure that she will take to the boat and you will have a permanent spotter

TMCNo1
04-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Doing fine Pram! Thanks for asking! She is really a great dog. She is learning to fit in to the schedule and lifestyle here just fine. I dont have any new pictures yet. I will try to get some new ones. :) she is full of spirit. I am interested in seeing how she reacts to being on the boat. I hope that goes well. Given what I am seen from her so far, I think she will be fine.

UMP, if she jumps out of the boat and into the water and swims straight to the bottom of the lake, I would think that would tell you something!:D

pram
06-07-2007, 06:36 PM
UMP how is Ester doing? Haven't had any updates in a awhile. Fill us in on your new found friend.

Sodar
06-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Lets see some pics of the K-9 in a lifejacket and UMP in a cape!!

pram
06-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Lets see some pics of the K-9 in a lifejacket and UMP in a cape!!

Now that would be poster worthy IMO :D :D