PDA

View Full Version : 84 S&S fixer upper

milkmania
04-08-2007, 10:48 PM
kinda high, kinda rough....
but the guy may come down depending on how long he's been sitting on it:rolleyes:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/boatsforsale/

found it in google, searching for something else

edit:
another one.....
little bit better shape, little bit higher
http://www.buyandsellboats.com/boats/for-sale/10375/

Willski
04-08-2007, 11:01 PM
My boat has to be worth double based on condition. It is kind of sad, the state that that boat is in, but it can probably be fixed up. FL, though, I wonder if it has seen salt water without proper care!

O2BESOHUGE
04-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Hes Got The Teak Platform Brackets Upside Down IN THE FIRST PIC!

trickskier
04-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Hes Got The Teak Platform Brackets Upside Down IN THE FIRST PIC!
I wonder if the OEM's failed and he had to add extra support?

O2BESOHUGE
04-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Simple Physics...if Those Are The Only Brackets - As Soon As Someone Puts Weight On It, The Screws Are Going To Strip Out Of The Wood

O2BESOHUGE
04-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Thats About A Fair Price Though...there Are Rougher Ones In My Area That Cost More Than That One

trickskier
04-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Simple Physics...if Those Are The Only Brackets - As Soon As Someone Puts Weight On It, The Screws Are Going To Strip Out Of The Wood
Unless he has them through bolted.

dog paw
04-09-2007, 10:45 AM
I dunno that does not look to hatefull for a 84. Those are not the stock brackets for a 84 on the platform. My guess is he had a "pull through" and patched it up half baked.Has one oddball speedo wrong steering wheel and a different shift handle too

I see the other one has a closed cooling system?

WilliM1940
04-09-2007, 10:57 AM
That is an '85 and really not too bad except for the trailer which needs work. It is an '85 because no Mastercraft boats decal in the stern, replaced by a star, and the gas fill is on the left looking from the back. Interior appears to be original. How many hours, what condition the motor, if all that is good and the floor isn't heaved, that is a nice boat.

O2BESOHUGE
04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Also, With It Being A Florida Boat, Was It Ever In Salt Water?

dog paw
04-09-2007, 03:44 PM
That is an '85 and really not too bad except for the trailer which needs work. It is an '85 because no Mastercraft boats decal in the stern, replaced by a star, and the gas fill is on the left looking from the back. Interior appears to be original. How many hours, what condition the motor, if all that is good and the floor isn't heaved, that is a nice boat.

Huh? We must be looking at diff pics Thats identical to the 84 in my garage other than the hooptie platfom mounts, and whatever that chrome thingnie is to the right of the vent:)

pilot02
04-09-2007, 04:16 PM

Whether the brackets are mounted above or below is not going to make a dif on strength. Same leverage factor on the platform.

Seriously though, that boat will need a transom. Obivously, the original lag bolts pulled through and instead of repairing correctly, they went the easy way out.
I'd bet it needs a lot more structural work as well..

ski_king
04-09-2007, 04:17 PM
.....It is an '85 because no Mastercraft boats decal in the stern, replaced by a star, and the gas fill is on the left looking from the back. .......

Nice catch, the yin/yang decal has been replaced with a star.
http://www.tmcowners.com/market/data/13/766000_0014.jpg

I thought the 82 thru 86 had the fuel fill on the right (starboard) and the anchor light on the left (port)
Dogpaw, which way is yours?

dog paw
04-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Nice catch, the yin/yang decal has been replaced with a star.
http://www.tmcowners.com/market/data/13/766000_0014.jpg

I thought the 82 thru 86 had the fuel fill on the right (starboard) and the anchor light on the left (port)
Dogpaw, which way is yours?

Mine is on the left just like that one Huumm, No ying yang on mine either.....

2000205V
04-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Whether the brackets are mounted above or below is not going to make a dif on strength. Same leverage factor on the platform.

Seriously though, that boat will need a transom. Obivously, the original lag bolts pulled through and instead of repairing correctly, they went the easy way out.
I'd bet it needs a lot more structural work as well..

The brackets themselves may be just as solid but the mounting to the platform is probably 1/4 the strength it was. Even with a throughbolt the mounting is extremely weak.

When the brackets are ontop ... the weight is carried by the fasteners (usually the weakest part of any joint).

When the brackets are on the bottom the weight is carried by the teak platform. The fasteners just simply keep it from falling off the brackets and floating away but will take as much weight as you can give it.

WilliM1940
04-09-2007, 10:42 PM
I'd like to get a couple of those ying yangs for my '85 anyway, even if it isn't official for the year. I have a black stripe, needs color. My fill is on the port, the same as the one pictured, reversed from all '84's I have seen pictures of. I think this is when they changed the gas tanks from metal to poly.

Willski
04-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Mine is on the left just like that one Huumm, No ying yang on mine either.....

My fuel fill is on the starboard side. 1984. Check out my pics in my profile. I believe my platform mounts were aftermarket, but I'm pretty certain they are the only ones that have ever been on the boat. I have skied behind the boat since 1988, bought it in 1997.