PDA

View Full Version : LQ-9 Raw Water Pump

BoulderX45
04-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Could someone please tell me how the LQ-9 raw water pump works? I'm going to assume this raw water pump is in the same place as a "water pump" on a car. It is not a separate pump like a ballast pump. I also would like someone to confirm this pump is fed from a brass fitting on the port side to the motor with a brass shutoff. The reason I ask is I was taking the boat out Friday and was warming it up at dock side as a buddy parked the truck. I noticed some steam from the back of the boat and an odd smell. I opened the engine cover and the collant line running to the radiator cap, that attached to the overflow container, had melted on the water/exhaust manifold. I also noticed the overflow tube, on the overflow cantainer ,had also melted on the other water/exhaust manifold because it is inserted between the manifold and the block. I shut the motor down and started looking for reasons the manifolds were not getting water. I opened two valves, one on starbird side (ballast pump feeding tube?), and one on port side that went to the water pump area. This is a new 06 X45 and only my fourth time out. I never had this problem before, but I just got it back from the dealer for some warranty work. It worked fine after opening the valves so I just want to confirm.

BoulderX45

Engine Nut
04-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Could someone please tell me how the LQ-9 raw water pump works? I'm going to assume this raw water pump is in the same place as a "water pump" on a car. It is not a separate pump like a ballast pump. I also would like someone to confirm this pump is fed from a brass fitting on the port side to the motor with a brass shutoff. The reason I ask is I was taking the boat out Friday and was warming it up at dock side as a buddy parked the truck. I noticed some steam from the back of the boat and an odd smell. I opened the engine cover and the collant line running to the radiator cap, that attached to the overflow container, had melted on the water/exhaust manifold. I also noticed the overflow tube, on the overflow cantainer ,had also melted on the other water/exhaust manifold because it is inserted between the manifold and the block. I shut the motor down and started looking for reasons the manifolds were not getting water. I opened two valves, one on starbird side (ballast pump feeding tube?), and one on port side that went to the water pump area. This is a new 06 X45 and only my fourth time out. I never had this problem before, but I just got it back from the dealer for some warranty work. It worked fine after opening the valves so I just want to confirm.

BoulderX45

The LQ9 is equipped with a half-system fresh water cooling system. It has a heat exchanger that uses water from the lake or river to remove the heat from the anti-freeze that is in the engine block. There is a raw water pump that is driven by the crankshaft that pulls water from the lake. It also has a circulating pump on the engine, like a car or truck, that circulates anti-freeze through the engine block. It is very possible that there is a (valve) sea-**** near the water inlet on the raw water side of the cooling system. If that valve is not open, raw water cannot be pulled into the water raw water pump and pushed through the heat exchanger causing an overheat. If you ran the engine for more than a minute without water, you most certainly damaged the raw water pump impeller. It still may work but it will be at a diminished capacity. Get it changed right away. I would suggest taking your boat to the dealer and have him check for pieces of the impeller where they don't belong.

Engine Nut