PDA

View Full Version : Drowned my BlackBerry

JohnnyB
04-08-2007, 06:24 PM
So yesterday a buddy and I are at the game farm scratch hunting pheasants. We actually did pretty well as we put up a dozen and came out with 11.

There's a drainage ditch at the back of the 600 acre property and a narrow strip (100yds wide or so) on the other side. It's a great place to pick up strays. At the end of the morning we were crossing back over. Now this ditch is about 3ft from the bank down to the water and the water is just a tick below waist deep. So my buddy goes first jumping across a narrow spot while I hold his shotgun. Then, I stand on his launching spot and hand him both shotguns. Right after I hand him mine, the bank gives way underneath me and I go in the stream up to my waist. At this point, my buddy yells...grab your cell phone. I took it out of my pocket (knee pocket in the carpenter style brush pants) and then waded up stream about 5 yards to a wider point with a bank that's easier to climb. We then walked about a mile back to the clubhouse. Surprisingly everything above my boots was kept dry by the brush pants but my boots filled up :eek: It was 31 degrees yesterday.

When I got home last night, I blew the water out of the phone with a hair dryer and put it in a bag of instant rice. I then put my boots on the boot dryer.

This morning the boots were dry so I put the phone in one of the boots and put it back on the dryer.

Tomorrow I'll try powering it up....got a feeling I'm going to ask my employer to buy me another BlackBerry :(

JohnnyB
04-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Oh yea, there's definately a water release dye packet in the phone because it released red dye into the battery compartment clearly showing that I sunk the phone.

bigmac
04-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Oh yea, there's definately a water release dye packet in the phone because it released red dye into the battery compartment clearly showing that I sunk the phone.Oh. So much for the warranty claim....

Almost all phones have at least one dye indicator, most have several. It's usually a little 3/8 inch round white sticker. Usually they're under the battery, on the mainboard, and on the battery. Some have them on the LCD screen too.

Best thing to do if the phone goes into the drink is a) immediately pull the battery b)dry off as much as possible with a towel c) pour some 90% alcohol (not 70% rubbing alcohol), a LOT of it, through the phone. d) set it in a food dehydrator, back or your computer monitor, air conditioning vent or a boot dryer (great idea) and don't re-insert the battery or power up for three days.

The alcohol may loosen some of the stickers and labels, but it will absorb the water and may wash away the minerals in the water and keep them from causing shorts. Some people advocate putting a little of that frosty Scotch tape over the water indicator they can see as soon as they get the phone to keep lesser moisture like sweat from triggering it, but as I mentioned, many phones have those indicators elsewhere where only the techs can see them and a dunking or enough sweat wil trigger them all and void the warranty or replacement agreement.

milkmania
04-08-2007, 07:15 PM
dang, learned something again

only scary part, is new knowledge seems to push the old knowledge out:o

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-08-2007, 07:21 PM
only scary part, is new knowledge seems to push the old knowledge out:oThere is only room for so much.....gotta be careful with what you take in
:rolleyes:

JohnnyB
04-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Oh. So much for the warranty claim....

c) pour some 90% alcohol (not 70% rubbing alcohol), a LOT of it, through the phone.

I toweled the Blackberry off in the clubhouse. Then I poured lots of alcohol though my system.....it dehydrated me but didn't seem to help the phone :D

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-08-2007, 07:39 PM
That 90% alcohol would make it 180 proof.....no wonder you were dehydrated!

JohnnyB
04-08-2007, 08:44 PM
That 90% alcohol would make it 180 proof.....no wonder you were dehydrated!

I just pour the alcohol, I don't look to see what proof it is. However, if I'd have been drinking 90 proof I probably wouldn't have made it home. Lots of beers and a couple shots of tequila. :D