PDA

View Full Version : Check your valve stems!

WakeSeeky
04-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Instead of skiing yesterday, we got to hang out on the side of the freeway and then at Discount tire. Thankfully the only casualty was the tire itself, even the rim was not damaged. We got a pretty good close-up of a concrete barrier though, just to get the adrenaline pumping. :eek: Turns out we're missing the spare tire key, so we got to meet a nice highway patrolman and a nice tow truck driver too.

Anyway, the valve stem apparently came off on this tire. When we got to Discount, all three remaining valve stems were also cracked. Interestingly, we took the truck in for service less than two weeks ago, including tire rotation and "inspection".

WakeSeeky
04-08-2007, 02:34 PM
And here's another picture. When we got to Discount one of the workers walking through the lot says, "Oh, yeah, we can patch that!" 8p

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Not only on your tow vehicle, but your trailer too!

Past thread on trailer stems (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9366&highlight=valve+stems)

WakeSeeky
04-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Not only on your tow vehicle, but your trailer too!

Past thread on trailer stems (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9366&highlight=valve+stems)

Believe me, it is something we plan to check regularly on ALL our tires now. I'd rather not go through that again!

Toober Tom
04-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Wow, that looks bad, glad everybody is OK.

Remember to check the valve stems on you toob also!

WakeSeeky
04-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Wow, that looks bad, glad everybody is OK.

Remember to check the valve stems on you toob also!

Thanks for the kind words... I guess a blowout on a toob would be pretty bad too! 8p

Leroy
04-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Glad everything ended up safe!

That seems like a rare problem and then to have it on the other 3 tires? I would want to know why these failed. Wrong stem for those rims, bad stems?

JohnnyB
04-08-2007, 06:38 PM
And here's another picture. When we got to Discount one of the workers walking through the lot says, "Oh, yeah, we can patch that!" 8p

I think I would've busted out laughing.....humor is so helpful when there's really nothing else you can do :D

Glad that didn't wind up with something serious happening!!1

kdr
04-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Had one fail on my trailer in January. Luckily, it was in the garage at the time.

WakeSeeky
04-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Glad everything ended up safe!

That seems like a rare problem and then to have it on the other 3 tires? I would want to know why these failed. Wrong stem for those rims, bad stems?

Little curious about that myself... particularly since we literally JUST had the tires rotated and inspected. Truck was purchase used, dealer had the lift/rims/tires professionally installed by a local company that specializes. I have no reason to suspect they didn't know what they're doing, they have a good reputation.

We're wondering if, during the rotation process, the dealer damaged the valves? At the very least I can't believe all four went bad in less than two weeks, seems like this should have been mentioned. :rolleyes:

WakeSeeky
04-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I think I would've busted out laughing.....humor is so helpful when there's really nothing else you can do :D

Glad that didn't wind up with something serious happening!!1

Thanks, we cracked up! Manager at Discount apologized, as it took awhile to get a tire from another store. I told him I'd wait all day with a grin on my face, I was so thankful to be off the freeway median!

WakeSeeky
04-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Oh, should also add, this is maybe not as rare here as it might be some places, I really don't know. The climate here is very hard on rubber. I've lived in the desert so long I think it's normal to replace your wiper blades every year. :o

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Little curious about that myself... particularly since we literally JUST had the tires rotated and inspected. Truck was purchase used, dealer had the lift/rims/tires professionally installed by a local company that specializes. I have no reason to suspect they didn't know what they're doing, they have a good reputation.

We're wondering if, during the rotation process, the dealer damaged the valves? At the very least I can't believe all four went bad in less than two weeks, seems like this should have been mentioned. :rolleyes:

I couldn't notice the cracking on the trailer valve stems real well unless I bent them a little bit. If you need them on you boat trailer, have them replaced with the high pressure valve stems.

WakeSeeky
04-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I couldn't notice the cracking on the trailer valve stems real well unless I bent them a little bit. If you need them on you boat trailer, have them replaced with the high pressure valve stems.

Exactly, a visual inspection isn't good enough. I have a picture (of course I do) but I don't know how well it'll show up. Shouldn't the dealer, in the course of a tire rotation and inspection go ahead and give the stems a little wiggle?

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Shouldn't the dealer, in the course of a tire rotation and inspection go ahead and give the stems a little wiggle?

You'd think so...

Chief
04-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Been in that situation before. Heading east on I10 I noticed my tire looking pretty lame. I got to I95 North and noticed the tire was almost flat. I had to take the first off ramp on 95 from I10 and found that the valve stems were cracked at the rim. I don't know if you know the area of the I10 and I95 exchange but its no place to be at anytime. Also it was about 100 degrees!

I found that all three tires had failing stems but the spare held out until I got home. I lost ten pounds in sweat and kept my eyes peeled for crack heads and thugs while changing tire.

WakeSeeky
04-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Been in that situation before. Heading east on I10 I noticed my tire looking pretty lame. I got to I95 North and noticed the tire was almost flat. I had to take the first off ramp on 95 from I10 and found that the valve stems were cracked at the rim. I don't know if you know the area of the I10 and I95 exchange but its no place to be at anytime. Also it was about 100 degrees!

I found that all three tires had failing stems but the spare held out until I got home. I lost ten pounds in sweat and kept my eyes peeled for crack heads and thugs while changing tire.

If you mean I-15, I do know where you're talking about and don't envy you stopping there for any reason. Funny thing is, it was probably around 90 and we were saying "Boy, I'm sure glad it's not hot yet!" Guess it's all perspective, isn't it? :D

We got lucky and learned a lesson for only the cost of one tire. Hopefully someone else will check before they get even that far.:)

trickskier
04-09-2007, 12:28 PM
How old were the valve stems? Not trying to be smart, but the rubber seal on a valve stem deteriorates over time and needs to changed. I change mine when I get new tires which is about every 2 years. I really like the ones below. They have a nut you tighten for a better seal. A little expensive, but worth the price if you ask me.

Sodar
04-09-2007, 12:33 PM

HA HA HA!! That is one SCARY road... especially at night! Some family friends have a house 15 miles North of I-10 on the 95... Last summer, I had the opportunity to stay at their house for a weekend, but due to some prior engagements, I had to pick my boat up from Barstow and drop south on the 95 from I-40. We ended up driving through Needles about 2 am and about 30 minutes down the 95, near Vidal, we see this total crackhead riding his bike down the center of the road, so I slow down, and wait for him to move over for me to pass... the guy never gets over!! So I just pass him on the left and keep on going. The next morning, we wake up and decide to go into Blythe for breakfast and the same guy is passed out beside the road, in the sand with a blue tarp over him!! Crackheads in the desert... gotta love 'em!! :D

trickskier
04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
HA HA HA!! That is one SCARY road... especially at night! Some family friends have a house 15 miles North of I-10 on the 95... Last summer, I had the opportunity to stay at their house for a weekend, but due to some prior engagements, I had to pick my boat up from Barstow and drop south on the 95 from I-40. We ended up driving through Needles about 2 am and about 30 minutes down the 95, near Vidal, we see this total crackhead riding his bike down the center of the road, so I slow down, and wait for him to move over for me to pass... the guy never gets over!! So I just pass him on the left and keep on going. The next morning, we wake up and decide to go into Blythe for breakfast and the same guy is passed out beside the road, in the sand with a blue tarp over him!! Crackheads in the desert... gotta love 'em!! :D
I think you're talking about somewhere else. The intersection crosby is referring to is I-10 & I-95 in Jacksonville, FL. This is where I-10 ends and you have to decide if you're going to go North or South on I-95.

Sodar
04-09-2007, 01:05 PM
I think you're talking about somewhere else. The intersection crosby is referring to is I-10 & I-95 in Jacksonville, FL. This is where I-10 ends and you have to decide if you're going to go North or South on I-95.

I think he could be talking about either one because back in the day, crosby lived in Southern California... making the I-10 and 95 junction a possible route on the way to the river.... Who knows!!

WakeSeeky
04-09-2007, 03:58 PM
How old were the valve stems? Not trying to be smart, but the rubber seal on a valve stem deteriorates over time and needs to changed. I change mine when I get new tires which is about every 2 years. I really like the ones below. They have a nut you tighten for a better seal. A little expensive, but worth the price if you ask me.

Well NOW the valve stems are going on almost 48 hours old... the valve stems that went bad were about two years old and yes, in need of replacement. That's the sort of thing I kind of expected the dealer to mention when they're supposedly inspecting the tires, since that's what I paid them to do. Yeah, believe me I know rubber deteriorates, here the tires themselves don't last more than about 4 years. Which is one of the reasons we have them regularly rotated, etc. Well, Discount will be doing that from now on, apparently the dealer can't handle it. :rolleyes:

We visually inspect the tires every time we head for the lake. We have a slow leak in one tire, so it's just part of the routine. It just never occurred to us to actually wiggle the valve stem & see what kind of shape it was in. Lesson learned. I just hope to spare someone else the same experience.

WakeSeeky
04-09-2007, 03:59 PM
I think he could be talking about either one because back in the day, crosby lived in Southern California... making the I-10 and 95 junction a possible route on the way to the river.... Who knows!!

I think there's a lesson here about freeways crossing, anyway. 8p

trickskier
04-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Well NOW the valve stems are going on almost 48 hours old... the valve stems that went bad were about two years old and yes, in need of replacement. That's the sort of thing I kind of expected the dealer to mention when they're supposedly inspecting the tires, since that's what I paid them to do. Yeah, believe me I know rubber deteriorates, here the tires themselves don't last more than about 4 years. Which is one of the reasons we have them regularly rotated, etc. Well, Discount will be doing that from now on, apparently the dealer can't handle it. :rolleyes:

We visually inspect the tires every time we head for the lake. We have a slow leak in one tire, so it's just part of the routine. It just never occurred to us to actually wiggle the valve stem & see what kind of shape it was in. Lesson learned. I just hope to spare someone else the same experience.

Obviously he was only concerned in collecting your MONEY. Sounds like you did the proper pretrip inspection. I don't think it will ever happen to you again. And hopefully to anyone else by you starting this thread, thanks......:D

WakeSeeky
04-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Obviously he was only concerned in collecting your MONEY. Sounds like you did the proper pretrip inspection. I don't think it will ever happen to you again. And hopefully to anyone else by you starting this thread, thanks......:D

Well, obviously our inspection wasn't quite complete... :o

It's something we'll check from here on out, and hopefully this will save someone else the same adventure. :)

Leroy
04-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Wakeseeky; You don't have some little kids around that like playing with valve stems do you? Or even bigger kids.....

M-Funf
04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
I inspect my valve stems every time I change the oil in my cars (5k miles). I know that when the wheels are spinning, the valve stems flex over and actually touch the rim. I know because the metal caps leave a small mark on the wheel. That continuous flexing will cause the rubber to fail, probably faster in your climate. The stems on my boat trailer start to crack faster. I'm not sure why. It might be exposure to the sun, or water, or that they sit for long periods of time without moving (relative to my car tires).

WakeSeeky
04-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Wakeseeky; You don't have some little kids around that like playing with valve stems do you? Or even bigger kids.....

You know, I thought of that... I can't rule out the possibility, but the three remaining valve stems looked cracked, not cut. Now, they were old enough that someone could have just bent them I suppose?? It seems unlikely in our neighborhood, but I guess you never know. Put it this way, no neighborhood feuds that I know of. :D

Ryan
04-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Wow! How did I miss this thread? It's been a while since I lived in the dessert, I forget how much it can mess with your stuff.

Glad you're all ok. Sucks for the tire, or your wallet. Those aren't the cheapest ones on the rack to replace.

WakeSeeky
04-10-2007, 02:03 PM
I inspect my valve stems every time I change the oil in my cars (5k miles). I know that when the wheels are spinning, the valve stems flex over and actually touch the rim. I know because the metal caps leave a small mark on the wheel. That continuous flexing will cause the rubber to fail, probably faster in your climate. The stems on my boat trailer start to crack faster. I'm not sure why. It might be exposure to the sun, or water, or that they sit for long periods of time without moving (relative to my car tires).

Since we have a slow leak in one tire we'll probably end up checking them every time we air up, every few weeks. Air pressure gets checked in all the tires anyway and this will end up taking an extra 30 seconds. Of course, you may not need to feed your tires as often. :D

WakeSeeky
04-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Wow! How did I miss this thread? It's been a while since I lived in the dessert, I forget how much it can mess with your stuff.

Glad you're all ok. Sucks for the tire, or your wallet. Those aren't the cheapest ones on the rack to replace.

Thanks, we're very thankful as well. I'm still amazed that nothing except the tire was damaged, not even the rim. I didn't WANT to buy a new tire, but it could have been much worse. On the whole, though, I'd rather have replaced the valve stems, they are a LOT cheaper than a new tire. :(

WakeSeeky
04-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Wow! How did I miss this thread?

Oh, and probably the same way I missed your moving thread. :o Hope that is all going well for you!

Ryan
04-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Oh, and probably the same way I missed your moving thread. :o Hope that is all going well for you!

We close on our house this friday! Looks like our Grand Western Reunion was a one-hit wonder. ;)

WakeSeeky
04-10-2007, 02:29 PM
We close on our house this friday! Looks like our Grand Western Reunion was a one-hit wonder. ;)

Yeah, kinda not much of a reunion with just us & Vegas. 8p Congrats on the house and good luck with the move, hope everything goes well and the new position works out for you!