PDA

View Full Version : Adding MTS to My 1997 Prostar

BrianM
04-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I think I am going to add an MTS style system to my '97 since we ski with just a skier and driver often. Plus I think it would be a cool addition to my boat and not all that hard to do. I have seen it discussed before that buying the parts from MC is crazy expensive so I am going to source everything myself. Also want to use a soft ballast bag instead of the hard tank. So here is a list of things I think I need.

Ballast Bag
Pump
3 way switch
Misc Wire (for power, switch, etc)
Through hull Fitting
Misc hose (to plumb it all up)

I knowing nothing about ballast so give me an idea of how to plumb this. Through hull fitting for intake obviously (was planning to put in near the drain hole directly opposite of Perfect Pass paddle wheel. Can I push the water back out this way and/or use the same bilge drain through hull for draining? I figure reversable pump so I will only need one there. Switch is self explanitory. What is a source for a custom sac. Want one that is 150 lbs and fairly narrow. Anything else I am missing?

dmayer84
04-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Going to need a vent too.

erkoehler
04-08-2007, 01:50 PM
you are also going to need to mount the pump somewhere. I woukd add two thru hull fittings above the water. One as a vent and one as a empty.

BrianM
04-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Does the vent just run from the top of the bag to the outside? I haven't looked for an exact location but I was thinking that I would mount the pump in the bilge kind of next to the pylon. There is a brace for the floor around there that I could mount to I think. So the pump would be up off the floor of the bilge. Keep the ideas coming people.

erkoehler
04-08-2007, 02:11 PM
yes that is correct. water will come out the vent once the bag is completely full.

BrianM
04-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Any reason I wouldn't be able to use this bag? Shouldn't I be able to permenantly plumb this in. The size and dimensions are about perfect. 150# 10"x14"x28"

http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/PROD/wakeboard_boat_ballast/launch_pad_link_block_xl_07

BrianM
04-08-2007, 02:39 PM
If I use a reversable pump can't the inlet and outlet use the same through hull fitting?? Seems like using a Jabsco Ballast Puppy with a single through hull fitting would be a very simple and easy setup. One vent through hull under the rub rail. Wire it up with a switch and I am done. Wouldn't that work?

erkoehler
04-08-2007, 03:19 PM
The 2007 models utilize the same thru hull fitting for filling and draining. The down side is you have to open up the seat to see if the bag is empty instead of just listening for the water to stop shooting out the side.

BrianM
04-08-2007, 03:33 PM
The 2007 models utilize the same thru hull fitting for filling and draining. The down side is you have to open up the seat to see if the bag is empty instead of just listening for the water to stop shooting out the side.

Good to know. Would rather use the same fitting. Do ypu think the bag I posted above would work?

erkoehler
04-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I prefer these:

Pro X Series Fat Brick - W702
dimensions: 16 x 16 x 16 weight: 155 lbs. / 70 kg.

Do you have a “larger” buddy that makes it difficult to balance the weight distribution in your ride? The Pro X Series Fat Brick will help you solve this problem. This little thing weighs in at 155 pounds when full. Its handles and compact size allow you to quickly reposition it to fine-tune the boat’s wake and eliminate any unwanted wash.

http://fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html

Plus, I can order it and ship it to you and save you some $$$ :)

BrianM
04-08-2007, 04:05 PM
I prefer these:

Pro X Series Fat Brick - W702
dimensions: 16 x 16 x 16 weight: 155 lbs. / 70 kg.

Do you have a “larger” buddy that makes it difficult to balance the weight distribution in your ride? The Pro X Series Fat Brick will help you solve this problem. This little thing weighs in at 155 pounds when full. Its handles and compact size allow you to quickly reposition it to fine-tune the boat’s wake and eliminate any unwanted wash.

http://fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html

Plus, I can order it and ship it to you and save you some $$$ :)

I'm afraid that a perfectly square one like that might want to roll. Maybe I am wrong. Also looks like that bag retails for twice as much as the one I posted. PM me a price if you would.

erkoehler
04-08-2007, 04:10 PM
I don't think the bag would roll. I will PM you a price tomorow, I am not working today and let y binder of pricing on my desk.

p.s. Posting from "Q" phoned

LD Hardwick
04-09-2007, 03:53 AM
Have you considered plumbing the vent to the bilge discharge. You could install a check valve on the vent line, this would aid in emptying the bag and prevent the bilge from filling it. Might want to put a check on the bilge line too. Know what I mean. I have not done this but I have a '98 205 I am thinking about installing a ballast system in when I get home next month. And I am not fond of drilling holes when I don't need too.

BrianM
04-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Have you considered plumbing the vent to the bilge discharge. You could install a check valve on the vent line, this would aid in emptying the bag and prevent the bilge from filling it. Might want to put a check on the bilge line too. Know what I mean. I have not done this but I have a '98 205 I am thinking about installing a ballast system in when I get home next month. And I am not fond of drilling holes when I don't need too.
The only thing is the bilge drain line is on the other side of the boat. I don't mind drilling holes. Day after I brought this one home I drilled a 2" hole in the bottom for perfect pass. Hasn't leaked a drop. Once you have drilled on the others are no big deal.

André
04-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Brian
Is the leaning on your 97 with only a driver that bad?
My 94 run pretty level with driver only,not bad enough to add a MTS...
The checkvavles ideas for emptying by the bilge seems good.

BrianM
04-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Brian
Is the leaning on your 97 with only a driver that bad?
My 94 run pretty level with driver only,not bad enough to add a MTS...
The checkvavles ideas for emptying by the bilge seems good.
No it isn't bad, in fact it is a LOT better than it was on my '88. But everything helps. Also thought it would be a cool project but it is looking like it may be a little more expensive than I thought. $250 for a pump is pretty spendy.

H20skeefreek
01-20-2008, 09:44 AM
talking about this over here:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=447876#post447876

input would be welcome

Ski Bum
01-21-2008, 01:16 AM
Not saying a bag wont work. But would permanently mounting a bag be hard to get all the water out when not in use. My mts emptys out complety. But takes up a lot of room. A bag when empty would give you your space back though.

BrianM
01-21-2008, 08:33 AM
As long as it is vented with a check valve installed you should be able to suck the bag completely dry with no problems.

H20skeefreek
01-21-2008, 09:11 AM
As long as it is vented with a check valve installed you should be able to suck the bag completely dry with no problems.
I am concerned about being able to pump it dry and running the pump dry. Any reversible pump, will be an impeller pump, which you shouldn't run dry.

And a check valve in the vent line will cause air to not be able to go back into the bag, not allowing it to drain fully.

BrianM
01-21-2008, 10:30 AM
I am concerned about being able to pump it dry and running the pump dry. Any reversible pump, will be an impeller pump, which you shouldn't run dry.

And a check valve in the vent line will cause air to not be able to go back into the bag, not allowing it to drain fully.
Everything I have read says that you put a check valve in the vent line. This is what allows the bag to pump completely dry, creating the vaccum like suction in the bag. You do not want air to be able to get back in the bag you just want it to be able to escape when you fill. If you have an open vent line it is possible that the pump will not prime or will lose prime and suck air not sucking the bag dry.

With the impeller pumps you do have to make sure you do not run them dry (for long). Just have to keep an eye on it so you don't fry the pump..

Ski Bum
01-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Brian let me know how it works. If it doesnt roll around going around the turn islands and pumps out completely. I like the idea because it would give space back when not in use.

BrianM
01-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Since I am keeping the '97 another year I am looking into this more again. Just got a quote from Fly High On making this custom sac. It will hold 24 gallons so will be about 192 lbs. Will also have two handles at the top so it could be strapped to keep it from rolling. Quote from them was $249. With a Siemers reversable pump for $79 and some other hose and fittings it looks like the whole thing with this sac would be a little less than $400. This sac would be very nice in that it would sit up against the side nicely like the hard tank does yet when empty would take up very little space or with the quick connect fittings easily removed completely. Hmmmmm......