PDA

View Full Version : Towing another boat

Utahfoiler
04-08-2007, 11:59 AM
What is the best way to tow another boat? I went out this weekend on Friday and Saturday. Friday I have to jump start 1 boat and tow 1 boat back to the marina. Saturday I had to jump 2 boats(a supra and a POS bayliner), and I towed 2 boats back to the marina. One was a Malibu, its engine had seized on him. The other was a fishing boat that lost his prop. When I was towing, I was only going 3-5mph. I would vary the speed while towing. Also I always use their rope. I did not want to get my rope out, and if it broke, it would not be my rope that broke while towing.

So what is the best way to tow someone? Is it hard on the engine?

Also, make sure your boat runs before you put it in the water, and the battery is charged.

michael freeman
04-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I carry a Y-strap that hooks to both the lift hooks on the back of my boat and then would use what ever ropes they have from that to their boat. I have an old ski rope to use as last resort

I've heard you should move most of the people onto your boat, but I would just leave them in their's and take it slow unless they were really cute girls. At which point, it would only be safe for them to ride with me. :)

bigmac
04-08-2007, 12:39 PM
What is the best way to tow another boat? I went out this weekend on Friday and Saturday. Friday I have to jump start 1 boat and tow 1 boat back to the marina. Saturday I had to jump 2 boats(a supra and a POS bayliner), and I towed 2 boats back to the marina. One was a Malibu, its engine had seized on him. The other was a fishing boat that lost his prop. When I was towing, I was only going 3-5mph. I would vary the speed while towing. Also I always use their rope. I did not want to get my rope out, and if it broke, it would not be my rope that broke while towing.

So what is the best way to tow someone? Is it hard on the engine?
If and when I tow someone, I hook the rope up to my rear towing eye and let the towee attach the rope on his boat wherever he wants. We go slow. It's not hard on anything. I encourage them to use their own tow rope, but inevitably it's just a short mooring line so I always end up adding one or more of mine to theirs in order to keep them far enough behind me. Hooking the rope in a Y to the lifing eyes in the back is not a bad idea if it's going to be a long pull, or if it's a big boat.

I don't put the MC in for the season until the Whaler is already in and functional in case I do need a tow and no one else is around, and I make sure that whoever is driving the trailer back after launching the MasterCraft has their cell phone with them, and that I have mine, so I can call them back to the ramp if I can get there, or so I can tell them to get the Whaler and come tow me. When I do launch the MasterCraft at the beginning of the season, I don't leave the trailer until it starts, it reaches operating temp and stays there, and inspection of the bilges shows no water coming in.

erkoehler
04-08-2007, 12:39 PM
I have towed some one in using my docklines hooked to the rear tow eye on the x7.

danno or rockman may have a picture.....

east tx skier
04-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Hooked to both rear lifting rings and just barely above idle.

Utahfoiler
04-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Last year I did not tow anyone, but this year, I have done more that I want to. The malibu drive offered to pay me and I said no, but he kept insisting to give me $10 for the tow. I agreed, and he handed me a wadded up bill. I just threw it in the glove box and went back skiing. Later I looked at it and it was a $50.

I will offer to help someone, because I never will know when I will need it.

dmayer84
04-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Last year I did not tow anyone, but this year, I have done more that I want to. The malibu drive offered to pay me and I said no, but he kept insisting to give me $10 for the tow. I agreed, and he handed me a wadded up bill. I just threw it in the glove box and went back skiing. Later I looked at it and it was a $50.

I have to agree with you on that one. I got towed in on my first day out. I learned the hard way that the sender was off. I will always tow someone if they need it, never gonna know when its you.

WakeSeeky
04-08-2007, 02:19 PM

We will always help someone for that very reason. It's easy to find yourself miles from a marina and needing help here, so we figure it's just good lake karma to help someone else when they need it.

We've always pulled from the rear tow eye and let the other boat tie up wherever convenient for them. Speed depends on conditions, but never all that fast. It's much easier if you can use their rope, that way when we get to the marina we just untie the rope and toss it to someone on the dock without any complicated trying-to-retrieve-the-rope maneuvers.

JLeuck64
04-08-2007, 02:32 PM
I have volunteered to work as a tow boat for a drag boat competition before. They provided all the tow ropes. A unique design that works really slick! Basically it is an S hook tied on to the end of your standard poly vinyl ski rope. They slide the rope through a 6 foot piece of 1 in. dia. PVC pipe. The hook is duct taped to the end of the pipe. When you approach a boat after it completes its run you reach over and hook onto the bow. As long as you are under way (idle speed) the tension will keep the two boats together. When you drop into neutral the hook will drop off the boat being towed! After a little practice we were able to line up with their trailer and drop them off so they would continue to coast in! Everyone usually has a few folks in the water to catch of course, because some of those boats are mostly floating motors and VERY expensive.

If you ever have the opportunity to do this I highly recommend it! The best seat in the house! You just have to work for it.

TMCNo1
04-08-2007, 03:57 PM
I've always heard it was common courtesy for the person being towed to supply a rope. Attach to any eye on the transom to the towed boat's boweye and tow at idle or barely above.

jimmer2880
04-08-2007, 07:58 PM
every year I have to tow my floating lift dock to & from the boat slip & where it spends the summer. It is not all that easy to tow. When I used anything in the rear in the past, my steering was severely limited. I have started using the pilon just for ease of stearing.

For a rope, I use a multi-person tube rope. Then, I toss a pair of life-jackets over the rope "just in case".

bigmac
04-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I've always heard it was common courtesy for the person being towed to supply a rope. I'm sure it is, but if they don't have one long enough or strong enough, whaddyagonnado?

I do know that we'd have to find a different towing solution if my Spectra rope was the only one in either boat.

ilikeitglacy
04-08-2007, 09:20 PM
i really didn't want to show this one...:D ya know rope ... prop....

Doug G
04-08-2007, 09:38 PM
I towed 2 other boats last year. Tied a rope to both back lift rings. Nice and slow working the throttle so line tension is maintained and all was well. Got towed once when wouldn't start cuz of neutral safety cut out.

I always tow when someone needs it. It is just a matter of when it will be my turn to be on the other end of the rope.