PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned? unwinterized the boat and then temps dropped

badams
04-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Ok, I unwinterized the boat last Sunday and everything went great. I didn't put the boat back in the garage that day. No big deal because temps weren't supposed to drop in the next couple of days. Well, my wife went into labor so off we went to the hospital. During the 32 hours of labor the whole forecast changed (welcome to Kansas City) and the lows dropped in the early morning hours to the 25-27 degree range. The highs were in the high 30's to the low 40's during the day. I'm really concerned that I might have a problem with the block freezing. Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned. I had one guy tell me that I shouldn't have anything to worry about if the temps were only below freezing for a few hours at a time. Can anyone give me some advice on this? Is there any way to find out if there has been any damage without taking the boat to the dealer and having them take the whole engine apart.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

phecksel
04-07-2007, 08:23 PM
If you start the boat and water comes out all over the place, you have a problem. Literally, there's not a good way to tell, because there are so many places for potential damage.

Having said all that, was it an attached garage? I wouldn't be as worried then.

I'm babysitting my boat and space heater right now. Mine is sitting outside on the lift, snowing in blizzard like conditions, with temps in the low 20's, praying for a temp break.

BCBlazers
04-07-2007, 08:52 PM
well think about this, you've got the engine covered already so the air and temp has to penetrate all that, but as long as it doesn't stay below freezing for a long time, you should be ok

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 09:32 PM
I drained mine here in Michigan last night because I was worried about it. It has not been above freezing in three days though. If its an attached garage and temps were near 40 during the day you should be fine. Just in case I would toss a shop light inside the motor box and close it when you finally get home.

And...

Screw the boat. Let's see the baby pictures!!!

Congrats are in order, yes?

Steve

badams
04-07-2007, 11:21 PM
I drained mine here in Michigan last night because I was worried about it. It has not been above freezing in three days though. If its an attached garage and temps were near 40 during the day you should be fine. Just in case I would toss a shop light inside the motor box and close it when you finally get home.

And...

Screw the boat. Let's see the baby pictures!!!

Congrats are in order, yes?

Steve

Ok. That makes me feel better. I did drive home last night and back the boat into the garage.

We are still at the hospital so I don't have any pics downloaded. Here is a link to the nursery website though.

Ty Wesley Adams: http://www.growingfamily.com/webnursery/babypage_view.asp?URLID=4Y3K6X8A6G

badams
04-07-2007, 11:22 PM
well think about this, you've got the engine covered already so the air and temp has to penetrate all that, but as long as it doesn't stay below freezing for a long time, you should be ok

Thanks for the info. I don't think it stayed below freezing for more than a few hours.

badams
04-07-2007, 11:27 PM
If you start the boat and water comes out all over the place, you have a problem. Literally, there's not a good way to tell, because there are so many places for potential damage.

Do you mean if water comes out of the motor in the engine compartment? I know it sounds like a dumb question but I don't know much about engines let alone marine engines. The boat was actually outside both nights. I left the hospital for a while last night to go back it into the garage. My garage is not heated but it's insulated really well. I'm guess I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope we are ok.

badams

Do you mean if water comes out of the motor in the engine compartment? I know it sounds like a dumb question but I don't know much about engines let alone marine engines. The boat was actually outside both nights. I left the hospital for a while last night to go back it into the garage. My garage is not heated but it's insulated really well. I'm guess I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope we are ok.

Monte
Ok. That makes me feel better. I did drive home last night and back the boat into the garage.

We are still at the hospital so I don't have any pics downloaded. Here is a link to the nursery website though.

Ty Wesley Adams: http://www.growingfamily.com/webnursery/babypage_view.asp?URLID=4Y3K6X8A6G
Cute boy you got there! Congrats, hope the little guy and mom are doing well... Congrats!!

Bruce
04-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Not to worry. Enjoy the baby. Those temps for no longer than that should not cause you a problem. Besides what can you do now? When you run it watch the temp. gauge if there is a problem it will show up there. No need to tear an engine down now.

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm guessing your going to be fine. The boat will be fine and that child of yours looks to be very precious.

Congratulations - Steve

phecksel
04-08-2007, 01:48 PM

I forgot to offer congrats to you and mom.

Put it in the water, start the engine and look carefully for water squirting out of the block, exhaust, or trans lines. If everything looks ok, run it for a little while, shut it down and check the oil. Assuming it's not milky looking, you're probably fine.