PDA

View Full Version : Another 4010 rebuild

mrG
04-07-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm going to attempt to rebuild my 4010 this week. Lately, the boat has been running rough with a lot of rich smoke, and would barely idle (hunting/surging).
Since the 4010 is no longer available and any alternate model would be expensive and require additional mods to retrofit; ie fuel line, pump etc... I'll risk the the cost of the renew kit ($55) and take my chances. Who knows, I might even learn a thing or two about carbs.
However, if it goes like some of the other threads on rebuilding the "Fishbowl" , I may be back to bow at the altar of the Holley 4160.
Here goes!

east tx skier
04-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't think you would need a new pump. I didn't. Just a fuel line and the adapter plate.

I'm not going to try to talk you out of the rebuild. My dealer tried to talk me out of it and I told them the same thing (let's try the less expensive route first). They rebuilt mine and in the end, I ended up with the 4160 (lesson learned) and the reliability has been exceptional.

I hope you have better luck than I did. Good luck.

/P.S. Since you are doing the rebuild yourself, it does make a bit more sense to try it than it did in my case since I paid someone $175 to rebuild mine (even though they assured me ahead of time that it probably wouldn't make a difference).

alp
04-07-2007, 04:47 PM
I'd been considering a 4010 rebuild or replacement for a 92 too. 98% of the time it run perfect, sometimes it does not want to idle - after shutting off and re-starting. I did lot's of web research and was ready to replace the carb, until I checked with my local MC service dept and a local independant marine mechanic. Both said the carb is fine, might need a little more attention than the single feed. Interestingly, both also said I should re-place both fuel filters, in-line and at the fuel pump, and if it's been more than 2 years since last tune-up, change the plugs, cap, rotor. BTW Lakeside Restorations in PA said they can get a new 4010, price is is around $520. Tough call though, I've read about several people who have not had good experiences with the 4010.

TNH2oSkier
04-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Check with a PCM dealer, you can get a PCM rebuilt 4160 for a lot less then new. That was my solution when I had my 92' PS190. In fact I purchased mine from www.whitelake.com.

east tx skier
04-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Check with a PCM dealer, you can get a PCM rebuilt 4160 for a lot less then new. That was my solution when I had my 92' PS190. In fact I purchased mine from www.whitelake.com.

But you'll still need to find a fuel line from elsewhere as the one compatible with their fuel pump won't work with the Indmar setup if I understand correctly.

mrG
04-07-2007, 07:19 PM
After disassembling the 4010 I expected to find a nasty mess inside but to my surprise, the bowls, jets, and power valve all looked to be pretty clean. Atleast on the surface.
One problem I did find was during the removal of the jets. I found that one of the main jets was cross threaded in the body. Yikes! Since the threads looked to be boogered up I consulted with Holley Tech and they advised me to pick up a Holley jet tap kit ($45). I couldn't locate one in stock so I tried to find a 1/4 x 32 tap to chase out the threads. Apparently that's an odd size so no luck there. I ended up using a jet with some cutting oil and very carefully worked the jet on the threads until it would thread in smoothly.
Everything is soaking in cleaner now and should ready for rinse in a few hours. Then reassembly over the next couple of days.

east tx skier
04-07-2007, 07:41 PM
After disassembling the 4160 I expected to find a nasty mess inside but to my surprise, the bowls, jets, and power valve all looked to be pretty clean. Atleast on the surface.
One problem I did find was during the removal of the jets. I found that one of the main jets was cross threaded in the body. Yikes! Since the threads looked to be boogered up I consulted with Holley Tech and they advised me to pick up a Holley jet tap kit ($45). I couldn't locate one in stock so I tried to find a 1/4 x 32 tap to chase out the threads. Apparently that's an odd size so no luck there. I ended up using a jet with some cutting oil and very carefully worked the jet on the threads until it would thread in smoothly.
Everything is soaking in cleaner now and should ready for rinse in a few hours. Then reassembly over the next couple of days.

You mean 4010, right?

mrG
04-07-2007, 07:49 PM
You mean 4010, right?
Yup that's what I meant. Thanks eastie.

TNH2oSkier
04-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Whitelake had them in stock, picked it up with the carb. This was several years ago though.

But you'll still need to find a fuel line from elsewhere as the one compatible with their fuel pump won't work with the Indmar setup if I understand correctly.

east tx skier
04-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Whitelake had them in stock, picked it up with the carb. This was several years ago though.

Gotcha. For whatever reason, you can't get the hard lines that match up with the fuel pumps in our boats to easily anymore (if at all). My local CC dealer has hard fuel lines for it, but only for their pumps.

mrG
04-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Today I put the 4010 back together wihtout any major problems. The biggest problem I had was finding the flange gasket that goes between the manifold and the spacer. I made the mistake of not ordering it when I bought the renew kit. Anyway, I had to drive across town to a marine dealer to get the right one.
Once bolted on and fuel line connected, It fired right up and only needed minor adjustments to get it idling smoothly.
Since the carb didn't seem too dirty, I really think the problem I had with surging and stalling at idle along with rich exhaust smoke was due primarily to the floats not being adjusted properly (from a previous rebuild) allowing the bowls to overflow into the intake. BTW, the floats seemed to be in good condition but I decided to replace them with the newer Holley Nitrophyl floats that should last longer.
I plan to take it out on the lake this weekend for a test run.

Hoosier Bob
04-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Good luck! Floats would have been my guess. I have some info on adjusting the 4010 floats. PM if you need.

mrG
04-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the offer. Since the instructions were not crystal clear on how to adjust the floats I called Holley tech to inquire. It sounds crude but all he said to do was bend the little ears down until the floats are level with the airhorn (when held upside down). That's it!
I must say that the techs at Holley were great. If any problem or question came up during the rebuild they were quick to answer the phone and help.

Hoosier Bob
04-11-2007, 11:31 PM
That is what it says in my book. Then while running you can set if needed. That is exactly correct!:D Thanks for the offer. Since the instructions were not crystal clear on how to adjust the floats I called Holley tech to inquire. It sounds crude but all he said to do was bend the little ears down until the floats are level with the airhorn (when held upside down). That's it!
I must say that the techs at Holley were great. If any problem or question came up during the rebuild they were quick to answer the phone and help.