PDA

View Full Version : Trunk issue on 1999 Maristar 230vrs

Bruce
04-07-2007, 12:07 PM
As those of you with this boat know there is a carpeted divider on each side of the engine. On the driver side you simply undo nylon wing nut and lay it flat.(If I remember it has a piano hinge on the bottom) However on the other side this is not possible because the divider is between the engine and the electrical powered strut for the sundeck/engine cover.
In fact the carpet divider actually is up against the exhaust manifold. It looks as if it has alway been that way. The carpet must be heat resistant as I do not see any signs of burn. The other concern is you can't get to that side of the engine. The only way would be to disconnect the power strut. Is this a design flaw or am I missing something?

FrankSchwab
04-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Raise the sunpad all the way up, pull the pin at the bottom and at the top of the actuator (near the floor, and on the bottom of the sunpad), disconnect the electrical connector at the bottom of the actuator, and lift the actuator out of the engine compartment.

Oh, by the way, find someone or something to hold up the sunpad when you do this.

Now, you'll be able to drop the divider the same was as you did on the other side of the engine. It takes an extra minute or two, but isn't that big of a deal.

BTW, removing the carpeted panel at the back of the compartment will give you an extra 6-12 inches of depth; just enough (on mine) to fit an Air Chair in there.

/frank

Bruce
04-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks Frank. I kinda thought that might be the case but I was not sure. Does your carpeted divider touch the exhaust manifold? Must be some serious carpet since it is not even scorched. Good advice on extra space at back.
Happy Easter,
Bruce

FrankSchwab
04-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Yes, it touches the exhaust manifold. I don't think it's an issue, since I believe that the exhaust manifold has a water jacket on it to keep it from getting too hot (900 degree manifolds in a fairly well sealed engine compartment are not conducive to a good day on the lake). Note that the exhaust manifolds dump into a rubber hose - you couldn't possibly do that without the water that gets dumped into the exhaust stream just past the manifold.

/frank

Bruce
04-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Frank you have put my mechanically challenged mind at rest! Thanks again.
Bruce